University of Reading

University of Reading Employee Reviews

United Kingdom103 reviews

readingstudentcampussupporthelpfulfriendlystaffrecommend

Good University Environment

Worked for 4 years as a research assistant. Friendly environment, great colleagues and supervisors. Didn't have to deal with HR too much at the time so cannot comment on that aspect

Busy but fun environment

Answering a high volume of incoming calls for Adjustment and Clearing applications for A-level students trying to get into the university. This involved: - Completing short courses on the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000. - Familiarising with all the various types of international qualifications. - Adapting to any questions regarding the Adjustment and Clearing process and/or the University itself.

Insights into University of Reading

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager

A great volunteer position

This was only a volunteer position so I cannot go into much detail. The campus is beautiful and there is a great atmosphere.

Management need training in how to manage people!

It used to be a great place to work (I've been there 10 years). However management turn a blind eye to bullying and don't want to know when it's brought up. They will always have excuses for the Senior member of staff's behaviour and will turn it round to the complainer who is usually more junior and will become the fall guy. I was told to put up with it and then told it's my fault. There is a major blame culture going on. It's a shame because it could be (and was) a good place to work but not anymore.

Pros

Lovely campus

Worst management I've experienced in over 24 years of employment

Awful management and decision making. Culture of bullying which is accepted (swept under carpet) by management. Extremely unstable at moment due to cuts.

Pros

Beautiful campus, lots of perks such as free training, lunchtime concerts, bike maintenance, discounts etc.

Cons

Extremely poor management, culture of bullying which is accepted by management, spent millions on PwC consultancy whilst making hundreds of staff redundant

Pathological Anatomy Division

The laboratory is specialized in the histologic study of human tissues and biological samples, in order to discover eventual tumor cells. The main activities are automated Immunohistochemistry(HIC) and microscopy. The division is composed by 8 medicines and a technical staff of around 10-12 people. The typical day at work starts at 8 am and ends at 3pm. In this environment I learned to work team , relating to both medicines and technicians, and I have learned the IHC techniques with the automated machine Ventana Systems.

Pros

team working

Cons

Productive, fast paced working enviroment

As a Student Ambassadors I had a pivotal role within the team acting as positive role models enthusing about their experiences to prospective students that may want to join the University. Allowing me to become a highly motivated individual with a real passion for the University and a desire to convey that enthusiasm to prospective students. Providing excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with a range of visitors from prospective students and their parents, to school teachers and University staff.

Challenging with very amicable co workers

University of Reading as an employer was extremely supportive, being part of a company the size of a University with such a firm belief in learning and development allowed me to flourish in my role; offering several chances to go on courses, conferences and other learning experiences.

Very interesting workplace

During my internship at The University of Reading I have learned many techiniques: immunological techniques (ELISA assay), lipid profiling (ILAB), FISH, in vitro batch cultures, DNA extraction and microbiological techniques. The envoironment is very friendly and fun, and even if sometimes the job is hard, the co-workers are all very helpful.

Excellent place to work

I have undertaken research at the University of Reading for the past few months, where I have investigated epilepsy. My responsibilities included measurement of activity from epileptic animal tissue, extraction of animal tissue for experimentation, creating animal models of epilepsy and animal behaviour tests. The management and co-workers were very friendly and helpful.

Pros

Great supervisors and learnt wide range of skills

Cons

Hard work expected but great people to work with

There is a hard work ethic within the University. However the extra that people do is not always acknowledged; it depends on the department you are in and the Director of that department. There are some great staff and the grounds are fantastic.

Pros

No fixed working hours per week

Cons

No fixed working hours per week

currently going through a restructure of support staff

I have enjoyed working for the University of Reading the last 18 years but with the current restructure of support staff I opted to take voluntary redundancy as they do not seem to have clear information available on what changes will be made. I will however consider jobs that do become available back at the University as I have now decided to consider part-time positions, they are a good employer and the grounds etc. make it a lovely place to work

Wonderful

I really enjoy working for the University of Reading on a Part time Basis, it was a really great atmosphere and the History Department was a wonderful team to be involved it. As it was only on a part time basis, there is not a typical day as such, all the days are different. I got to talk and discuss with lecturers regarding the social media strategy and our presence in social media. I was engaged in Visit Day and Open Day where I got to talk to prospective students and parents regarding University life and share my experiences as a students.

Great place to work and thriwe

I cannot speak for the entire University of Reading, but Meteorology department is great and very keen on giving the best to it's employees and research staff, consciously looking to improve everyone's work/life balance, women equality and especially supporting new mum's returning to work.

Very productive work place

A busy office with applications and emails are the main duties, staff very friendly with a social gatherings, book club. Learned new procedures in the last few months with new email system and paperless applications.

It was always a fun and very vibrant place to work in.

On any given day there would be a wide variety of tasks to carry out, including stock control, customer service maintaining standards of cleanliness which were always very high. I learnt to not just think fast on my feet, but to have both the stamina and the desire to carry a heavy work load at times because it could be a very busy place to work in which is the aspect of my job that I enjoyed the most. My co-workers and the supervisors that I worked with were never anything less then hardworking, diligent at what they had to do and were always great fun to be around. It was never a chore to work there so I can't honestly say that there was a really hard aspect of the job. The easiest part of the job on the other hand was the fact that I got to interact with different people and that I had to graft hard every day.

Pros

The hard work involved and interacting with customers

Cons

Sometimes the hours could be long

Relaxed and interesting place to work

The University of Reading is a fun place to work with good colleagues and a friendly atmosphere. You are given freedom to explore your own ideas. Career development very much depends on what manager you have and there is not much scope for upwards movement in my department as it is quite small.

Friendly workplaces with people pleasant to work with

I worked mostly at JSP Ltd in the KTP post. I investigated the manufacturing processes at JSP and conducting various experiments at the university. I learned how to manage a project, a number of analytical techniques and life in a manufacturing environment.

Pros

Varied job, included doing a diploma

Cons

Would have like to have been able to have done more lab work.

Great place for research

I am with University of Reading for last three years and it is one of the best places one can chose for research. As a researcher, I am free to chose how I work. I start early and finish early but there are others who prefer late evenings for work and it works very well either way. Working with some of the best brains in the world means I learn continuously from them. The hardest part of being a researcher is to be creative and effective at the same time and to expect the unexpected at any point of time.

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

Sometimes you need to work almost 24x7

An interactive and adaptable workplace

The office at the Students Union is constantly buzzing with students, all requiring help for their respective sports club. You need to be able to multi task a variety of different jobs at one time and really utilise the quieter periods to complete work requirements. Never a dull moment in the office and always having to think on your feet.

Good & supportive

Volunatrily helping PhD student. Learnt more about the SE microscope. plenty more more features to understand and develop in.

Pros

Close proximity to town

Cons

Availability sometimes challenging

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Reading. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Reading with

University of Reading reviews by location

Learn about University of Reading in popular locations