University of Southampton

Student Ambassador11 reviews
United Kingdom11 reviews

universitystudentroleprojectexcellentskillstaffhelpful

Productive and fun workplace

It was a great place to mix around with local and international students while working. My job was to assist the university’s marketing team in promoting the culture and learning experiences at the University of Southampton to the students and parents. My supervisor was superb and helpful. The most enjoyable part was sharing my student's life and experiences staying in halls with the parents and students.

Fantastic role for students

Being able to work at the University that you are studying in can never be a bad idea and this point was emphasised during my time as a student ambassador. The job is very flexible so you can manage it around your studies,

Insights into University of Southampton

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job

Fun

Was a good place to work, paid well, had good hours. provided help when it was needed. also gave independence to go and get on with work, all around good experience.

Flexible

As a student worked hours are flexible and well paid. open days are on weekdays and weekends, you can choose which you do and which times, e.g. morning, afternoon or all day

Pros

free lunch!

Cons

If you don't work for 6 months you have to reregister all forms and ID

Student Ambassador

Actively seek and communicate with visitors to answer any questions they may have about the university. Give a brief talk after leading lectures to address any queries.

Pros

Free Lunches

Relaxed and fun workplace

Meet lots of parents and potential students. Asked to talk about university life and the geophysics degree program, using my own personnal experiences. All members of senior staff are friendly and easy to talk too.

Pros

Relaxed Atmosphere

Cons

Limited Work Available

Very good experience

The time spent at University of Southampton as a student ambassador was a very productive and knowledge gaining period, as I got to expand my social skills considerably and become very good at it.

Pros

Free lunch and breakfast

Great opportunity

It was a great opportunity to engage with prospective students, assisting them in any way possible on one of the most difficult decisions they would make in their life, deciding which university to go to. I would typically guide a group of students and show them the campus facilities and accommodation. At lunch, I would talk with the prospective students and their families about my experience at the University of Southampton. The most rewarding part of this job was when a student approached me one evening and said that I was one of the main reasons he chose to attend the university because I was so honest about my experience.

Pros

Free lunches, good pay

Fun workplace

- Will be responsible for mentoring young adults during a taster course. - Guide prospective applicants and their families on subject specific tours.

Fun workplace

As I work in Open Day which lasts for two days. Each day, I worked from 8am to 4pm. During two days, I am responsible for guiding tours from the university to halls of residence to introduce the life in halls to new students and their parents (who want to know about the University of Southampton). I have learnt a lot during two days at work. I can practice my presentation skills in front of parents and students and my communication skills. My co-workers are students as well, so they are young and very friendly. The hardest part of the job might be that I did not have experience to guide a tour before, so I was a little nervous at the begining of the tour. After the second and third tour, I can manage it and can finish it with satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I can meet many people and talk to them. It reminds me the time that I prepared for my undergraduate program.

Pros

free lunch, chance of making friends with new people

Productive and enjoyable workplace

I am a very friendly person. My previous typical day at work is that I communicate with many people, welcome people, answer their queries, give them pieces of advice. I often have to work in a team. It's good because I know obviously the role of each member in a team. Teamwork is enjoyable and productive because people share their experience and assist one another in neccessary cases.

Pros

Free meals

Cons

Finish work late at night

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southampton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Southampton with

University of Southampton reviews by location

• University of Southampton
  • Student Ambassador
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?