Urban Outfitters Inc.
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 170 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,884 reviews

Creative, fashionable & laid-back workplace

I was a part time member of staff so I didn't consider my hours to be amazing or the wage anything other than minimum expected, but I was at university at the time so it worked for me! It's cool to work there if you genuinely love their clothes and the 'uniform' is just to wear the UO style but it doesn't have to be UO clothes specifically so it's really nice to express your style at work and wear things you're comfortable with. Literally even if it's 90's popper trackies! The staff are all like-minded cool people too so it's a nice team to be in. I didn't particularly love my manager there and she seemed to dislike me and was strict but that's just the luck of the draw I guess! She's not there now and it could have been worse. You got 40% discount off clothes and 20% off home (& big brands I think??) So that was a pro. Cons to me would be that you're not busy at all most of the time and you'll notice your feet aching because you're not really doing much. You're either strolling around making sure things are folded nicely or on the tills, or changing rooms mostly but again this depends on how busy the store is. I also had 4/5 hour shifts only on account of being a part-time member and I think it was to avoid paid breaks.

Pros

Great clothes in store and you get to wear that style to work & 40% discount!

Cons

Not always much work so can be a bit boring

Don’t work here

This is the worst job I have ever had, it is physically draining and exhausting and the pay is so low considering this. Management are rude and very fake, they do not care about you or your well-being at all, and are honestly very ignorant. If you have complaints or concerns they will just gaslight you until you feel terrible for even having concerns. They get onto you for being less than 5 minutes late, but you literally always go home late every single shift. Everyone hates their job (can’t blame them) so the environment is so depressing. I like some people i have met there but that is the extent of it. Constantly understaffed because everyone leaves the job consistently. A lot of people don’t make it past a couple of months, some i’ve seen leave after days, meaning we never have staff and the burden falls onto those who are left over. There’s a reason people will work here for a week and then leave, but management act oblivious as to why there is always a huge turnover in staff.

Pros

literally nothing

Cons

long hours, low pay, physically demanding

Bad Management and Nasty Atmosphere

I came to this job as it was advertised as a 8 hour permanent job and I really loved the idea of working in such a cool place and whilst working there I came to realise the managers there were awful at communication for if you needed to book dates off for other commitments I was told you had to email them the dates and when you did they would take ages to reply by then it would have gone past their 4 weeks notice. You would then be told you can’t have it off or worse they would ignore you and rota you in anyway and leave you scrambling to get it covered or swapped. If you’re also looking for a job that will offer training or guidance this is not the job for you, they basically throw you on the till when it’s ridiculously busy show you how to do it all in the space of 10 mins and then leave you to your own devices and never got given a till code the entire time so was always having to ask other staff members feeling like I was a burden to other people. I was told in my induction I was on a 3 month probation period which is pretty standard and I knew the date of that was coming up. I then unfortunately caught covid recently so had to self isolate and I’m sure anyone is aware I couldn’t have gone into work risking other members of staff catching it and today I was told through an email your contract is terminated as it was ‘Temporary’. I do not recall signing a temporary contract as I wouldn’t risk applying to a job like that when I have bills and rent to pay for. These managers are nothing but two faced childish people who shouldn’t be allowed to be managers, to not even have -

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Awful Communication between managers, disorganised company

Overworked - Underpaid

Very unprofessional company to work for! Management has no clue what they are doing yet think they are superior? Little to no training, it’s their loss I left unfortunately.

Pros

40% discount

Cons

Bad management

do NOT recommend working at the brighton store

overall bad management and unfair pay in my opinion, cant pay someone minimum wage when you live in one of the most expensive areas in england! did not feel treated with respect by some members of staff, would definitely recommend applying literally anywhere else but this store in particular

Its a fun place to work.

Have been Happy working there for the last 10 years but sadly there are moving to Peterborough and it to far to travel from bedford everyday as would put 2 hours on my daily commute.

Pros

Good people and management team.

Good place to work...fun and friendly workplace

Awesome place to work..I loved working there and if I could have gone back I really would have...really fun and friendly people and the work was good too

Pros

Good people

Cons

Good place

great place to work

very friendly place to work, everyone is willing to help if ever you are unsure of anything.The managers are there most mornings to greet you with a good morning The managers know all workers by name and will walk round asking how you are on that day

Pros

free hot drinks at break time

Cons

there moving

Productive and fun

Great, understanding management that was very lenient and fair with working hours, fun place to work and met some great people. In the heart of London, you meet people from every walk of life. My only complaint would be the pay, but even that is pretty standard/average for a retail job in London. Good job for students working/living in London.

