University of Westminster

University of Westminster Employee Reviews

Fantastic colleagues, gorgeous spaces and lots of opportunities to connect with students and participate widely, that’s if your line manager approves it!Before lockdown working from home was reserved for senior colleagues, and it was very much management by presenteeism.Career development and learning opportunities limited. There used to be many amazing initiatives from the learning and organisational development teams but they got decimated in restructures, so much so that I don’t believe there is anyone left?It’s a very friendly place with many exciting projects.
Pros
Annual leave, technology and place
Cons
HR a bit draconian, no career development
Working as an associate lecturer at the university of Westminster was a good basis for teaching housing studies. The manager was very supportive and assisted with introducing me to new students on a variety of courses including MA Housing Studies and the CIH Professional Qualification. The University was well equipped with IT and rooms, which were well appointed and good to teach in.
Pros
Able to set own lesson plans
Cons
A bit of a commute
Great work culture. Opportunities to work with colleagues in different departments and they make an effort to bring everyone together when possible. I think it's a great working environment, however there isn't much opportunity for staff development. Because of this, people find themselves in a tricky position where they are having to look for other opportunities. For example, if you wanted to go and study a masters the support just isn't offered. I think this is a shame firstly because it is higher education, and secondly because Westminster prides itself in flexible working. Aside from this, Westminster is a lovely place to work. The management are lovely and the culture is vibrant.
Pros
35 day annual leave
Cons
Not many opportunities for staff development
I think I'm very patient. During the school's open day, I help people who come to visit the school, help them introduce our school, equipment and majors, etc., the learning environment, so I think I can do the job well.
Management and job culture was not good. Its gone through re-structure so might be different now. I will recommend colleague to work here and I wouldn't mind working there again.
I learned how to communicate with people from different backgrounds considering age differences. learned how to approach students and staff as well as parents of students during events and survey promotions. this job taught me to be patient and accomplish a great time management and organisation skills.
Fantastic place to work at. Very competent and committed professioanals. Excellent guidance and mentoring. Lovely team! Absolutely friendly and understanding.
An inspiring environment which allows developing your skills and keeps you highly motivated. Working culture is based on equal opportunities and mutual respect.
I’ve been with UoW for almost a year, I have to say it’s the best workplace in my whole career. Staff overall are really supportive and there’s a real sense of teamwork throughout the organisation and there are opportunities for growth. I’d highly recommend.
Pros
Lots of Benefits
Cons
Working at different locations
I feel supported by module leaders in terms of the content I teach, and feel well equipped to deliver knowledge to students. The department is very well connected and friendly, which keeps morale high. I really enjoy teaching the students.
Pros
Chance to teach my area of research
Cons
Hidden hours with teaching
I enjoyed the working spirit and environment which was friendly and professional. I had a lot of work to do which I really enjoyed as well because it helped me to increase my IT skills and my receptionist skills. The hardest part of the Job as a receptionist was to compile a lot of information and to make reports. What I enjoyed the most was free coffee haha
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Microwave in the office
I liaise daily with students, academic staff, tenants, contractors and members of the general public. I enjoy being part of a workplace that has so many different job cascading to keep the place working in synergy. Each role is important, from professional to academic. I have several opportunities to learn new skills such as, IT training, health and safety courses, language courses and more. I have access to all the latest academic journals to keep up to date on subjects of my interest. I have updated all my current qualifications pertaining to my job since being here. The workplace culture here is that of strong leadership. There are societies for almost everything, mentoring programs and everyone is kept up to date with what they must do to uphold good corporate and social responsibility. All religious persuasions, sexual orientations and genders are respected here. Everyone has a place. The hardest part of the job is executing fire drills during the busiest periods of the year, when we have a full house. We always manage to do it well but handling hundreds of panicking people at once can be challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job, by far, is being invited to attend events that I have arranged and setup.
Pros
Extra holidays per year
Cons
Extra work at short notice
Working there in my student days, it was a good salary (for a student!), friendly environment. It can be rewarding knowing you've helped out students/ potential students. During the clearing period in the summer it is extremely busy but so exciting.
Pros
Great locality, good pay, good experience
Cons
often have temporary or contract work
Good workplace, they took care of us. They had taken care of food. Gave sufficient breaks and paid well. Most enjoyable part was that we helped prospective students and their future .
University of Westminster was a great place to work, very chilled. Management were lovely. Whilst being a student ambassador you helped with tours and general running of open days.
Was a great environment to work in through movement and expression, however the management was not running as smooth as it could have been. I wasn't getting paid and the team where very driven through emotions.
Pros
a great place to train and dance, Encouragement for expression was evident.
Cons
lack of management, lack of efficiency and payment
The Cavendish campus is superb! I enjoyed every minute of my time in the laboratory. The technicians and scientists are friendly and direct. I enjoyed the tasks I was given, and I learnt a lot from it.
A typical day at work involved the following: liaising on the telephone, face-to-face and email with internal and external customers. First point of contact and provided professional administrative support (such as room booking and minute taking. Also completed maintaining electronic file, scanning information and various general administration duties as required by team. I learnt from the team and received on the job training from the team to complete my work
Pros
Central London
Cons
Traffic delays owing to weather
Busy environment, where everyone is given equal amount of work .Sometimes, working shifts are released late. However, the staff are very understanding and some of them are very friendly, and do their best to make our shifts lighter and enjoyable.
Amazing workplace culture and management. We had the responsibilities to call Alumni to help donate to the 125 fund (a funding campaign) for students. I was among the top telephone interviewer/ Administration teams which were fun and very educative in terms of knowledge and learning different things.
Pros
Daily activities for gifts
Cons
Not enough hours
Great University, informative well structured lectures and helpful lecturers. Would recommend to anyone thinking of doing a psychology or social science related higher degree.