Utility Warehouse

Utility Warehouse Employee Reviews

Featured review
Utility Warehouse selected this as a representative review
The atmosphere is great here. I've never worked for a business where people show up smiling on a Monday morning. Everyone from colleagues to management have been supportive and helpful and I really feel like a valued part of the business. It can be high volume at times, but I work in a great team and we help each other out when we get busy.
Pros
Good employee recognition, onsite canteen, employee events, annual bonus, cheap Bupa insurance and friendly and supportive people.
Cons
I found the systems a bit complicated initially, but I let the person training me know and they helped me get the hang of it
Official response from Utility Warehouse
25 June 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy that you have caught on to the UW vibe of happiness and have felt supported from day one. We would love to explore your comments around training and systems further. Our dedicated training team are always at hand as you mentioned but if you are spotting anything else they can help us make sure our new starters and existing teams feel confident please do feel free to approach them as they would love to hear from you!
Personally a shamble. Management talk behind your back with no what is going on and suddenly you receive a displinary for nothing. They are too many friends at management levels that the structure is poor. Was there a month and following an incident left and was more than happy to. What a shambles of a company. Training is 4 weeks before you actually start. Was only supposed to be correspondence via email and then calling customers came into it and target's to call a certain amount of customers before shift ended which was never in the job description when advertised. Customers are always angry with the service!
Pros
Canteen and money on staff card to get food.
Cons
So many.
I think UW as a supplier is fantastic, very relaxed. But when they became a meter installation company there was a lot of errors in them appointing Managers. Dreadfull were there choices. These Managers took it upon them selfs to start witch hunts, harass Engineers, coming dow hard on Engineers for minor mis-haps. Making them to travel in there time to rectify.Then were continuous phone calls after work time,bombardment of emails Upper Management were very unhappy learning what was going on & put a stop to these practices. They still continued & droves of Engineers have left this company
Pros
Working for a supplier
Cons
Expected to do 4 duels a day. Never paid for overtime
At first look Utility Warehouse is an inclusive and fun environment. But beneath the surface it’s full of gossips and discrimination. Be cautious. I wouldn’t recommend if you are serious about your career.
Cons
Long hours, rude team members, gossip, harassment
Beautiful head office and the best learning and development team! This was a great place to work as the people you start with are usually the people you get grouped with moving forward into your teams, they have a great canteen with a lot of food choices, the salad bar was amazing and the best part was they always had a coffee bean of the month, I would always be excited to get a coffee in the mornings! As the Company pay a very low salary, they try to compensate by giving treats quite often for example buying food like samosa and going round and offering everyone one. Or some days they would give you a choice of ice creams. On pay day they always provided alcohol beverages.
Pros
Training, Drinks on payday and loads of challenges to win things like early leave it one extra holiday
Cons
Management take advantage of people who are good at their job!
Excellent environment with brilliant people. NHQ in London but has a wider reach across the U.K. and is in different sectors from Energy to Telecoms and Financial (Multi-Utility Company). This provides many different opportunities within the business and for the customers.
I have to be honest, there are some good people there. However there are some who ENJOY making your life a living ell and they don’t do it with reason, they just do it for the fun of it, that’s one of the reasons I decided to leave. Also opportunities are given to “friends” aswell as always stressing people about their time on calls and being told off on that putting it across that they just care about quantity not quality, for example you could be one call off your target and they would tell you they are disappointed in that not understanding that there are some days where calls that are longer than usual because the member is upset. Quarantine has definitely made my decision easier because they loved to send you an email/give you a call every second about what you’re doing wrong. We would take back to back calls whereas the people who are higher up would just lay back and demand instead of guide. It was either leave the job and think later about how you’re going to support yourself or stay and damage your mental health. I had to leave.
Pros
Cultural appreciation
Cons
Long hours, under-appreciated, disrespectful managers/TLs
I have worked part time for UW for 18 months. No targets and you get out of it what you put in! Amazing to be part of a team ethos but work independently! I love it
Good learning to be had. Just do exactly what they say. The tech is outdated. Location was good. The company has got potential, needs to expand its size and look at the market more carefully.
