University of Southampton

University of Southampton Employee Reviews

I was good however fat pasted hard at first but gets easier. Meet loads of good people. Bosses are nice good environment clean. Surounded buy lovely ponds
Pros: reasonable amount of training,Decent hourly wage, Colleagues are friendly and helpful, Working hours good for familliesCons: University totally disorganised - you are told one thing but then realise other colleagues have been given totally different information and management change their minds constantly.If you ask a question don't expect management to know - they will just say they don't know and not bother to respond further.No job security. Health and safety rules ignored by many staff Hr are an absolute joke, no common sense used whatsoever and I have never come accross a less helpful hr team.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Disorganised
Band snobbery, lack of support and training, unprofessional managers, boring work. Managers that 'out' your personal information and make you feel like you're a problem. Being treated like you're not important, capable or trustworthy because you're 'only a band #'. Being told there could be redundancies at any time - great for morale!
Pros
Good money for not having much to do. Some people are kind.
Cons
All of the above
Good hours and holiday etc. but management were totally aloof, imposed additional work with no consultation. Corners were regularly cut on safety issues and any objections were ridiculed.
As a research assistant I got to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. I got to learn from them and enhance skills of my own, specifically organisation and time management skills. I was tasked with the responsibility of overseeing a university project. My main job was to organised the collecting and processing data for a collaborative academic write-up. Overall, I enjoyed working with the team, and learning new skills.
Excellent laboratory facilities are available on-site . Helpful and friendly environment. Opportunities to network and progress. Good university support for students.
A typical day would be answering emails and calls from students regarding accommodation. Liaising with the customer service team at the main campus. I learnt a great deal about juggling a high workload and providing excellent customer service. Other employees were gambling and running their own businesses on the Universities time. Management were often negative and stuck in their ways. The culture is to employ friends or family members or past students. It can be a very clique environment.
It was a great place to mix around with local and international students while working. My job was to assist the university’s marketing team in promoting the culture and learning experiences at the University of Southampton to the students and parents. My supervisor was superb and helpful. The most enjoyable part was sharing my student's life and experiences staying in halls with the parents and students.
Typical day - meetings with suppliers and internal customers regarding procurement Culture is changing from relaxed enjoyable place to work with emphasis on students and education to more commercial.
the residence team is a very rewarding place to work and every day is very different the only down side is the fact that the pay is very low and there is no room for progression
Pros
good work mates
Cons
low pay
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Southampton?
Astonishing that such a place is rife with bullying, harassment and victimisation. Seriously thuggish managers who think they can behave with impunity- and do! Be very wary of working or studying here.
Working there was great and I learnt a lot, my colleagues where all very friendly and awesome people. My supervisors were great and I really enjoyed the time that I spent there
The job in the early day was great working with so many grounds manual workers in the first 20 years then when moved to other grounds the staffing reduced to 5 grounds man and one of them was a grounds advisor If I continued to work for the university of would have served them well for 49 years and 5 moths
I received a lots of help from my line manager and other staff, they are very professional and helpful. I had a lovely summer, made some really good friends too. The working environment is good.
worked as part-time campus ambassador here in the summer time. I Worked with the recruitment outreach team to facilitate the workshop. Gave campus tours for visiting/prospective students. I Greeted visitors and handle their enquires, direct them to the appropriate people according to their requirements
I enjoyed every minute I spent working here. I'm only sorry it was a fixed term contract. Everyone was very helpful and supportive. The work was demanding but interesting.
Conducted number of complex experiments, collecting data and analysing it to evaluate the research premise. Successfully gathering and presenting an oral presentation with key findings of the research project to senior academic members, clearly providing comprehensive implantation strategies and potential improvements.
I had an amazing time meeting the staff and working with other people, it was a fun time, I learned a lot from the job, I would love to continue working for them.
Builds confidence and enables one to develop in their career from early years + Can become a busy environment and one must be able to cope under pressure.
Lively and friendly work environment. Typical day includes running errands and organizing work with students and lecturers Workplace culture is diverse and open
When I have seen by Time's fell hand defaced The rich proud cost of outworn buried age; When sometime lofty towers I see down-razed, And brass eternal slave to mortal rage; When I have seen the hungry ocean gain Advantage on the kingdom of the shore, And the firm soil win of the watery main, Increasing store with loss, and loss with store; When I have seen such interchange of state, Or state itself confounded to decay; Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate That Time will come and take my love away. This thought is as a death which cannot choose But weep to have that which it fears to lose.