Pros

Good hours if you request, understanding management.

Fun for meeting new people but poor management

Overall, the only benefit of the place was the staff discount and flexibility. I enjoyed making friends there but I found because of poor management, colleagues ended up not doing their jobs properly which then ended up with me doing more work. HR doesn't really care about the people in customer service, they are rude when they come in and they don't offer many benefits, also from what I've heard, it is hard to progress within the company. They need a stricter interview process and stricter management so people don't randomly not turn up for work for no reason and they actually do their job rather than waste time. The shop floor was often understaffed which made it stressful for the people working there. The customers were often also rude. Also, would help people take their job seriously if it was paid above minimum wage.

Pros

discount, flexible hours (depending on the person)

Cons

bad management, HR didn't seem to care, minimum wage, bad work environment

Jobs at Urban Outfitters Inc.

See more jobs

Decent

It’s not bad working at UO but your pay is not worth the stress of the job. The team for me was great and welcoming and made my experience much better.

Worst place I've ever worked.

Okay so, the whole look of working for Urban Outfitters looked great. I'm very into fashion, streetwear all that, so you'd think working somewhere like Urban Outfitters would be the greatest thing. Not at all, the interview was fun, it was a group interview, no dress code for it, just wear what you'd wear day to day, or to fit the look of Urban. I did get a call back the next, which was very exciting. Right, now the Urban Outfitters I was at was Oxford Circus, the one literally opposite the station, it is hella big. BUT! They had like a million managers, it was very unorganised, I had no rota, I literally had to keep calling up to find out when I'm in next, the people working there aren't friendly at all, unless you get put with a set person to train with, everyone else literally are up their own a*s, it was very awkward. You can't leave on the time you're suppose to leave at, you have to wait for you floor manager to come tell you when you can leave, and each time I was there, I'm staying extra time I'm not getting paid for. You won't have a set lunch time either, you have to also wait. Talking to the girls in the changing rooms, they've all said they hate it there, couple cut down their hours, some even was planning on leaving. I wasn't there for long, but I definitely wasn't about to stay any longer. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here long term unless you are a very very patient person, antisocial or up your own a*s ha.

Enjoyable work culture

Worked at the Oxford Circus flagship store for a year. Overall work culture is very relaxed and enjoyable and the staff is extremely friendly. As with any shop in central it gets very busy so if you are looking to stay on your feet then this is a job for you. Pay is slightly less than other stores (john lewis etc) but the staff discount is good and there were regular socials. As with most retail jobs work can get monotonous.

Pros

Staff discount, relaxed work culture, nice staff

Cons

Long hours, gets hectic at times, pay

Fun work place

I didn't enjoy working here as i was working full time and doing overtime, the pay wasnt great and management were very difficult to work with. They wasnt very understanding when it came to my medical condition which is very disheartening. I enjoyed work 50% of the time, sometimes it was fun to be at work but most days i hated it

productive and fun workplace

I really enjoyed coming to work and love how creative and fun everyone was! there were lots of staff perks including staff appreciation at different times in the year!

job would of been good if management were nice :)

honestly really enjoyed the actual job, folding clothes, manning the tills, working in the fitting rooms, replenishing stock, and u get a discount.. however the people in management or anyone higher than u were just not nice, unless they decided to like you. Definitely a pecking order..

Young workplace, low pay

I would suggest a role like this to students as they mainly only have part-time hours. But it was always fun working with the team, the work/life balance wasn't great but that also depends on the manager and how they deal with your rota.

Very challenging and stressful at times

Attend team briefing pick up scanner start picking or training new personnel how to use a scanner.mangerment continually checking rates meeting targets and high level picking some colleagues were really great and had time for you

Fun workplace but difficult to advance

I enjoyed most of my work at urban outfitters - there wasn't much opportunity for advancement. the workload was manageable but at times demanding when we were short staffed or when someone would call in sick. I feel like the management style wasn't representative of the workplace culture. In that we were often reprimanded for the tiniest of things such as carrying a water bottle on us or sitting down. When the shop itself had such a "laid back" aesthetic and attitude. It didn't really match up with the constant backlash from management

Terrible

The company has a terrible attitude and management of mental health illnesses. Management are not equipped with the skills to even perform some of their roles and the salary is the worst in the industry - especially considering the size of the teams and progression stunting.

Unsatisfactory

Long days, over stressed and under paid for said stress not taught anything beyond basics, not pushed to progress through leadership ladder team was great though, by far the best aspect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Urban Outfitters Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement