University of Southampton

University of Southampton Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

Great

It was a great opportunity to teach EAP online. I could teach and also learn a lot. I love working in the Education sector. I was pleased to learn that online teaching can be so effective.

Pros

Excellent teaching materials

Cons

Long hours - teaching is always demanding

Wouldn't go back

Band snobbery, lack of support and training, unprofessional managers, boring work. Managers that 'out' your personal information and make you feel like you're a problem. Being treated like you're not important, capable or trustworthy because you're 'only a band #'. Being told there could be redundancies at any time - great for morale!

Pros

Good money for not having much to do. Some people are kind.

Cons

All of the above

fun place to work

the residence team is a very rewarding place to work and every day is very different the only down side is the fact that the pay is very low and there is no room for progression

Pros

good work mates

Cons

low pay

Productive and fun

Lively and friendly work environment. Typical day includes running errands and organizing work with students and lecturers Workplace culture is diverse and open

A very good place to work, flexible and friendly

A very good place to work, flexible and supportive with good scope for progression. I really enjoyed working here on a contract and everyone I worked with was very nice.

Pros

Flexible working

Amazing place to work at, bright people and plenty of room to grow

The whole environment is thriving with brilliant people willing to help you do your job and even grow both personally and career-wise. A lot of benefits and a gorgeous campus, really recommend!

Pros

Benefits, Bonus, Ceo, People

Its s relaxed place

I t will a fun place and relaxing place to work in and it will also be friendly csuse I get to meet new people. I will be happy in this environment and be a hard- worker

Pros

Free food

Cons

Good work life balance and benefits but poor management

So much dead weight within the University, it's a joke. Change is slow to the point of tedium and meets fierce resistance. Not interested in attracting new talent in certain areas, instead preferring to promote their own. This is good in some way, but in others it means that there are never any fresh ideas. Everything is just done the way it was always done.

Good

Excellent place to work, good benefits with additional holiday at Christmas and Easter. Very good training opportunities if you wish to choose to do them.

Perfect place to earn a PhD

The support available to PhD students across the University can vary quite dramatically, however in the Faculty of Engineering and the Environment the staff are extremely passionate about their research and their research students. They go above and beyond to help with any and all matters. The facilities are state of the art, with some very unique test machines that allow for research opportunities not possible at other universities. The work/life balance is perfect, with an expectation of time self-management from supervisors. This allows you to schedule your research to best suit you, and also develops your own management skills so that you are able to meet all deadlines and work within the department to share equipment and facilities. There are plenty of opportunities to extend beyond your research, and you are encouraged to interact with the wider university in a social and professional setting.

Pros

Excellent support from line managers, wonderful opportunities beyond your research

Cons

Not unique to Southampton, but underfunding of PhDs in the UK as a whole is an issue

Flexible working

Overall a great organisation to work for. They look after their employees with regards to Health and Safety, career advancement and use of flexi time.

Pros

Flexible working

fun working place

I used to start at 9 and finish at 6 which is one of the best shifts i have ever had. I really enjoyed working there , just the payment was not enough.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

really busy on lunch time

Flexible

As a student worked hours are flexible and well paid. open days are on weekdays and weekends, you can choose which you do and which times, e.g. morning, afternoon or all day

Pros

free lunch!

Cons

If you don't work for 6 months you have to reregister all forms and ID

Interesting work

I enjoyed the work and working with my assistant. I learned their software and the way Nursing and Midwifery degree work. This school worked with the NHS and was very political and their policy was "when you are a manager, you are expected to be in meetings all day and work all night" which is not a good culture. As their degree ran differently from the rest of the university, we had to lie and cheat to get the best lecture theatres first which caused bad feeling amongst other faculty Timetablers. The part I enjoyed most was creating the timetables and solving problems with clashes.

Pros

Using my problem solving skills

Cons

Long hours and culture

workplace

Good place to work a good mix of people and various interesting projects being undertaken. Location was very nice, the shift work was long but the benefits were good

Cons

Productive and fun wok place

Great place to work, very productive , always opportunities to learn new things. The company cares about its employees and customers and goes above and beyond to create a positive work environment.

good place to work

good place and lots of friendly people to work with. can be a very challenging environment to work in but it has some great rewards

Pros

nice people to work withh

Cons

Great work environment and good career prospects

I really enjoyed my time working at the University of Southampton. Everyone is really friendly, the campus is huge and very green. Also, there are quite a lot of possibilities for career advancement, as new openings are advertised both internally and externally.

Project Support officer - Part time job via University Tempbank

Lovely place to work, very nice people. As I am a part-time temp I have had to score work/life balance as good and job security as low, but that is based on those facts only, and no reflection on the organisation.

Pros

flexible with hours

Cons

only a temp job!

pro.

In my current role I work with different forms of machinery: Band saw, Pole Drill, Drills, Dremel and a variety of hand tools. I assist students to decide which tool is suitable for different types of material. When a student does not know how to use a particular tool, I teach them how to use the tool safely. In my current job, there are a 3D printer and a laser cutter. I have trained students in the use of these machines by demonstrating to them and then watching while they practise. I am available for any additional advice. I have also trained a couple of Civil Engineering staff in both of these machines.

Fun workplace

As I work in Open Day which lasts for two days. Each day, I worked from 8am to 4pm. During two days, I am responsible for guiding tours from the university to halls of residence to introduce the life in halls to new students and their parents (who want to know about the University of Southampton). I have learnt a lot during two days at work. I can practice my presentation skills in front of parents and students and my communication skills. My co-workers are students as well, so they are young and very friendly. The hardest part of the job might be that I did not have experience to guide a tour before, so I was a little nervous at the begining of the tour. After the second and third tour, I can manage it and can finish it with satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I can meet many people and talk to them. It reminds me the time that I prepared for my undergraduate program.

Pros

free lunch, chance of making friends with new people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Southampton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2