University of the West of England

University of the West of England Employee Reviews

I loved my time and work while at UWE. The people are wonderful and friendly. The management at times forget the impact of their decisions on lower down staff and are poor at communicating. The biggest issue I have is that they are too happy to let good people leave the organisation.
I worked for the UWE Temporary Register in different departments. We always have quite a lot of pressure as we are called in to do backlogs of work and for sickness and people going on holiday. The downside is they only pay when they need you and then you have no money coming in when staff return etc. No job security - like most jobs nowadays.
Pros
Learning new skills
Cons
temporary only have your when there is a backlog of work then dump you.
Nice to work with staff and community. The management team is good, helpfull. I like to work for them good benefits. Tim leader is very good professional.
The management style was very relaxed, collaborative and informal. Creativity was encouraged and work life balance was excellent. They did everything they could to help you manage your hours with your other commitments, even acknowledging you may have other passions to follow outside of work. Very flexible. In a big organisation there are always going to be unpopular cuts and managers at times but overall a lovely and supportive place to work.
Il est demandé d'apporter les fonds nécessaire: - à son propre salaire - au salaire de ses collaborateurs - au coût de la recherche elle même - aux frais que la recherche coute à l'Université (administration, location du lieu, électricité eaux, etc..; frais équivalent aux trois poste précédents)
The Pay rate was decent however the likelihood of being payed on time was 1 in 3 months. you were unlikely to get shifts unless you constantly hounded the management to ensure you were put down for shift you agreed to weeks prior as they forget to add your names to the rota.
I worked at UWE for 13 years. I found UWE to be a good employer because of pay and conditions, The role was challenging and varied. My only criticism, was there were too many 're-structures' and staff were not really listened to, when feedback was sought. However, overall I had a good experience whilst employed.
4 February 2020
Thanks for your comments, I guess that there would be a few changes during the life of your employment here at UWE. Can't really comment on the feedback as I wasn't involved, but good to know that your 13 years were positive overall. Very best wishes for the future!
My favourite job I've ever had, It was a shame that there was no progression from my internship. Varied work with tons of perks, and the nature of my role meant i was working alongside different people from all over the university, from students, to academics, to organisations that the university was in partnership with.
4 February 2020
Totally agree that working at a university is a unique experience in that you get to have contact with so many different departments, both internally and externally, alongside the student body. Great experience and glad that you enjoyed it. Please feel free to apply for any of our vacancies via our website. A large percentage of staff did study here and often then come back to work!
The company is a good company to work for taking into consideration the benefits currently incorporated. Over the years the pay grades have been systematically reduced thus eroding a previously good standard.
Absolutely loved working as a Student Ambassador at UWE. It really is a place where you can work hard to achieve your goals, learn a lot, and the positive energy and culture is contagious. Would recommend to anyone.
4 February 2020
Great to hear about your experience. I would also recommend to any student that they take advantage of Student Ambassador opportunities, as this work will stand you in good stead when applying for jobs after graduating. Good luck with your future career!
Get to work with a collaborative team who are always willing to help with ideas and suggestions. Continual feedback given and received by all, without causing a negative atmosphere.
Very nice people and place to work there is the opportunity for over time The management are very understanding and very willing to help with any personal issues, the teaching staff are friendly and considerate. The rates of pay for over time are good
Management was awful, didn't know how to run the business. No advancement at all, no full time contracts offered. Lots of laughs and banter with colleagues though.
overall this was a good place to work. It was interesting work, lots of training available for new and existing employees alike. Good supportive management.
I enjoyed my time there, I obtained a degree and was provided the opportunity to spend a year research in the USA. Staff were helpful and encouraging.
Flexible shifts to work around your uni schedule. Shifts are offered via texts. Opportunities to work at events, in cafes and in canteen. Good pay. Very convenient.
UWE provided me with an internship whilst I was still studying there, which gave me many opportunities to learn new skills and practise what I'd learnt in a professional environment. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and I remember the experience fondly.
They taught me how to be caring, compassionate and the necessary knowledge to be an effective nurse. The staff and fellow students are friendly and supportive.
The work I did at the university was alongside my studies, and was flexible enough not to effect them. It was a good role and I enjoyed interacting with all other students and getting their feedback.
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
My typical day involved organising drills, trainings and fixtures and gave me a great learning experience as it was a very independent role, though i was supported by management whenever necessary. The hardest part of the job was by far managing the players and had nothing to do with the job culture in place at UWE
I was only here for a short while on a temporary contract but was quikly made to feel part of the team wherver in the University I was needed to temp.