University of St Andrews

University of St Andrews Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom20 reviews

greatstaffgoodmanagementworkinguniversityenjoysupervisor

Depends on the PI

Phd in chemistry. Poor pay but can commute from cheaper towns than st andrews. Good research in the department, culture is supervisor dependent so ask them about it in advance

Pros

Phd Necessary for career development

Cons

Can lose perspective on work/life balance because of casualised atmosphere

Amazing

One of the best places you could work. Great team. Great management. The business truly cares about the employees. Good work life balance. Top 5 companies to work for ever.

Insights into University of St Andrews

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager

Supportive Workplace

Was a good experience working here through the pandemic 2nd lockdown and would recommend applying. Would thoroughly enjoy working for the ACE team again.

Pros

Home working

Cons

Work required over festive period.

Great research, great researchers

I really enjoyed doing my PhD and following short research project at St Andrew's. I found the facilities advanced, the technicians highly experienced and friendly, and the general atmosphere of working there fantastic, due to the great diversity of projects and people being very condusive to interesting collaborations. My supervisors were also extremely helpful and easy to work with.

A lot of good experience

Good company ,the best for customer service and satisfaction for our greatest customers.Feel free to ask any more question, and i will answer all of them.

Supportive and Accommodating

I am developing research on ASD using the National Safehaven Databases. I income generate to fund my work at St Andrews, partly by work with NGOs, partly by Casework with EquilibriaHealth and partly through my writing.

Decent place, not really representative

I was a cleaner for summer work. I feel like you're more wanting to hear from academic employees... it was a decent time, good hours and understanding staff.

University of St Andrews, Art History Department (VRC

Part-time work at the VRC involves sourcing material appropriate for the data-base for the Art History Department. I select film slides and scan them into photoshop; editing, retouching any blemished or scratches. These slides will be used as visual aids for powerpoints for professors as the University. I also assist with the PhD research in sourcing similar film slides and photographs.

Good job but chaotic administration

I really enjoyed doing research there, but getting my pay sorted out was a nightmare. Coordinating meetings with one of the people I worked for was always hard.

Fantastic place to work

I really enjoyed working at the university. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was hard work but very satisfying. The supervisors and management were very supportive. I would love to work there again .

Good job for students

It is a zero hour contract which is good for students who need a job whislt at university. THe management are usualkly understanding of deadlines/other commitments. The rota is sent out weekly, and you can agree to or decline any shifts you are allocated, plus there is the option to take more shifts. It can be very busy, especailly during the summer holidays, but equally there can sometimes be weeks without shfits. It depends on the season and how popular the uni events department is. A typical shift is working a dinner where you serce courses and wine, plus do the dishes and clean the room. There sometimes are after parties where people are needed to work on the bar and clean glasses. Other events include conferences and graduation, where there is a buffet for customers to help themselves. At these events, the job is to clean up any and all mess made, do the dishes, and ensure customer satisfaction. The mangers are decent people, organised, and professional. There isnt really anything diffuclt about the job except the typical shift hours for dinners/weddings/bars is late at night to early morning, meaning it can be tiring. Also sonetimes the guests can be rude, but that happens in every customer-facing jobs. Everyone who works there is helpful and kind, it is a friendly environment. If there is food left over (and usually there is) the staff is welcome to have some of it on their break.

Challenging and great work experience, learnt about academic administration, software I wouldn't have used otherwise, more about environmental geography from my supervisor

Okay workplace, good coworkers

I worked in housekeeping over the summer. Fellow housewarming staff were great to work with, management was mixed, often understaffing on busiest days.

Flexible hours, good pay

This is a perfect job for students as the hours are very flexible and it's very easy to pick up extra shifts if you need more hours. The pay is higher than average for this type of job and they don't expect you to have experience. However, the training is virtually non-existent and there's a lot of friction between many permanent members of staff which often makes the work environment unpleasant for the zero hour student workers.

Pros

Good pay, occasional free food, flexible hours

Cons

Difficult work environment

Fast-pace, productive environment. All employees are treated with respect and are expected highly of their contribution.

I thoroughly enjoy working with the institution and as a student feel this role gives the best experience available within the University for working with the public.

Invigorating Learning Environment

Great culture of learning, as you would expect from a University that is conducting research. Great work life balance there if you want it, although to be truly competitive I feel you need to put in a lot of hours.

Reasonable place to work

Typical day consist for dealing with Technical staff and students. I learned everything I know in the time spent a the University and developed new skills. Management could improve. Overall enjoyable place to work.

Pros

Hour lunches and holiday/sick pay

Management leaves you adrift

First, the surprise construction work that went on for four months. This was not communicated to anyone working in the building, and the first we heard of it was the jackhammering. My attempts to get information on when the work would be done, and complain about the noise level, were met with 'you know what builders are like'. I had to contact HR, after three weeks the head of department got involved and it was only because he visited on a day that works were being done that he allowed us to move offices for a three month period. This was after the builders put the lights out in our office by cutting live electrical wiring. Second, my immediate supervisor would travel for work for extended periods without notifying... anyone, not even his PA. Visiting scholars were a regular feature, which was great, but we were usually not told that they would be coming until they were standing in the office. My supervisor would then appear and tell whoever he expected to look after them that they would be looking after the visitor. On at least three occasions, projects that I had developed and was working on were given to other researchers without my supervisor telling me until either the other researchers were present, or I heard it second hand from the other researchers, or I was told that I can't publish this work because it will be going into someone else's paper. I had to stop listing my PI as corresponding author because he couldn't be relied on to forward on any corrections. The support staff are and we're fabulous! The electricity was unreliable during thunderstorms, and would -

Pros

The professional development program was magnificent

Cons

Surprise construction work

Productive and fun workplace

- great and friendly environment - high salary - co-workers are some of the best people I've met - great and rewarding job

Great place to work in

A very lovely environment with lovely colleagues. I look after their library management systems and find the interactions with colleagues across the Scotland very stimulating.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of St Andrews. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement