University of Sheffield

University of Sheffield Employee Reviews

United Kingdom107 reviews

universitystudentexperienceskillstaffsupportdepartmentfriendly

Good part-time job

I worked there remotely and part time whilst I was studying with them. I was paid well (minimum £10 for everyone + holiday pay as a casual worker) I and really enjoyed working with the team.

Productive and good place

Not a bad place to work at to be honest. My time here was quite short but I felt supported and happy. I’d recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a good opportunity.

Insights into University of Sheffield

What people like
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging

Good job

Quite an easy role, not much workload, very friendly work environment with lots of friendly people. Felt appreciated for the work I did and like my managers.

Fun and Collaborative

Working for your university is obviously fun and very flexible. I work here as an Ambassador and I get to work at different student events every week. The pay is also very lucrative compared to your traditional part-time job.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Lack of shift

A very good company to work for . Enjoyed every moment of my job .best environment for management experience . I will always recommend universally of Sheffield as a good organisation to work for

Pros

Good holiday

Cons

Sometimes work to late

Great pension scheme and annual leave allowance. Limited opportunities for progression.

Great pension scheme and annual leave allowance. Limited opportunities for development/progress/learning. Good job security, and fair pay. Would recommend for work life balance.

Pros

Fair pay, annual leave and pension. Job security.

Cons

Poor management, limited opportunities for development

Relax place to work

First year of uni was terrible but this was the case for 99% of students across the entire country with our entire learning experience being limited to online. However, second year has been entirely normal and has been a very enjoyable experience in comparison. Sheffield university has made the upmost effort to make things normal this year after the long haul of the covid pandemic. There are plenty of opportunities to try new extracurricular activities and plenty of staff support. The strikes have been awful as this has resulted in missing 3 weeks worth of content which we have paid for: equating to around £300/ week, so overall close to £1000 lost in terms of education. Sheffield is a brilliant city with plenty of things to and places to see with the peak district on your doorstep. I would highly recommend Sheffield university to anyone looking for a brilliant social scene and beautiful nature all packed into one, with world class academia and research.

Decent, but don't expect recognition!

A decent place to work. If you take on extra responsibilities, don't expect to get recognised for your hard work and dedication. In the end, for me, I had no choice but to seek different employment in order to advance my career. Sad really, as I would have liked to stay.

Fun place to work

Absolutely loved working for the uni, staff and students alike were a pleasure to work with and extremely helpful. Would deffo work here again if opportunity arose!

Volunteered and it was great

Relaxed, good community, nice vibe, worked here while I was at university. Enjoyed the role, decided to pass it on for someone new to take eon the opportunity

Pros

Flexible relaxed, great community

Had its moments

The organisation itself is reasonable but it depends on which areas you work in as to the level of hassle you will experience. Insufficient resources for certain project areas both in labour time and equipment to do the job correctly. More staff numbers were initially promised but these didn't materialise.Firefighting becomes the norm due to needing to move off from one task before completed then returning to it in a few weeks time and expected to have it ready at the drop of a hat.Good pension and holiday entitlement.

Pros

Clean, reasonable pay and good pension.

Cons

Stressful in certain groups.

Very good place to work

Very good place to work Potential for advancement across all departmentsOffer loads of training and staff development Excellent pension scheme and other benefitsCould offer flexitime to fit in with business needs

Pros

Pension, discount scheme with certain companies, genius card

Cons

Pay for on site parking expensive

productive and fun workplace

both interview and presentation was excellent. I loved working because it was what i was trained for: teaching and research so much so that i always take the work place as my other home.

Pros

travel expenses, research fund, lifelong colleagueship maturing to friendship, etc

Cons

taxing and demanding but exciting

Great Support

This role is honorary and continues the research conducted during my postgraduate degree. The university provides a great level of support and is always happy to let you develop your skills further.

Horrible

Treated awfully as a graduate teaching assistant, expected to spent entire weeks doing additional work for no extra pay. The salary is already bad compared to other universities. So competitive that you can’t trust anyone, and staff just throw each other under the bus to advance themselves. I refused to teach there anymore because the culture is so toxic

Pros

Cons

Terrible pay, dogmatic, stressful, no support

not applicable

The University of Sheffield was a fantastic place to train as a Dental Hygiene and Therapist due to its excellent workplace culture and course structure.

Laid back, minimal stress

Working at the University of Sheffield, offered a good work/life balance and good encouragement from managers/ supervisors. Required the ability to work independently.

Depends which dept you work for

Salary grading, work life balance and culture varies greatly between departments. Colleagues in other depts with less responsibility and on higher grades. Vacant posts never filled, work pushed onto existing staff - when you’re doing three jobs rolled into one for no more money, no recognition, no support from management. Toxic and stressful.

Disorganised, continuous change of mind

Disorganised, disfunctional, no sense of urgency, no management of the programme, all staff left to own devices with no consistency in documentation, plans, management styles.

Enlightening Experiences

A rich environment where initiative plays an important role, the returns are a broader mindset, work ethic development and communication skills. A typical day would include clearing doubts, teaching students in computer labs on programming. My previous experience being taken into account taught me how it feels from a teaching perspective instilling a sense of responsibility to guide students with appropriate level of knowledge. As a mentor in Summer School for a group of pre-university students was taxing; the hardest part was not the hours or the students but understanding how to adapt to the situation and be able to provide guidance, feedback and direction to the students. Overall a lot of independent initiative is required but the growth in terms of personal character development, communicating with a crowd of multi-nationals and time management were immense.

Competitive and toxic attitude.

Worked in 2 departments in the university, both were very competitive. The culture was very much more time in the office made you a more worthy member of staff and earned you praise. There wasn't always a lot of support and even amongst peers it did not feel like a nurturing work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Sheffield. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Sheffield with

University of Sheffield reviews by location

Learn about University of Sheffield in popular locations