Urban Outfitters Inc.

Urban Outfitters Inc. Employee Reviews

I was a part time member of staff so I didn't consider my hours to be amazing or the wage anything other than minimum expected, but I was at university at the time so it worked for me! It's cool to work there if you genuinely love their clothes and the 'uniform' is just to wear the UO style but it doesn't have to be UO clothes specifically so it's really nice to express your style at work and wear things you're comfortable with. Literally even if it's 90's popper trackies! The staff are all like-minded cool people too so it's a nice team to be in. I didn't particularly love my manager there and she seemed to dislike me and was strict but that's just the luck of the draw I guess! She's not there now and it could have been worse. You got 40% discount off clothes and 20% off home (& big brands I think??) So that was a pro. Cons to me would be that you're not busy at all most of the time and you'll notice your feet aching because you're not really doing much. You're either strolling around making sure things are folded nicely or on the tills, or changing rooms mostly but again this depends on how busy the store is. I also had 4/5 hour shifts only on account of being a part-time member and I think it was to avoid paid breaks.
Pros
Great clothes in store and you get to wear that style to work & 40% discount!
Cons
Not always much work so can be a bit boring
very friendly place to work, everyone is willing to help if ever you are unsure of anything.The managers are there most mornings to greet you with a good morning The managers know all workers by name and will walk round asking how you are on that day
Pros
free hot drinks at break time
Cons
there moving
Great, understanding management that was very lenient and fair with working hours, fun place to work and met some great people. In the heart of London, you meet people from every walk of life. My only complaint would be the pay, but even that is pretty standard/average for a retail job in London. Good job for students working/living in London.
Pros
Good hours if you request, understanding management.
Overall, the only benefit of the place was the staff discount and flexibility. I enjoyed making friends there but I found because of poor management, colleagues ended up not doing their jobs properly which then ended up with me doing more work. HR doesn't really care about the people in customer service, they are rude when they come in and they don't offer many benefits, also from what I've heard, it is hard to progress within the company. They need a stricter interview process and stricter management so people don't randomly not turn up for work for no reason and they actually do their job rather than waste time. The shop floor was often understaffed which made it stressful for the people working there. The customers were often also rude. Also, would help people take their job seriously if it was paid above minimum wage.
Pros
discount, flexible hours (depending on the person)
Cons
bad management, HR didn't seem to care, minimum wage, bad work environment
It’s not bad working at UO but your pay is not worth the stress of the job. The team for me was great and welcoming and made my experience much better.
Okay so, the whole look of working for Urban Outfitters looked great. I'm very into fashion, streetwear all that, so you'd think working somewhere like Urban Outfitters would be the greatest thing. Not at all, the interview was fun, it was a group interview, no dress code for it, just wear what you'd wear day to day, or to fit the look of Urban. I did get a call back the next, which was very exciting. Right, now the Urban Outfitters I was at was Oxford Circus, the one literally opposite the station, it is hella big. BUT! They had like a million managers, it was very unorganised, I had no rota, I literally had to keep calling up to find out when I'm in next, the people working there aren't friendly at all, unless you get put with a set person to train with, everyone else literally are up their own a*s, it was very awkward. You can't leave on the time you're suppose to leave at, you have to wait for you floor manager to come tell you when you can leave, and each time I was there, I'm staying extra time I'm not getting paid for. You won't have a set lunch time either, you have to also wait. Talking to the girls in the changing rooms, they've all said they hate it there, couple cut down their hours, some even was planning on leaving. I wasn't there for long, but I definitely wasn't about to stay any longer. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here long term unless you are a very very patient person, antisocial or up your own a*s ha.
Worked at the Oxford Circus flagship store for a year. Overall work culture is very relaxed and enjoyable and the staff is extremely friendly. As with any shop in central it gets very busy so if you are looking to stay on your feet then this is a job for you. Pay is slightly less than other stores (john lewis etc) but the staff discount is good and there were regular socials. As with most retail jobs work can get monotonous.
Pros
Staff discount, relaxed work culture, nice staff
Cons
Long hours, gets hectic at times, pay
I didn't enjoy working here as i was working full time and doing overtime, the pay wasnt great and management were very difficult to work with. They wasnt very understanding when it came to my medical condition which is very disheartening. I enjoyed work 50% of the time, sometimes it was fun to be at work but most days i hated it
I really enjoyed coming to work and love how creative and fun everyone was! there were lots of staff perks including staff appreciation at different times in the year!
honestly really enjoyed the actual job, folding clothes, manning the tills, working in the fitting rooms, replenishing stock, and u get a discount.. however the people in management or anyone higher than u were just not nice, unless they decided to like you. Definitely a pecking order..
I would suggest a role like this to students as they mainly only have part-time hours. But it was always fun working with the team, the work/life balance wasn't great but that also depends on the manager and how they deal with your rota.
Attend team briefing pick up scanner start picking or training new personnel how to use a scanner.mangerment continually checking rates meeting targets and high level picking some colleagues were really great and had time for you
I enjoyed most of my work at urban outfitters - there wasn't much opportunity for advancement. the workload was manageable but at times demanding when we were short staffed or when someone would call in sick. I feel like the management style wasn't representative of the workplace culture. In that we were often reprimanded for the tiniest of things such as carrying a water bottle on us or sitting down. When the shop itself had such a "laid back" aesthetic and attitude. It didn't really match up with the constant backlash from management
The company has a terrible attitude and management of mental health illnesses. Management are not equipped with the skills to even perform some of their roles and the salary is the worst in the industry - especially considering the size of the teams and progression stunting.
Long days, over stressed and under paid for said stress not taught anything beyond basics, not pushed to progress through leadership ladder team was great though, by far the best aspect
I started work at urban on Monday, I was trained completely wrong and not given all the rules of the workplace correctly, so I made a few mistakes but this is why they have a 3DAY training period, on my 3rd day I was fired because I wasn’t doing it fast enough
nothing special an had a lot of extra work to pick up for the slack of others including higher management. too relaxed in culture and no real progression. people who should have been moved on were not and allowed to stay in current roles which did not support the business
This was an enjoyable job. The wages was way too low for the work we were expected to do. The working environment was good fun and the staff were a good time to be around and made it a very fun place to work
Great atmosphere and people. The pay was not up to my standard. Would recommend for students or part time workers. Easy progression path and great contact between shop floor and head office.
Its not that there is much to be done about it. But most of my time working there was spent waiting for something to do, also having to deal with so much theft from customers were frustrating.
• Opening and closing the shop floor. • Operating tills and handling cash, including returns and exchanges. • Making sure the department was tidy and presentable. • Clearing clothes from the changing rooms and distributing them to the floor.