University of Southampton

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

universitystudentroleprojectexcellentskillstaffhelpful

Good

The university has great benefits such as a pension scheme, great pay, and parking. Only downsides are the fixed term contracts that lead you to reapplying for your own job, and not much chance to advance. Also leaving you unable to keep the job if you need to reduce your hours as they fear they may lose the ability to rehire full time members.

Pros

Amazing staff culture and great pay

Cons

- Not a lot of opportunity to advance (may need to reapply for your own job, and be transferred to the same grade or lower), not many opportunities for part time work for fear of losing out potential full time staff

Depends on your manager

I worked in various dept and roles at Soton Uni for many years. Some teams I worked for were dreadful and some were very supportive and pleasant to work with. It was all down to the direct line managers and their managers and the micro culture within the team. Overall, job load was not too stressful and there were plenty of job opportunities for you to move around within the uni. You won't get the same salary as an industry job and may not end up with big fancy titles, but the culture and work pace are more relaxing there.

Insights into University of Southampton

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job

Band snobbery

Elitist views, not confidential, poor job prospects, unhappy staff, little guidance on how to do the job, different rules for different staff, not enough work

Pros

Salary

Cons

Everything else

Not much chance of progressing past supervisor level, but salary is the best in the industry.

Very safe job good salary but not much chance of promotion. The job is very easy, but for some reason this culture causes excessive back biting within the teams. The supervisors are guilty of turning a blind eye to a lot of this. I would suggest keep your head low and do the job.

Pros

Salary, shift pattern

Cons

Long shifts, no promotions.

Great place to work Great benefits Great pension Great holiday and flexibility Great pay Great staff and manager very layed back approach how every place of work should be

Do not work here

An absolute shambles of a company to work for. The don't treat employees equally, the lower grade you are, the less you matter, no matter how hard you have worked. Management doesn't update their staff and doesn't ask for opinions, because they just simply don't care. A very backwards company and I'm glad I got out! Worst company I have worked for. If you want to be treated properly and want your hard work appreciated, don't come to work here!!

Pros

Company benefits e.g. holidays and sick pay

Cons

Management style, unequal treatment of staff

fun place to work

the residence team is a very rewarding place to work and every day is very different the only down side is the fact that the pay is very low and there is no room for progression

Pros

good work mates

Cons

low pay

Fun

Was a good place to work, paid well, had good hours. provided help when it was needed. also gave independence to go and get on with work, all around good experience.

Amazing place to work at, bright people and plenty of room to grow

The whole environment is thriving with brilliant people willing to help you do your job and even grow both personally and career-wise. A lot of benefits and a gorgeous campus, really recommend!

Pros

Benefits, Bonus, Ceo, People

Its s relaxed place

I t will a fun place and relaxing place to work in and it will also be friendly csuse I get to meet new people. I will be happy in this environment and be a hard- worker

Pros

Free food

University of Southampton

I work part time sometimes it is not busy enough so I would like a busy position, good colleagues. Part time hours locally in Hedge End if possible but am prepared to travel a short distance. Something within customer service is preferred or administration if possible.

Good

Excellent place to work, good benefits with additional holiday at Christmas and Easter. Very good training opportunities if you wish to choose to do them.

Amazing Workplace

Flexible time. Good management and knowledge transfer. Good availability of services of any kind including sports and shops. Good HR and finance services

fun working place

I used to start at 9 and finish at 6 which is one of the best shifts i have ever had. I really enjoyed working there , just the payment was not enough.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

really busy on lunch time

Flexible

As a student worked hours are flexible and well paid. open days are on weekdays and weekends, you can choose which you do and which times, e.g. morning, afternoon or all day

Pros

free lunch!

Cons

If you don't work for 6 months you have to reregister all forms and ID

Fun work environment

Student Ambassadors are given free lunch, and compensation for any travel costs they may incur. The staff are all students, and friendly and welcoming. Management are friendly and helpful with any problems people may have.

Very decent

A good work environment with very nice people to work with. There is a lot to do but the pay definitely makes up for it. What ever job you are handling its a decent occupation and definitely helps out with any financial goals.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Hours of being seated

Very good experience

The time spent at University of Southampton as a student ambassador was a very productive and knowledge gaining period, as I got to expand my social skills considerably and become very good at it.

Pros

Free lunch and breakfast

Fine

Overall fine. I work at a UoS in a sub-department and everything functions very well. The holidays are very nice and generous, which is a real bonus. However, the parking situation is bad.

workplace

Good place to work a good mix of people and various interesting projects being undertaken. Location was very nice, the shift work was long but the benefits were good

Cons

Secure Job, Average management.

Overall a good safe company to work for. You work on your own or as a team. Left to your own devises. Clean safe environment to work in. For me the pay was terrible and but the jobs was reliable.

Pros

Fantastic Pension

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southampton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Southampton with

University of Southampton reviews by location

Learn about University of Southampton in popular locations