University of Southampton

University of Southampton Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Research Assistant2 reviews
United Kingdom2 reviews

universitystudentroleprojectexcellentskillstaffhelpful

Productive and engaging place to work

As a research assistant I got to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. I got to learn from them and enhance skills of my own, specifically organisation and time management skills. I was tasked with the responsibility of overseeing a university project. My main job was to organised the collecting and processing data for a collaborative academic write-up. Overall, I enjoyed working with the team, and learning new skills.

Exciting and challenging place to work

During my time as a research assistant at the University, no 2 days were the same. There would be the standard tasks of replying to emails and telephone calls etc but the core daily activities would vary between, desk research, field research (surveys etc), researching for papers, seeing students, writing journal articles and project reports in addition to attending meetings and conferences. I learnt an awful lot about the subject area through the research but also through attending some interesting conferences. For the majority of the projects that I worked on I was the principal researcher so, as a result I learnt how to work effectively in order to meet strict deadlines. This frequently meant I had to work a lot at home and well into the early hours. Unfortunately with a young family this became quite challenging at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about such a fascinating industry, and the sense of satisfaction on completing a project, report or a journal article.

Pros

interesting work that i could really get my teeth into

Cons

sometimes long hours working at home

Insights into University of Southampton

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southampton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Southampton with

University of Southampton reviews by location

Learn about University of Southampton in popular locations