I loved working at UW. Everything is so organised, management are really nice and there’s help anytime u need it. My contract was ended due to COVID 19. I will definitely want to work with this company again.
Overall a Good place to work, Due to Covid 19 i couldn't feel the real UW environment as everybody was stressed. Soon after we started working from home.
Comment – 20 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We would be interested to hear how you have found your experience since working at home and how your team have continued to support you, feel free to contact People and Culture to discuss further.
Made friends gave me confidence , plenty training , perks free holidays, free cars housing plan share, commission up front , working remotely, free led bulbs £ 50 for referring , free Xmas hamper, Cheltenham Derby free ticket plus free horse bets, all your home service in one
Pros
Good lunch
Cons
Flexible hours
modern day slavery, they monitor you 24/7 & tell you off whenever you take to type.Management is very poor & you only get promoted if your friends with managements
Pros
Canteen
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, poor structure
Comment – 10 August 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time working for UW. It would be great if you could get in touch with the People and Culture team to ensure your feedback was captured in your exit interview.
Terrible company who employ sly managers, you have little training to start with, expected to lie to the customers. If you even question the management you are pushed out. Basically a 2 bit company whose management are out of their depth and offer no help in their day to day running or to the staff
Pros
They pay you
Cons
Too many to say
Utility Warehouse is a cult-like, multi-level marketing company or "pyramid scheme" business where all the time and money you spend on "building your own business" only goes to the people at the top who are the face of the company, with their success stories being the reasons people join. It's disgusting how the company is run and what it is founded on. Don't fall for it.
Pros
Very poor management 😡😡😡😡, really poor customer service. People are not treated fairly and management has their own favourites to promote, staff are constantly swearing and using foul language when others are on the phone to customers which is very unprofessional. They only know how to use people and then keep extending their probations until the person gets fed up and resigns! This is talking from my experience.
Comment – 10 August 2020
wow.wow.wow. amazing company to be a part of. you are your own boss. loads of support. flexible working around children and even a main job. awesome opportunities and benefits while you build your income.
Pros
free luxury holidays to qualify for - reward for consistent effort
Cons
no activity - no pay
I basically had a nervous breakdown after working 9 months for this company. During my time there, I was constantly being put under pressure as your every move are spied on and they cut you no slack whatsoever. You have to be at your desk at 0859 to be sure to start taking calls at 0900. Your bathroom breaks are monitored and you lose points for taking a breather from all the incoming calls of angry customers on the line. You also get marked off if you spend too much time on the phone explaining things to customers in details. The salary wasn't anywhere near enough for all this mental anguish, and definitely not enough to afford living in the area. In the end, I was just physically and mentally exhausted. It took me a few months to recover after that.
Comment – 13 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear you found this role so stressful. I would be interested to learn more about your experience with us, please contact our People and Culture team for a more in depth conversation. The Resourcing team have updated the recruitment process to now ensure that not only are new starters are aware of the expectations of the our customer service advisors, but also that they are assessed according to these expectations.
Forward thinking company Upto date with technology Reactive to change Good communications Realistic work schedule Good working systems Management seem approachable and proactive
I worked there for 3 weeks and it became really apparent how bad how the trainer was, I heard stories of arguments with other staff but I found its her way or the highway, I never saw her admit she was wrong, being humble and its a shame as she is a really bright trainer but being humble, "agree t disagree" is not in her vocabulary. The amenities are amazing, canteen, sports room, showers, its all quality. Some really nice sales staff and managers as well. A higher wage than normal with other energy companies but the system was quite good but putting the payments through is a nightmare, I lost 4/5 sales as would not accept DD details after 30 mins plus getting acceptance on all utilities. Really kills a true blood salesman.
Comment – 8 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased to see you found the amenities and benefits package desirable. I am sorry you felt you could have received a better training experience and would appreciate it if you could contact the People and Culture team directly to discuss this further so we can make improvement for future employees.
Your very own business, to work hours that suit you...saving people money on one low monthly bill as well as offering people to join as a partner to reap the huge benefits and incentives UW have to offer The compensation plan is phenomenal
  1. Employee reviews