University of Sussex

University of Sussex Employee Reviews

Student ambassador is a good casual / flexible job for a student with good pay per hour. Interesting and not too stressful, and nice to work with other students.
Nice place but the manager are really bad dont take care about nothing just looking for they and sometimes dont start at the time so if i be honest is a really good place but need change the team
Pros
Cons
A lot of things
The teams I've worked in have been friendly, positive, supportive and fun. The work is challenging and rewarding. The management is friendly and open. There is a good work culture, wellbeing is important and people are motivated. There are sometimes conflicts between time spent on own projects and supporting academic staff with their projects but colleagues are respectful. The campus is beautiful and facilities great. Going on walks in Stanmer Park at lunchtime is amazing.
The team were really welcoming and engaging and involved me in all the meetings etc that took place during my time with them, which was short. I learnt about how they conducted meetings, the management structure and the type of work that they do in this team.
The role is a great cultural experience to be a part of. You work with other language ambassador meaning that you have to be able to work in a team, good at communication and friendly. You organise activities with the team and welcome other students to the language and cultural salted activities we organise. It is good fun and voluntary.
There is very well organised and relaxed environment at ISC Sussex University, strong academic community with high standards. The students commitment is high the resource are to the best standards.
Volunteered with the Students Union. They are very supportive of societies and want to help us improve ourselves. They are easy to talk to and access via email or walking into their office. They never made me feel as though I was being a pest.
Good hours, and good working culture Good management Deep cleaning can get a bit gross Typically, weeks follow a similar pattern of cleaning rooms on Monday and Tuesday, public areas Wednesday to Thursday and Fridays would be refreshing rooms
A great place to work, exciting and inspiring. Diverse students body, which is wonderful. Neoliberalisation of education is not distributing the benefits to society equally.
Would recommend to other sussex students. Easy to get a job and they are respectful of your hours and commitments. Nice to work with fellow students. Paid well.
Very fun as a student working with members of staff across the university. They respected my opinion and gave me space to talk. I learned how communicate effectively with a range of people.
Nice place to live and good place to go to university. friendly teachers mostly and always happy to help. Acadameic advisor unhelpful when wwas suffering with mental illness.
I enjoyed my time as a student mentor which allowed me to fit work around studies. The only issue was that I would have preferred to have been able to work more hours.
restocking shelves, serving customers at the till taking inventory cooperation and how to be part of a team team work angry customers interactions
I enjoy working for the university of Sussex because I am confident in what I represent and I am treated with respect. I learn to lead with confidence and authority.
Interesting work with the opportunity to develop. Both colleagues and management are supportive and the university campus is a lovely environment to work in.
The university was an enjoyable place to work with friendly staff and good pay, the workload was well balanced and helped me further develop communication skills that should serve me well down the line.
Good job with very flexible hours. Working as a student ambassador doesn't just entail working on open days or applicant visit days as you can also be called to do things like proof-reading work or flyering. If you have a passion for the university and enjoy interacting with others this job would be suitable for you.
Pros
Free Lunches, Highly Flexible Hours, Diverse Job.
Cons
Not necessarily guaranteed regular work.
Opportunity to gain extra experience, friendly work environment, opportunity to work with different people and able to take part in extra training opportunities to develop skills
My PhD time was devoted to carrying out research on cell migration which included formulating mathematical models and numerical methods to solve the models. This culminated to a PhD thesis which I successfully defended on 18th March 2019.
A fun and highly paid role that helped develop skills in event and workshop management. The only bad thing was that the work was infrequent so it wasn't possible to survive alone on this work.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Infrequent hours