University of Sheffield

University of Sheffield Employee Reviews for Graduate Assistant

A rich environment where initiative plays an important role, the returns are a broader mindset, work ethic development and communication skills. A typical day would include clearing doubts, teaching students in computer labs on programming. My previous experience being taken into account taught me how it feels from a teaching perspective instilling a sense of responsibility to guide students with appropriate level of knowledge. As a mentor in Summer School for a group of pre-university students was taxing; the hardest part was not the hours or the students but understanding how to adapt to the situation and be able to provide guidance, feedback and direction to the students. Overall a lot of independent initiative is required but the growth in terms of personal character development, communicating with a crowd of multi-nationals and time management were immense.
Treated awfully as a graduate teaching assistant, expected to spent entire weeks doing additional work for no extra pay. The salary is already bad compared to other universities. So competitive that you can’t trust anyone, and staff just throw each other under the bus to advance themselves. I refused to teach there anymore because the culture is so toxic
Pros
Cons
Terrible pay, dogmatic, stressful, no support
world known university, specialy for reseach. Aerospace and engineering. School environment, class room environment, teacher quality realy reportable.
I enjoyed very much interacting with undergraduate and masters student during the laboratory demonstrations. It was fun and always triggered intellectual interaction with students. I have gained huge deal of experience during this role, such communication, presentation, and demonstrating skills. It was also challenging as you get a range of student of different knowledge and therefore variety of challenging tasks.
Pros
fun, educational, challenging
Cons
nonr
The atmosphere is very nice and you find every one is willing to help and improve. The time management is very effective. I had a valuable experience dealing with students from different ethnic backgrounds.