University of Salford
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

University of Salford Employee Reviews

United Kingdom75 reviews

Alright place to work

They don't really make you do much which is great. The job helps so that you don't sacrifice your other work or study times for it so if you want to get a bit of side money, this is the job for you

Poorly managed. Very low morale.

Worked for Salford Professional Development a company within the University. The management and leadership was the worst I have ever experienced over my 30 year career. Morale was at an all time low and employee resignations were prolific.

Pros

Cons

Poorly managed. No leadership. Low morale. Lack of commercial knowledge.

Insights into University of Salford

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

working as security

Salford university does not pay shift allowance upper management has actively thought against giving security shift allowance to its security officers, its pay is far below other universities, there is no reward for working public holidays or nights,and the staffing level shows it.

Pros

Cons

extremely low pay compared to other universities, no shift allowance, complelty awful rota

Best job I’ve ever had.

In all of my roles on my CV being a Social Media Assistant has been the best. If I hadn’t had left Manchester I would probably still be there as there are definitely opportunities to progress. The best managers, the best experiences and a place where you actually looked forward to go to.

A very supportive and professional environment

I enjoyed my time here. It was supportive, collaborative, creative, forward-thinking, diverse and a relaxed but peaceful modern environment for students and staff, with a good amount of facilities and greenery on campus.

Pros

Pay, hours, pension, environment

Cons

Not the easiest to commute to if not local to Manchester

Non-progressive workplace but may be a fit for some

Salford University is very slow paced and does not have a positive working culture. If you want a nice working and modern environment, then this is not the choice. The office itself is in one of the oldest buildings in the worst of states (reminds me of the office tv series) and some staff members, especially in I.T have been around for 10-20 years. They are reluctant to change and not very open minded and creative, which reflects on the project work and slow pace/culture. If you are aged below 30, I would not recommend this, especially if you are used to fast, enjoyable, creative and dynamic working environments. There are some great stakeholders around the university including students and academics who are great to work with and learn from and the company pension scheme and annual leave is very generous, including university closure days over Christmas.

Pros

Generous annual leave

Cons

Slow paced, toxic culture in I.T, difficult executive management team

Great people

Strong academic and research environment, professional admin team supports students and academics. Nice environment, train station and bus routes right to door and set in a lovely campus.

Lovely team, chaotic students (in a good way)

I like working there, the team I work with are lovely and in general the students respect and appreciate the effort the staff put in. Shame they don't have more teaching to send my way!

fun workplace

it is a good and supportive work environment that offers a large diversity of interactions as well as activities. There is no repetitiveness as the activities are flexible to accommodate different audiences.

frustrating like all Pubblic Jobs

It was a very interesting place to work, a mini-Council or mini-government, along with all the political parts that can make or break a project! I would do it all over again though

ok but dont expect to shine

If progression is your thing then i dont think SU is for you. training for advancement is non existent managerial jobs will go to whos face fits and NOT who can do the job role

Political

Hardest part of this job is the politics. The most enjoyable is the wide varierty of projects available to work on. It can be challenging as undergoing the tyransition from a public service type institution to more of a commercial organisation, and many people are not comfortable with the way it is changing.

Quite monotonous - but learnt a lot of new skills

I learnt a lot of new skills and covered Reception a lot of the time which I hadn't really done in previous placements. I enjoyed working there and met a lot of new people. it was also interesting as I was working with the students as well as staff members. I had also never worked in Podiatry before which was interesting.

Very varied and interesting job

There was a full range of tasks to complete on a daily basis from diary management, budget restraints, events organiser to general administrative duties.

Tertiary education was never going to have a future with this government.

Great team of people, good pay and good environment in a place that was built when higher education mattered. Times have changed, so jobs like this are increasingly hard to find.

research

I absolutely enjoyed being involved with breast cancer research at University of Salford. Working at Salford as a PhD student taught me how to work and research independently.

Great, caring management

I worked here as temporary research associate and had a fulfilling time, working with motivated and collaborative colleagues who maintained communication about shared objectives, making for a calm and friendly work environment.

Senior management were terrible. Bullying culture.

Counterproductive work culture. No respect for professional expertise. Worked for one senior manager who arrived, worked there a short time but managed to destroy morale across the whole organisation.

fun

It is a very nice place to work everyone is so helpful and they try and make life easy for you. the campus is full of life and time seems to fly when working there

Interactive, Friendly and Innovative place to study

Salford University has taught me a lot of exceptional skills, excluding engineering skills. The supervisors are very helpful and the workload is extensive however, the balance of work and life with this university is great.

Pros

Exam-Coursework ratio

Cons

Timetable

Student Fundraiser

A very comfortable, enjoyable workplace that gets the best out of you. There was a lot of encouragement and support. Overall it was very good and I would thoroughly recommend.

Pros

Regular breaks

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Salford. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Salford with

University of Salford reviews by location

Learn about University of Salford in popular locations