University of Southampton
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

University of Southampton Employee Reviews in Southampton

Southampton109 reviews

Respect and appreciation

All coordinators, University Staff, HR personnel are so encouraging and act as role models to people like me, a foreigner without the plethora of their qualifications that initiate a strong motive to improve and contribute to the success of the programme.

Good

The university has great benefits such as a pension scheme, great pay, and parking. Only downsides are the fixed term contracts that lead you to reapplying for your own job, and not much chance to advance. Also leaving you unable to keep the job if you need to reduce your hours as they fear they may lose the ability to rehire full time members.

Pros

Amazing staff culture and great pay

Cons

- Not a lot of opportunity to advance (may need to reapply for your own job, and be transferred to the same grade or lower), not many opportunities for part time work for fear of losing out potential full time staff

Insights into University of Southampton

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job

Corrosive and Demoralising Workplace

I have never worked for a more poorly run and discouraging company. There is no way to progress unless you are an academic, you need to apply for a completely different job, and as you not encouraged to expand your skills beyond your station you are unlikely to succeed in those attempts. I have been bullied, and gaslit while working here, and my mental health and wellbeing could not have been much worse. To summarise I DO NOT recommend this company to work for, not even on my worst enemy

Lab Technician

Worked as lab technician for a immunotherapy/ cancer research group. Good potential to do well, however progress is slow and there is a lot of repetition with tasks.

Not much chance of progressing past supervisor level, but salary is the best in the industry.

Very safe job good salary but not much chance of promotion. The job is very easy, but for some reason this culture causes excessive back biting within the teams. The supervisors are guilty of turning a blind eye to a lot of this. I would suggest keep your head low and do the job.

Pros

Salary, shift pattern

Cons

Long shifts, no promotions.

Great

It was a great opportunity to teach EAP online. I could teach and also learn a lot. I love working in the Education sector. I was pleased to learn that online teaching can be so effective.

Pros

Excellent teaching materials

Cons

Long hours - teaching is always demanding

Great place to work Great benefits Great pension Great holiday and flexibility Great pay Great staff and manager very layed back approach how every place of work should be

Do not work here

An absolute shambles of a company to work for. The don't treat employees equally, the lower grade you are, the less you matter, no matter how hard you have worked. Management doesn't update their staff and doesn't ask for opinions, because they just simply don't care. A very backwards company and I'm glad I got out! Worst company I have worked for. If you want to be treated properly and want your hard work appreciated, don't come to work here!!

Pros

Company benefits e.g. holidays and sick pay

Cons

Management style, unequal treatment of staff

Completely disorganised

Pros: reasonable amount of training,Decent hourly wage, Colleagues are friendly and helpful, Working hours good for familliesCons: University totally disorganised - you are told one thing but then realise other colleagues have been given totally different information and management change their minds constantly.If you ask a question don't expect management to know - they will just say they don't know and not bother to respond further.No job security. Health and safety rules ignored by many staff Hr are an absolute joke, no common sense used whatsoever and I have never come accross a less helpful hr team.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Disorganised

Wouldn't go back

Band snobbery, lack of support and training, unprofessional managers, boring work. Managers that 'out' your personal information and make you feel like you're a problem. Being treated like you're not important, capable or trustworthy because you're 'only a band #'. Being told there could be redundancies at any time - great for morale!

Pros

Good money for not having much to do. Some people are kind.

Cons

All of the above

Productive and engaging place to work

As a research assistant I got to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. I got to learn from them and enhance skills of my own, specifically organisation and time management skills. I was tasked with the responsibility of overseeing a university project. My main job was to organised the collecting and processing data for a collaborative academic write-up. Overall, I enjoyed working with the team, and learning new skills.

Maternity Discrimation

A typical day would be answering emails and calls from students regarding accommodation. Liaising with the customer service team at the main campus. I learnt a great deal about juggling a high workload and providing excellent customer service. Other employees were gambling and running their own businesses on the Universities time. Management were often negative and stuck in their ways. The culture is to employ friends or family members or past students. It can be a very clique environment.

Productive and fun workplace

It was a great place to mix around with local and international students while working. My job was to assist the university’s marketing team in promoting the culture and learning experiences at the University of Southampton to the students and parents. My supervisor was superb and helpful. The most enjoyable part was sharing my student's life and experiences staying in halls with the parents and students.

fun place to work

the residence team is a very rewarding place to work and every day is very different the only down side is the fact that the pay is very low and there is no room for progression

Pros

good work mates

Cons

low pay

it was a fast moving place to work at

The job in the early day was great working with so many grounds manual workers in the first 20 years then when moved to other grounds the staffing reduced to 5 grounds man and one of them was a grounds advisor If I continued to work for the university of would have served them well for 49 years and 5 moths

GOOD Organisation

I received a lots of help from my line manager and other staff, they are very professional and helpful. I had a lovely summer, made some really good friends too. The working environment is good.

I loved working hete

I enjoyed every minute I spent working here. I'm only sorry it was a fixed term contract. Everyone was very helpful and supportive. The work was demanding but interesting.

Productive and fun work place

Conducted number of complex experiments, collecting data and analysing it to evaluate the research premise. Successfully gathering and presenting an oral presentation with key findings of the research project to senior academic members, clearly providing comprehensive implantation strategies and potential improvements.

It was great

I had an amazing time meeting the staff and working with other people, it was a fun time, I learned a lot from the job, I would love to continue working for them.

Work place culture

Builds confidence and enables one to develop in their career from early years + Can become a busy environment and one must be able to cope under pressure.

Productive and fun

Lively and friendly work environment. Typical day includes running errands and organizing work with students and lecturers Workplace culture is diverse and open

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southampton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Southampton with

University of Southampton reviews by location

Learn about University of Southampton in Southampton