Urban Outfitters

United Kingdom212 reviews

Found 212 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,106 reviews
urbandiscountclotheretailshopstorecolleaguetill

Its okay for a pitstop

Very monotonous job roles which get jarring and dull overtime. The company preach to be sustainable but theres nothing put into action. No care for employees mental health.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Careless manager

Don’t work therw

Management is really bad. The job is stressful and they just expect you to do it. No training for seasonal people. Everyone has bad vibes and rude. It’s not fun working there.

Pros

Easily get the job

Cons

Pay is sooo low

Insights into Urban Outfitters

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Exhausting

I enjoyed working with the team but the communication from head office was appealing, work load was insane and they had no care/regard for you as individuals, you’re just there to make money to them. Pay was decent compared to other retailers but was not enough to compensate for how stressful everyday was, towards the end of my time there, I dreaded going to work and was so happy to leave. I would discourage anyone from working for urban outfitters.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Too many to list

No Opportunities

I found this company a bit of an uphill battle, no matter how hard you try your efforts do not get recognised and you will not progress. The team were left to encourage and motivate each other on their own and there was a lack of support from higher management.

Bad management

Awful people complete disregard for staff members without a high position and play favourites massively. Pay is okay but not outstanding, never get replies to any contact tried to make with managers you will have to confront them in person. So glad I left.

Fun workplace

Honestly this was one of my favourite jobs the staff were nice I was always happy to go to work the pay isn’t so good however and when the store got busy things did get a bit overwhelmed but overall good vibes

Very fun place to work

Management was considerate and lovely, so were coworkers. Very busy but not stressful, day varied more after I worked there a while. No dresscode too!

traumatising

don’t ever work here for the sake of ur mental health. i could write a book about all the reasons why. i was here for 2 weeks and i’ll never work for the company again and don’t advise anyone too. management are stuck up and rude, think they’re better than everyone. staff love to gossip about starters and it’s a very ‘he said she said’ place. you cannot say a single thing without it being told to everyone and their nan. i promise you, no matter your personality, you will spend your breaks alone. if u even get one. the staff are so clique-y.one time, i said i was gonna cry because i was so overwhelmed by being on the same area for 4 hours (you’re meant to swap every hour), and it was so busy and i was on the changing rooms. this got told to the store manager and i got pulled in for a ‘chat’. aka, i got in trouble for saying i was overwhelmed by the work load?it’s so toxic and really drains your mental health. after my first week i was calling in sick because i was too depressed to go in. discount and pay is good but it doesn’t equal out the horrible managers and toxic team. they expect you to do everything while the other staff stand around and talk. honestly it’s been months and i still get so angry about it.honestly don’t risk your mental health for a job.

High expectations for Little pay

Pay is usually £8 but on Oxford street/ Circus is £9. For what they expect is nothing, constant overtime working sometimes multiple hours after the shift is done. Can't sit for 5 hours straight, very fast paced, busy, crowded & stressful. Colleagues are really nice but management are young and have attitude. Not professional

Pros

40% discount, nice colleagues, diverse, young & fun

Cons

Long hours, little pay, busy and messy all the time, very high expectations

In general not to bad place to work but...

The Company is growing and do not care about the employees so much any more. Besides favouritism is in the house and that is soo shi*! Little chance to grow if you don't have someone in the higher position. Sad.

Fun workplace and lovely people

I enjoyed my time at urbanoutfitters. As someone who worked in retail in the past, I can readily say I preferred working at urbanoutfitters. The managers were kind and attentive.

Pros

Although it is fast-paced it is not stressfull

Cons

Busy due to the location

Busy

Can be stressful at times and the shift would often be really long, but overall the pay was good considering you get free accommodation at food, however the accommodation is very basic. But the location is beautiful and the weather was really good when there so I would often go to the beach in my spare time.

Toxic

`Genuinely such a toxic place. Management are catty and make snarks about most of the colleagues, they are probably the biggest con of working in this store. Staff discount is good but the job stress is far too heavy, it will leave you drained- store layout changes every day and you are never informed/properly trained so it means a lot of useless touring trying to teach yourself. Also does not feel inclusive at all.

Pros

Discount

Toxic

Just a toxic workplace, minimum wage in central london, high expectations with no reward. Rude and inexperienced management, clique like mentality. Avoid

Fast paced, creative and lots of freedom.

Urban can be a great company to work for depending on how much you put in to get out. Put your head down, buy into your line manager and you can progress fast and easy. London has the fastest route up management with so many stores. You can go from a team leader to store manager within 3 years, you won’t be ready for it but you’ll get pushed for it because they love internal progression.

Pros

Discount, Sick pay

Cons

9 hour shifts, last minute direction from HO

Bad work environment. Covent Garden store.

As a company they don’t always give you the legal 11 hours between shifts you will be on a late and then an early shift which doesn’t allow you to sleep much. Overall it’s a bad work environment with a high staff turnover if your looking for a part time job it’s fine.

Good environment, stressed managers

Good music, good discounts, and lovely colleagues. Quite easy to get a job, providing you seem like the kind of person who would shop at UO. Junior management is approachable, but availability you give in interviews isn’t always honoured. Scheduling can be hit and miss, you don’t know what you’ll get until you get it - it could be your contracted hours or double. Senior management can be unreasonable, and veteran staff used to advise to avoid them.

Pros

Discount is great, music is great, colleagues are cool.

Fun workplace but disorganised management

Management is very disorganised. Many people have also been unfairly or randomly fired with no reason or warning given. Fun environment and the team is very welcoming however management can sometimes be unfair and inconsiderate

Pros

Discount on store items

Awful

Management was terrible, sometimes you would be left on the tills all day serving customers without a break. Very little empathy from management. Incredibly gossipy judgmental environment and very stressful as its a very busy store. Can wear whatever you like, they were very relaxed about what you wear. The pay was awful, at the time I was working here they paid me below minimum wage. I wasn't entitled to holiday pay either as I was on a 0 hours contact, they convinced this was better upon interview and guaranteed I would work at least 4 days a week. They'd move my days off with little notice and take days away. Awful company to work for.

Pros

Wear whatever you like, good staff discount

Cons

Long hours, stressful work environment, rubbish pay, poor management

Quite enjoy working there - shame they closed the night shift down. Managers and instructors were quite decent. All the stuff was nice and friendly. Overtime was available and payed properly; breaks paid as well.

really rough managment and 0 understand of home/life balance

The management was SHOCKING, there were three days a week I couldn't work and told them before I even started but they continued to put me on shifts on those days and then blame me. The pay was never correct and asking them to correct it would lead to a write-up or them reprimanding you. They said it was a permanent position and then after 3 months claimed it was temporary. Really catty and very much he said she said mentality, not good AT ALL. You got a 45% discount and that was about the only good thing about it. No one lasted longer than 6 months there except for the management and people were constantly getting fired for completely unknown or very minor issues. There was no official training until about 2 and a half months in and even then you had to ASK THEM to train you!Everyone was paid differently depending on when you signed on and how successful the last quarter was. Absolutely diabolically ran and just was absolutely awful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement