University of the Arts London

University of the Arts London Employee Reviews

A fast-paced, competitive yet friendly atmosphere, focused on thinking outside the box and working within the realms of self-directed learning for both teachers and students.
I work as a 0-hour Event staff and Student Ambassador and I have nothing to complain about. There was a variety of shifts on a regular basis, the application process is clear and information provided is helpful. The shifts are always manageable, sometimes even easy to do, the rate of pay is amazing, and the supervisors and managers are always friendly, helpful and professional. The only inconvenience is the changing work pattern, with unreliable working hours, but I guess this is expected from a 0-hour contract.
Pros
great pay, manageable workload, professional staff, diversity of shifts
Cons
no stability
UAL does have some kind and creative people, however the management and work culture are awful. Senior management built toxic hierarchies and a bully culture. I’m glad that I left. I couldn’t stand it anymore.I did not feel being trusted or respected by my manager, and there was no promotion at all, not even just simply ask my career ambitions etc.
Pros
Creative, central London
Cons
Toxic Culture, terrible management
Having interviewed at UAL for a management position, I had to negotiate my pay with a very senior person rather than HR as you normally would for a university role. I was utterly stiffed on pay - my previous salary was the basis for negotiations rather than what the current job would entail and my own skills. This is the reason gender pay gaps exist! The probation period is a whopping 12 months, during which they can let you go within a week. I was unlucky enough to sit under the worst manager I've ever had and felt like my job was on the line the entire time. I was made to feel like the smallest mistake would be the end for me and as it turned out, this is exactly what was happening. This person kept a list of any tiny thing I didn't do to their arbitrary standards (which kept changing) to use against me. Luckily I got out before any serious damage was done. The culture is incredibly uncooperative. Nobody wants to work with anyone else. Zero collaboration, even if it would actually be good for UAL as a whole. This leaves people who are reliant on others to complete their work in the impossible position of having to answer to senior staff for other people's mistakes. They market themselves as highly innovative but when presented with something that's actually new and cutting edge, everyone is entrenched in a culture of "we can't do that because this is just always how we've done things". I'll never understand how they get anything done - people are incredibly disorganised and even when they aren't, nobody wants to co-opperate to get the job done in good time.More senior - more...
Pros
The name looks good on your CV, an inspiring working environment thanks to the talents of its students.
Cons
Low pay, expensive internal canteens, disorganised and vindictive senior management
You have to ask yourself why the academic staff are on strike at the moment ? Not only does the college have all of the problems associated with the university sector (precarity, casualisation), it is also characterised by poor managers (be wary of the school of media - it is the worst) many of whom who have been rapidly promoted from within the ranks. The work culture is generally one of paranoia and fear with a high turnover of staff. It could all be so very different.
A fabulous organisation to be part of. Working within an innovative forward thinking facility. I learned that to be part of a team in a truly inspirational organisation is both inspiring and creates a secure environment. I learned about sustainability and various inspirational social enterprises, working in the community and with MOJ.
An extremely good place to work with an ethos towards good staff, career development and supportive line management. You will also get great support through 1-2-1, mid term reviews and appraisals. Many tasks will be set through SMART objectives focusing on an individuals strengths/development. You will also work with many great individuals/ teams learning new skills which may enhance your career.
I worked at the university for 5 years and it was great, a supportive and collaborative learning environment. If I have the chance to work there again I will.
Pros
Good team, hours and pay.
Cons
Not so many progression opportunities
Unscrupulous managers managing down trodden staff. They do not care for the proper way of doing things and are unwilling to abide by their own policies and procedures.
Had the best time studying at this university. Made so many memories and also learned a lot too.Its an experience I will never forget and always cherish.
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience working there as I learnt so much and gained so much from this experience. I wouldn't mind working for them again in the future.
Pros
lunch
Early start nice time of the day Everyones voice is heard Management kept us informed Great workplace to be in Tropical temperatures in the office Not just colleagues but friends
A typical working day was starting by being briefed by one of the Supervisor/Manager in charge. After receiving instructions about the event, a map of the building was given to everyone of us. We were assigned with the daily tasks and then sent off to set up everything that was needed to welcome the guests. I have been working for the same team for almost 3 years and this really gave me the opportunity to get accustomed to the working method and the team members. The scenario were I was working was almost perfect for me and the needs I had. Considering that I was studying and also in need of an employment which could help me to optimise my time schedule. That was potentially one of the best solutions I could have came across. The sum of all this factors largely contributed to create a very positive and enjoyable workplace.
Pros
No commute between college and workplace.
Cons
No free lunch
Great manager good hours to work around your studies and good pay. one downside is that you get paid a two months after you have worked so hard to budget for the month.
Great role which is engaging and developmental with variety and opportunity however employment status and mechanism for pay are not as good and progression routes are limited. there is a lot of travel involved in role which is not passed and no holiday or sick pay.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
poor employment status
Really enjoyable and beneficial organisation to be a part of with a keen interest in arts education and transformable education. Colleagues met during working events, annual meetings and other networking opportunities gives you constantly updated knowledge within the ever changing landscape of education.
As a student still studying at UAL I don't have a bad word to say. Lectures are very eager to help if you are lacking in any area and always try to push you to the next leave. Deadlines are very important at UAL as we are being prepped for the professional world everything we do has to be kept to a professional level at all times.
Pros
Everything is professional
Cons
Communication can be hard.
It is a challenging job to be a lecturer and researcher but I loved every minute I was there and found staff to be supportive. The atmosphere at time can be full on especially towards the end of the academic year however overall great place to work.
Pros
Lots of exhibitions
Cons
I enjoyed working with the diverse staff at the University of the Arts London. I enjoyed the opportunity of meeting, and helping students from all over the world. There was a variety of admin work which covered a variety of areas so it was never boring.
Pros
Gained transferable skills, could apply for other jobs internally in the University which covered sites all over London.
Cons
Vibrant workplace. I enjoyed the 16 years I worked there as the job grew as the organisation grew and the provided an interesting work day and the progress was visible as I was there for the long period of time. Department went from 15 to over 150 in the time i was there.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance
Cons
Slow/no decisions made. Bureaucracy.
Work was extremely varied and included travel to different sites. Travel expenses were paid for. The workplace involved training seminars, otherwise it was travelling solo to visit as a representative. I learned a lot and would recommend this company to anyone.