UNIVERSITY OF YORK

UNIVERSITY OF YORK Employee Reviews

Ongoing training and advancement available to all staff. Staff encouraged to attend work related training. T&C of employment excellent. Kept well informed from the Senior Management team.
Pros
Very pleasant place to work in the beautiful and safe grounds.
Cons
Insufficient bus routes to get to work
Fixed term contracts on lowest pay point of grade 5. It won't pay the rent in York. Clueless management. Very poor morale amongst tutors. Limited opportunity to take holidays during school holidays unlike management who take them when they want.
Pros
Cons
The salary, the holidays, management
Worked here for over 10 years. The pay used to be good but over the years have seen no incremental pay rises which means now the pay is pretty poor. I have seen good staff leave and the existing staff have to cover their areas. It’s hard work if you are here short term then it’s an ideal job but feel for a long term job it’s not worth it
Pros
Some friendly staff
Cons
Poor pay
Worked for many years here. Challenging to leave as there are few job available at the moment. One of the most problematic things is that the senior management although new (which was hopeful) have continued to employ and promote the most useless people. Really hard to get on in the organisation. Lots of bullying but it is well hidden. Strong legal department means that any complaints or actions get buried.
Pros
Cons
Bullying and nepotism.
Working as a small, close-knit team allows you to build strong work relationships making each work day enjoyable. Meeting new customers and working creatively makes every day different.
This wasn't my long-term career choice so I struggled at first getting into a different position and being surround by different responsibilities and tasks. For short term employment this was enjoyable.
A positive place to work, good life-work balance. Permanent staff are well treated. Post docs struggle due to rules and restrictions put on contract staff.
Pros
Good work-life balance encouraged
Cons
Restrictions on postdocs limits development
Intense work place with very stressful conditions. Due to repeated need for funding management are under a great amount of stress and this filters down to employees.
Good environment, poorly paid. Would recommend as it is a good place to go to uni. Lecturers are very helpful and the facilities at the university of York are brilliant.
I highly recommend postdoctoral employment at University of York. I have been served with an experienced and dedicated supervisor during the entire period of work appointment.
The few positions I have held within the University have been well paid or well subsided when they were not paid roles. often fitted around university commitments though I only did the occasional day shifts.
A great and friendly place to work, a very casual atmosphere with strong friendships built. Management and HR let the place down, with a lack of organisation, direction and knowledge amongst senior roles.
The work was good, varied and busy but the other employees where not very friendly so I only worked there for a year because I didn't feel comfortable or able to join in as no one was trying to include me.
Recently applied for a Managers post in the Accommodation department. Despite having a great interview Job was given to an inexperienced internal candidate.
Cons
People are promoted on friendship basis
A wonderful department and a wonderful team. Fantastic line management. Staff are really supportive and enabling. I was provided with a number of fantastic learning and development opportunities both work based and taught. Not all departments will have the same working environment so good to find out as much as you can before applying.
A typical day would include communicating with many staff members and truly understanding how the firm operates as a business with a charitable purpose behind it.
Working as seminar tutor, supporting lecturers. Good working environment, plenty of support. Enjoy teaching, appreciate freedom to create own lessons. Only wish there were more hours and/or there was pay for lesson planning.
I worked part time for the University in various roles while I studied there. Everyone was so kind and patient for those who were new to that kind of work and it was the perfect method for me to gain some experience and financial benefits while studying.
Opportunity to support students and academics, administering student lifecycle from initial enquiry through to graduation and beyond, in many cases. Training in use SITS student records software, use of Excel and Word on a daily basis. Nature of relationship with students has changed since introduction of tuition fees. Students (and, particularly, their parents) see themselves as customers and have greater expectations, particularly if things do not work out as anticipated. Time taken in monitoring attendance of international students on Tier 4 visas could be used instead to enhance student experience.
I gain some of the important knowledge during my work at University of York, for example after working at York now I am; • Expert in data collection and management • Proficient in RCT & Qualitative research • Expert in organising, analysing, and managing large data sets to drive research project success. • Experience of writing grant proposal • Proficient in various software programs, including Microsoft Office (MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel), Endnote, Qualtrics and NVivo. • Expert in interpretation of qualitative data and data extraction
The university was proficient at making its students work to their best potential. The opportunities available were endless and support for future career prospects always on hand. The Tea and Coffee cub was one of those opportunities and the best thing I took up at University. The most gratifying aspect was the ability to provide someone who is lonely with some company. Listening to their stories and hearing about their lives not only made them feel good, but taught me to be patient and considerate.
  1. Employee reviews