University of Portsmouth Students' Union

Working at University of Portsmouth Students' Union: 9 University of Portsmouth Students' Union Reviews

United Kingdom9 reviews

Great for experience, major company culture issues

The Union has a high turn over of casual staff due to the student population and a high turn over of career staff due to the 'dead end' feeling of roles within the Union. As a student, the Union provides good part time roles with a zero hour contract which allows a work/life balance. However, student staff are not treated with the same respect or gratitude for the work they do compared to their career counterparts. Company culture is a major issue, where gossip culture and a general lack of awareness can be highlighted. Working at the Union is unlike a normal office environment due to a lack of professional behaviour displayed by a minority of staff that persists despite managements attempts to 'train and educate'.I do not feel that over my time at the company major issues that have been highlighted time and time again have been addressed. However, if someone is looking for a short term job or quick employment to bolster their CV, I would recommend the Union just for the potiential training you can get involved with.

Pros

Flexible hours for student and career staff

Cons

Clique and unmanaged company culture, pay is not competitive

Varied but stressful

Lots of hard work with minimal outcome due to lack of student interest and engagement. Cliquey “family” culture. However the projects can be interesting and varied - I would recommend this as a first career to get the skills and experience.

Good for the right person, but that wasn’t me.

Although staff turnover is high, largely due to the nature of the people that work there (graduates largely) it can be a great place to work with amazing benefits. Personally, the KPI’s that were set were largely meaningless, but valuable to UPSU. Found it difficult to see that any work done within UPSU made and difference to students or the wider community which did not give me any job satisfaction being a mental health employer is a positive, but it did not help with my mental health due to a lack of structure

Great Place to Work

I was only a volunteer for the campaign team, I was there for a year and all the staff were lovely. My tasks were fun and I really enjoyed the year and i would definitely do it again.

it was a voluntary work

it gave me a sense of responsibility and taught me how to be able to manage people affairs and be able to do well at the university at the same time. overall it was a wonderful challenge that shaped different sides of my personality.

An amazing part time job

Did this job along finishing my final year at the University of Portsmouth. I have learnt so much by working on different research projects, would recommend this opportunity to any student.

Pros

An opportunity to develop research skills

Productive and fun workplace

Great team of people and rewarding role. Training provided. Fantastic opportunity for representing and supporting students and helping change the university for the better.

Fun and Engaging Workplace

The Students' Union is a fantastic place to work. The support that they provide for their staff is second to none and the training and morale in the workplace is fantastic. My time at the Union allowed me many opportunities to develop and a typical day was never a typical day. All the staff are keen and engaging and love their jobs, which makes it such a fantastic place to work.

Pros

Training and Development

Cons

Lower Salary Rates

Good place to develop

Good work environment in which to learn new skills and meet a range of different people on a daily basis. Rewarding helping students daily.

Pros

NUS Extra card

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Portsmouth Students' Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement