University of Portsmouth logo
University of Portsmouth

University of Portsmouth Employee Reviews

4.2
Work-life balance

A very academic and pleasant atmosphere to work

Although it was not for a long time that I taught there , but it left a very positive effect on me. The attitude of the co- workers , management and appreciation of good work , were all encouragements to work with utmost love and joy.

Fun and Friendly

Excellent place to work. Staff friendly, colleagues friendly, manager was good. Manager's manager was a bit uptight at times but otherwise very much enjoyed working here. Would highly recommend to any students or graduates

Pros

Friendly, Good Pay, Laid Back Approach

Really friendly and professional place to work. They really invest in their staff and actively encourage their staff to further their career, they even provide a generous staff training allowance.

Great workplace for students

This position at Portsmouth University was the best job I ever had. Flexible working hours, a supportive working environment and a good salary made the job easy and relaxing.

Productive and fun

Great volunteering experience! My job was to advise and mentor the 1st and 2nd year Interior Design students at University, whilst I was in my third year.

Broken management organisation

Totally dysfunctional strategic management layer. Were still recruiting new staff despite an enormous deficit and then immediately made them at risk of redundancy. Some faculties totally gutted with SHHSW having 60% of teaching and academic staff put at risk, and some courses losing 80% of all teaching staff to deliver courses. Absolute disconnect between day to day management who try their best and the strategic layer, so no reassurance is accurate or trustworthy.

Depends on where you end up

Working in UoP might be quite satisfying if you end up in a good department. But chances of it quite slim, so you just continue your robotic activities hating the world around you

fun place

Planned and scheduled interviews of students in an efficient manner. Played a vital role in providing creative ideas to the project managers to exceed students’ expectations and gain satisfaction. Collaborated with a team of other BAME students to achieve common goals and targets. Key Accomplishments: Earned profit of (currency sign)3K for exceptional assistance and dedication towards work excellence.

Scope of learning

Overall it was a good experience. As a research student, I was looking for a platform to get some experience in teaching and got it through the Portsmouth university.

Chef at Portsmouth Uni

Job was not too bad, Halls managers ethics and methods left a lot to be desired. HR very weak and not willing to deal with blatantly repetitively, troublesome staff members, spoiled the job really.Good work life balance and made some good friends.

Jobs at University of Portsmouth

See more jobs

Hours are a joke and plenty of bullying from all levels

shift patterns are a joke, plenty of bullying from management, your not allowed an opinion even though it could save money,You are treated like dirt by senior staff and students

Productive and Relaxed

The work was relaxed and I had to simply tell potential student applicants about my course. The management was very professional and worked well with the employees.

Would not recommend the Catering Department

The University as a company is great, the benefits and support available to staff are exceptional, however the Catering department do not support or invest in staff development or staff welfare and if you are absent for any reason then you will find management speak very unlikely about you

Great opportunity to allow me to teach others.

This was a great experience to allow me to pass my knowledge from university to the new students in a more relaxed way that with a tutor. I really enjoyed it.

Παραγωγικό και ήρεμο περιβάλλον

Εκπαίδευση Πρακτική Υποστήριξη μετά το πέρας των σπουδών

mostly easy work

Good place to work as a housekeeping assistant. Did this job as temporary staff over the summer. Management are nice, pay is good, was a perfect part time job. Sometimes felt unorganised, and buildings would get very hot during warm weather (no a/c or ventilation) which made it a bit unpleasant to work sometimes

Productive and fun workplace

I was a temp for the clearing lines and would have an early start, and long day. This was hard however they did provide us with tea/coffee snacks throughout the day. I learned professional skills and gained good experience to put on my CV.

Productive and fun workplace

The company is a relaxed place to work. A typical day involves answering phone calls and emails, provide outstanding levels of customer service. The team are very productive whilst having an autonomous culture.

`ll ok

enjoyed studying here, was a very nice environment and the tutors are always keen to help on any issues. portsmouth is a lovely place to live with good night life.

creative workplace

Good staff, friendly atmosphere. Able to be creative and supported. Well kitted out. Able to work well with staff and students alike. I really enjoyed my time here.

Feeling the strain

The University of Portsmouth has been a fantastic place to work. However external and internal pressures lead to an increase in student numbers from 16,500 ft when I started, to 32,500 last year which led to some work pressures. However, overall the place on a day to day basis was collegiate, exciting and offered plenty of new opportunities. Having come from industry, my most enjoyable part of my role as a senior lecturer was to reach out to commercial companies and create productive projects and collaborations, which in turn led to fantastic job opportunities for graduates.

Pros

Investing in infrastructure. Exciting and dynamic environment

Cons

workload increases and grade inflation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Portsmouth. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2