University of Sheffield

University of Sheffield Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Working at the University of Sheffield offered me a chance to be a part of one of the UK's top research institutions, in a workplace that wwas both fun, engaging and wholly recommendable.
Fixed term contract work and fixed pay scales make for a very restrictive environment. An inability to reward talent and skills leads to these being lost to business where it can be appropriately recognised.
Pros
Relaxed 'Uni' workstyle, work on novel areas
Cons
FTC and fixed pay scales
A perfect freelance job whilst I was completing my MA, very generous pay and very relaxed expectations of timeframes for work to be completed so that it would not interfere with studies.
Pros
very flexible
Cons
freelance - so not a steady stream of work/hours
Worked closely with process engineers and research scientists to gain operating experience and gathered preliminary results from the first period of testing
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low salary
I was a research assistant working on secretion of lipoproteins from mammalian hepatocytes.I learned many techniques in the lab. This was very intersting research.
Worked in Sheffield university for more than 10 years, and I loved it and enjoyed it.learned everything to do my current job.