UNIVERSITY OF YORK

UNIVERSITY OF YORK Employee Reviews

United Kingdom82 reviews

Great workplace

Definitely enjoying working for the Library Services - great team and the job itself is great too. Not stressful and not too fast paced.Management treats you well too, very understanding.

Have been here 5 months and really love it. I work in Recruitment and have a great relationship with my line manager and all the IT managers who I work with. Really great place to work and highly recommend.

Undervalued

No sense of achievement or job satisfaction Very stressful and reactive work patternsContinually scheduling and rescheduling meetings No clear career advancement route

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Stressful

A positive working environment, let down by management and a challenging sector.

All the Professional Support staff at the University of York in my experience have really cared for the students and really felt they were making a difference to their education and life. There is a lot of enthusiasm and eagerness. Likewise, I've never met an un-helpful colleague: they all are so willing to support and assist you. There is a really positive culture.However, the inefficiencies at the University really let it down. There is a lack of collaboration between Departments and Central Services which means that every Department is its own little fiefdom and does things differently, and Central tries to impose its will on Departments without actually know what impact their changes will cause. You'll find two Departments doing something in two totally different ways with no guidance for Central, but then Central will come up with some "brilliant" new idea and want all staff to implement it, without thinking on how this will actually affect front-line staff and services.The University does seem to be trying to address these inefficiencies through their current Change Programme as part of the Vision for 2030, however confidence in this is very low and there is a lot of doubt on if it will be successful or not. It seems to be redundancy and centralisation by-stealth. Information about the Change Programme is vague and confusing and there has been little input from 'normal' staff.The sector is challenging right now with Government budget cuts, academic strikes, impacts of Brexit, and grumbles over tuition fees. It makes for a fairly tense and stressed atmosphere without -

Pros

Good pay, excellent annual leave entitlement, brilliant colleagues

Cons

Out of touch management, challenging sector to work in with lots of change, little progression opportunities

It’s a great place to work if your line manager likes you

I loved working at the University of York, however, my line manager was very fond of telling me that I didn’t measure up to the previous Receptionist. She took great delight whenever I made an error.

Pros

Great hours, mostly lovely people if your face fit

Cons

A cow of a line manager

Poor

Part-time only position.Poor communications - often "dropped" in to do work, including on "non-working" days, and at the "last minute".Favouritism,

Dreadful experience

Worked here for 6 months needless to say I left. I found it very disorganised with either cleaning staff on sick or the ones that have worked there a long time given preferential treatment the pay is poor in comparison for the work you do. Too heavy with managers

Pros

Some nice staff

Cons

Poor pay, hard work

Excellent workplace, safe an supportive

Ongoing training and advancement available to all staff. Staff encouraged to attend work related training. T&C of employment excellent. Kept well informed from the Senior Management team.

Pros

Very pleasant place to work in the beautiful and safe grounds.

Cons

Insufficient bus routes to get to work

Nepotism rife here

Worked for many years here. Challenging to leave as there are few job available at the moment. One of the most problematic things is that the senior management although new (which was hopeful) have continued to employ and promote the most useless people. Really hard to get on in the organisation. Lots of bullying but it is well hidden. Strong legal department means that any complaints or actions get buried.

Pros

Cons

Bullying and nepotism.

Collaborative and interesting

Working as a small, close-knit team allows you to build strong work relationships making each work day enjoyable. Meeting new customers and working creatively makes every day different.

Stressful but can be fun

This wasn't my long-term career choice so I struggled at first getting into a different position and being surround by different responsibilities and tasks. For short term employment this was enjoyable.

Friendly environment

A positive place to work, good life-work balance. Permanent staff are well treated. Post docs struggle due to rules and restrictions put on contract staff.

Pros

Good work-life balance encouraged

Cons

Restrictions on postdocs limits development

Intense

Intense work place with very stressful conditions. Due to repeated need for funding management are under a great amount of stress and this filters down to employees.

Great environment

Good environment, poorly paid. Would recommend as it is a good place to go to uni. Lecturers are very helpful and the facilities at the university of York are brilliant.

Post doc employment

I highly recommend postdoctoral employment at University of York. I have been served with an experienced and dedicated supervisor during the entire period of work appointment.

Good opportunities

The few positions I have held within the University have been well paid or well subsided when they were not paid roles. often fitted around university commitments though I only did the occasional day shifts.

Pleasant Work Place

A great and friendly place to work, a very casual atmosphere with strong friendships built. Management and HR let the place down, with a lack of organisation, direction and knowledge amongst senior roles.

Busy but not friendly

The work was good, varied and busy but the other employees where not very friendly so I only worked there for a year because I didn't feel comfortable or able to join in as no one was trying to include me.

Jobs are awarded to friends and internal candidates

Recently applied for a Managers post in the Accommodation department. Despite having a great interview Job was given to an inexperienced internal candidate.

Cons

People are promoted on friendship basis

Could not wish for better line management. Fantastic learning and development opportunities and in my department the permission to be creative.

A wonderful department and a wonderful team. Fantastic line management. Staff are really supportive and enabling. I was provided with a number of fantastic learning and development opportunities both work based and taught. Not all departments will have the same working environment so good to find out as much as you can before applying.

Fun workplace

A typical day would include communicating with many staff members and truly understanding how the firm operates as a business with a charitable purpose behind it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNIVERSITY OF YORK. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare UNIVERSITY OF YORK with

UNIVERSITY OF YORK Reviews by Location

• UNIVERSITY OF YORK
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?