University of the Arts London logo
University of the Arts London

University of the Arts London Employee Reviews

An exciting work place focused on free thinking and learning

A fast-paced, competitive yet friendly atmosphere, focused on thinking outside the box and working within the realms of self-directed learning for both teachers and students.

Poor culture, internal power struggles and inadequate managers on ego trips.

I had a bad time here. Reporting lines were blurred. One manager kept giving me work that was outside my Job Description, Person Specification and ability, knowing I would struggle with it. Another took work from me to give to a colleague in another team, as part of a power struggle. My experience of working at UAL really damaged my confidence. It seems as if the middle managers do not have their performance or behavior managed by their managers, and it should be, as it would stop a lot of problems.

Pros

Cons

Poor management and poor culture

Great pay, varied shifts, well organised and friendly team

I work as a 0-hour Event staff and Student Ambassador and I have nothing to complain about. There was a variety of shifts on a regular basis, the application process is clear and information provided is helpful. The shifts are always manageable, sometimes even easy to do, the rate of pay is amazing, and the supervisors and managers are always friendly, helpful and professional. The only inconvenience is the changing work pattern, with unreliable working hours, but I guess this is expected from a 0-hour contract.

Pros

great pay, manageable workload, professional staff, diversity of shifts

Cons

no stability

Creative place, terrible culture

UAL does have some kind and creative people, however the management and work culture are awful. Senior management built toxic hierarchies and a bully culture. I’m glad that I left. I couldn’t stand it anymore.I did not feel being trusted or respected by my manager, and there was no promotion at all, not even just simply ask my career ambitions etc.

Pros

Creative, central London

Cons

Toxic Culture, terrible management

Not a supportive workplace

Having interviewed at UAL for a management position, I had to negotiate my pay with a very senior person rather than HR as you normally would for a university role. I was utterly stiffed on pay - my previous salary was the basis for negotiations rather than what the current job would entail and my own skills. This is the reason gender pay gaps exist! The probation period is a whopping 12 months, during which they can let you go within a week. I was unlucky enough to sit under the worst manager I've ever had and felt like my job was on the line the entire time. I was made to feel like the smallest mistake would be the end for me and as it turned out, this is exactly what was happening. This person kept a list of any tiny thing I didn't do to their arbitrary standards (which kept changing) to use against me. Luckily I got out before any serious damage was done. The culture is incredibly uncooperative. Nobody wants to work with anyone else. Zero collaboration, even if it would actually be good for UAL as a whole. This leaves people who are reliant on others to complete their work in the impossible position of having to answer to senior staff for other people's mistakes. They market themselves as highly innovative but when presented with something that's actually new and cutting edge, everyone is entrenched in a culture of "we can't do that because this is just always how we've done things". I'll never understand how they get anything done - people are incredibly disorganised and even when they aren't, nobody wants to co-opperate to get the job done in good time.More senior -

Pros

The name looks good on your CV, an inspiring working environment thanks to the talents of its students.

Cons

Low pay, expensive internal canteens, disorganised and vindictive senior management

Appalling place to work

You have to ask yourself why the academic staff are on strike at the moment ? Not only does the college have all of the problems associated with the university sector (precarity, casualisation), it is also characterised by poor managers (be wary of the school of media - it is the worst) many of whom who have been rapidly promoted from within the ranks. The work culture is generally one of paranoia and fear with a high turnover of staff. It could all be so very different.

Fast paced, inspirational

A fabulous organisation to be part of. Working within an innovative forward thinking facility. I learned that to be part of a team in a truly inspirational organisation is both inspiring and creates a secure environment. I learned about sustainability and various inspirational social enterprises, working in the community and with MOJ.

A good place to work

An extremely good place to work with an ethos towards good staff, career development and supportive line management. You will also get great support through 1-2-1, mid term reviews and appraisals. Many tasks will be set through SMART objectives focusing on an individuals strengths/development. You will also work with many great individuals/ teams learning new skills which may enhance your career.

UAL was a great employer

I worked at the university for 5 years and it was great, a supportive and collaborative learning environment. If I have the chance to work there again I will.

Pros

Good team, hours and pay.

Cons

Not so many progression opportunities

Poor example of a fair employer

Unscrupulous managers managing down trodden staff. They do not care for the proper way of doing things and are unwilling to abide by their own policies and procedures.

Jobs at University of the Arts London

See more jobs

fun university

Had the best time studying at this university. Made so many memories and also learned a lot too.Its an experience I will never forget and always cherish.

creative and fun

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience working there as I learnt so much and gained so much from this experience. I wouldn't mind working for them again in the future.

Pros

lunch

Friendly, productive

Early start nice time of the day Everyones voice is heard Management kept us informed Great workplace to be in Tropical temperatures in the office Not just colleagues but friends

Professional and homelike environment

A typical working day was starting by being briefed by one of the Supervisor/Manager in charge. After receiving instructions about the event, a map of the building was given to everyone of us. We were assigned with the daily tasks and then sent off to set up everything that was needed to welcome the guests. I have been working for the same team for almost 3 years and this really gave me the opportunity to get accustomed to the working method and the team members. The scenario were I was working was almost perfect for me and the needs I had. Considering that I was studying and also in need of an employment which could help me to optimise my time schedule. That was potentially one of the best solutions I could have came across. The sum of all this factors largely contributed to create a very positive and enjoyable workplace.

Pros

No commute between college and workplace.

Cons

No free lunch

Great Manager

Great manager good hours to work around your studies and good pay. one downside is that you get paid a two months after you have worked so hard to budget for the month.

interesting a varied role

Great role which is engaging and developmental with variety and opportunity however employment status and mechanism for pay are not as good and progression routes are limited. there is a lot of travel involved in role which is not passed and no holiday or sick pay.

Pros

variety of work

Cons

poor employment status

Excellent organisation to be a part of

Really enjoyable and beneficial organisation to be a part of with a keen interest in arts education and transformable education. Colleagues met during working events, annual meetings and other networking opportunities gives you constantly updated knowledge within the ever changing landscape of education.

As a student

As a student still studying at UAL I don't have a bad word to say. Lectures are very eager to help if you are lacking in any area and always try to push you to the next leave. Deadlines are very important at UAL as we are being prepped for the professional world everything we do has to be kept to a professional level at all times.

Pros

Everything is professional

Cons

Communication can be hard.

Wonderful place to work for anyone creative

It is a challenging job to be a lecturer and researcher but I loved every minute I was there and found staff to be supportive. The atmosphere at time can be full on especially towards the end of the academic year however overall great place to work.

Pros

Lots of exhibitions

Good Variety of Work Available

I enjoyed working with the diverse staff at the University of the Arts London. I enjoyed the opportunity of meeting, and helping students from all over the world. There was a variety of admin work which covered a variety of areas so it was never boring.

Pros

Gained transferable skills, could apply for other jobs internally in the University which covered sites all over London.

Brillant place to work

Vibrant workplace. I enjoyed the 16 years I worked there as the job grew as the organisation grew and the provided an interesting work day and the progress was visible as I was there for the long period of time. Department went from 15 to over 150 in the time i was there.

Pros

Excellent work/life balance

Cons

Slow/no decisions made. Bureaucracy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of the Arts London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement