Vets4Pets

Vets4Pets Employee Reviews

Lovely team to work with

Featured review

Vets4Pets selected this as a representative review
Great work life balance. Lovely finance team members.Project was busy and quite challenging but managers were very supportive.Not a long project.Fantastic annual leave and pension

26 March 2021
Reply from - Jason Marshall, Finance Director - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The last year has obviously been very challenging for so many of our colleagues and in so many different ways, so it’s great to hear that your experience is consistent with what we’re trying our very best to achieve. We do want our teams to feel challenged to enhance their own development, but we also know that the best results come with the corresponding support and that includes the ability to work flexibly and ensuring that there is time to focus on your own wellbeing. It’s also great to be part of a happy and engaged team who look out for each other of course. If you’d like to provide further feedback please email me us peopleservices@vets4pets.com.

The worse management I have ever meet, run away if you care about your mental health

My practice manager daily quote: oh you vets are so dramatic,always moan, get over it and work” when we was running like headless chickens and she was on tick Tock all day . Work life balance none. When I had a bad time going through depression,although I asked for help/time off, management ignored me, felt horrible.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, long weekends, poor management

1 November 2021
Reply from Lesley Holder, Area Relationship Manager: Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The key priority of our business is our commitment to not only customer service, but to also to our valued workforce. Taking care of colleagues is one of our core values, we’re always looking for ways to ensure our colleague have access to comprehensive support services in times of need and work hard to promote these so that colleagues can engage with them as required. We appreciate the pressures of a busy and challenging working environment and believe that we have implemented support to help with the potential impacts of this. We strive to provide an environment where colleagues feel they’re valued, treated fairly and respected. Our colleagues are openly and actively encouraged to seek help and support from the different options available, it is their choice to take up whichever support they feel meets their needs most. As a group we promote the availability of mental health first aiders for all colleagues to access support if and when it is required.

Best job i've ever had

I came to Vets4Pets after a 36 year career in a large multi-national bank.At Grimsby we have a great team, and a friendly atmosphere. Management is very approachable. I had to shield during lock down and the JVP was very supportive the whole time. Cannot recommend highly enough

Pros

free parking, good pension scheme and life cover

Cons

none I can think of

A very busy practice. The vets work well together. Sometimes can be too busy and tiring if working a long day. But JVPs very supportive, overtime is paid or time back for it. We always get lunch. CPD and career progression is encouraged. Good management although communication can sometimes be lacking. Culture is positive, everyone working as a team.

Pros

ok with flexible working

Cons

very busy

29 October 2021
Reply from Andrew MacLeod, Business Development Director - Thank you very much for posting your experience of working at Vets4Pets and I was really encouraged to read about the supportive environment you experienced, whilst recognising that there are always a few things that even the ‘best teams’ can do better. The Partners in the Norwich practices are superb examples of what being a caring JVP is all about and I suspect that all their teams would feel similarly positive (apart from perhaps at those times when it’s just a bit too busy!). Very grateful for your views…

Vets4Pets Worcester receptionist

I worked at vets4pets Worcester branch as a receptionist, the hours were long and you are expected to stay late without pay. Franchise owner has hired family members into positions of power which they are completely incapable of doing. Any excuse to overcharge pet owners taken with no financial compassion. Staff members disciplined if they missed a potential fee from an invoice. Franchise owner has been seen to shout at staff members across the pets at home store. Formal complaints were made to Vets4Pets HQ.The high turnover of staff should speak for itself really.

Pros

Learnt a lot, Made friends, saw lots of cute animals, pets at home staff are great!

Cons

Long hours, bad management, bad environment

Was very disappointed

Not enough training for the role and if you make mistakes - you are out.Understaffed and underpaid for the amount of work in the role, needs a dedicated person to answer the telephones alone.

Cons

Student veterinary nurse mixed review

Mixed review here. Most of my colleagues are lovely, supportive and I hope to stay in touch with them in the future. Head nurse's attitude and unprofessional approach is draining, gossiping about people behind there backs (when there within hearing distance) really changes the dynamic of the nursing team, the difference in other peoples attitude when she's not there is significant! Also her attitudes to nursing are old school, and new ideas are not welcome. I feel that up to date nursing really shouldn't be discouraged. JVP & head nurse very close so although others have approached these concerns they are not taken seriously. You are pushed to your limits and expected to be flexible to meet the businesses needs, be prepared to work over your contracted hours on a regular basis, shift patterns changing on a weekly basis and sometimes not knowing what shifts you are going to be working until 2 days before the following month.

Pros

Majority of team kind

Cons

Long hours, 30 minute unpaid break

1 September 2021
Reply from Gordon Dunn, People Director - Thank you for sharing your experience of working in one of our practices in Hampshire. I was pleased to hear that you have enjoyed working as part of a team and the team spirit in the practice. I would like the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised. Please can you call me on 07484 505002 to discuss further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Loved this job

The staff are so friendly and worked great as a team. Hours were great and worked around my childcare needs. Was sad to leave and would go back in a heartbeat.

Pros

Friendly team

16 August 2021
Reply from Kirsteen Atkinson, Regional People Partner - North: This is great feedback, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your positive experience with Vets4Pets. We are more aware then ever of the importance of Work/Life balance and how offering flexible working arrangements can help people, it’s great the Practice you were in supported you with this. Thanks again’

Fabulous place to work

Such a fabulous place to work, you can get involved with all aspects of the company. These are franchise businesses so the team want to make it work. Loved working here.

Pros

Too many cute animals

Cons

Too many cute animals

23 June 2021
Reply from: Clairwyn Richardson, Area Relationship Manager - Thank you for your comments, it’s great to read that you really enjoyed the opportunities available to team.

Avoid if you value your mental health

Management are bullies who enjoy picking on the small fry, other colleagues can be hit and miss because they’re always stressed about management. If you value your mental health, please avoid.

Pros

Puppy cuddles

8 June 2021
Reply from Gordon Dunn, People Director - I was concerned to read this review and thank you for sharing your insights. Please email me directly at Gordon.dunn@vets4pets.com to discuss this further.

Toxic, overwhelming, draining, money motivated.

Very toxic environment, salary based on how close you are to JVP, qualifications do not make a difference. Overworked and undervalued. Staff discount of 20% given to most JVP’s friends and family - no extra benefits. All treatment charged as full price (-20%). Days overbooked so usually no full lunch. JVP tells you what you want to hear rather than the truth, not trustworthy at all. A lot of issues brought up get swept under the carpet by the management as well as head office. Overall feels like head office is there for the employer than than the employee. Personal issues discussed with other team members. Constant messages, emails etc sent by JVP outside of working hours. How you get treated depends on your relationship with JVP. Mistakes get pointed out on group chats rather than face to face and you are threatened someone will have to lose their job as you are costing practice money. Letters of concern being thrown left right and centre so usual disciplinary steps can be skipped. On interview told it’s a “family” environment but no care is given to your mental or physical well-being. As long as money is made the JVP is happy. Many occasions the employer doesn’t back the employees, also overuses her power to make clients feel she is the vet and goes against what you say even though has no clinical qualifications.

Pros

Lovely team other than management, team work is amazing, head nurse is very supportive. Stayed so long because of the lovely nursing team.

Cons

Long hours, being underpaid, undervalued, unfairly treated.

25 May 2021
Dear Colleague, thank you for your feedback. Our practices are all very individual and we work hard in each one to try and create a positive working environment. I am sorry if you currently feel that is not your experience. Please do feel free to call me on 07825 596813 to discuss your concerns further so we can work together to resolve the concerns that you have.Ian Rose - Area Relationship Manager – Vets4Pets

Best thing is cuddles with the pets.

Minimum wage and long hours, the only thing that made it worth it was the interaction with the animals. Working a weekend and just being you on reception is ridiculous for the customers and the staff. Run as cheaply as possible.

Pros

Contact with the animals

Cons

Management/ head office

Pay low, judgmental manager, long hours

Management are judgemental and don't give you the support you need. You never get any appreciation or positive feedback you only ever get told what you are doing wrong. There are issues in the team including bullying. It's not a nice place to work. Pay is terrible, hours are long. Communication is terrible.

Pros

Pets at home discount, most of the team are nice

Cons

Long hours, terrible pay, bad communication, no support, judgment, no positive feedback or appreciation.

21 September 2021
Reply from Kevin Aylott, Area Relationship Manager - Thank you for your review I am sorry to read that you feel that management are judgement and don’t give support needed, at Croydon Companion Care regular formal reviews are completed on a one to one basis as well as JVP & Practice Manager being available if individuals have concerns outside of this process. This has enabled us to provide additional needed support for a number of colleagues. In terms of appreciation, we look to reward positive behaviour and results and have done so to certain colleagues very recently. If you believe you have witnessed bullying behaviour we would ask you to contact us directly with specifics so that we can investigate into this serious allegation, but at this stage we have not been made aware of anything further from anyone else.In terms of pay we believe we pay at or above market rate and complete regular reviews, we also believe we operate a reasonable length of shift to complete the tasks needed and have regular communication methods including team meetings to ensure that the whole team are aware of our successes and areas of focus.

Toxic environment, overworked miserable staff and backstabbing culture

This company is dependant on your individual JVP, personally I found there to be a heavy blame culture on a head office that has no say in order to treat staff poorly. The wages for staff tends to be based on who is closest to the management rather than experience and skill. Hours are set and great on paper however overtime is essential to keep up with the heavy workload, out of hours is covered elsewhere during the week meaning you get to relax in the evenings if you manage to leave on time however, social media platforms mean people will contact you at all hours making it difficult to physically switch off Progression is mixed as educational advancement in certificates and training is encouraged however it will do very little for your position on practice or salary

Pros

Schedule 3 procedures utilised, OOH cover on weekdays

Cons

Unreliable salary grading, toxic environment, blame culture, nurses stuck in old ways rather than evidence based medicine

5 March 2021
Reply from - Zoe Armes, Area Relationship Manager – Thank you for your feedback. Our practices are all very individual and we work hard in each one to try and create a positive working environment. I am sorry if you currently feel that is not your experience. Please do feel free to call me on 07484 932891 to discuss your concerns further so we can work together to resolve the concerns that you have.

Amazing team and lovely atmosphere

Having worked in the veterinary industry for 10 years I have worked in 3 branches of Vets4pets. I have always felt so supported in all three practices. I have worked in some practices prior and questioned my mental health and whether to stay in the veterinary field! At Vets4pets Scunthorpe we are like a little family and although I have been there since it opened staff turnover is incredibly low but any that have joined have always been welcomed and have stayed. I really couldn’t work anywhere else

Pros

Supportive team, good salary, clients, pets, CPD budget

9 March 2021
Reply from - Jenny Bosman, Vets4Pets - Thank you so much for such lovely positive feedback about our group and working in our practices. Its fantastic to hear how much you enjoy working at our practice in Scunthorpe. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Absolutely Awful and Toxic

Toxic work environmentBlame CultureManagement talks down to everyone and berate staff for everythingAppointments are not properly managedDatabase and OS are outdated and slowNo life/work balanceToo many responsabilities for minimum wage

Pros

Free Coffee and Tea. That's it.

Cons

Listed Above

Not a nice place to work

Not a nice place to work, no support from members of staff, made to feel stupid and was told that I hadn’t picked the job up quickly enough, I think in total I’d worked only 9 days.I couldn’t ask for help as I didn’t feel the staff were approachable. Felt nervous when I was there incase I did something wrong, it was not a nice branch and I’m pleased I got the chance to leave.

Pros

Meeting the animals

Cons

Co workers

10 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time working with us. I’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve, please send us an email to peopleservices@vets4pets.com Thank you. Angela, Area Relationship Manager.

Caring and supportive environment

I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Receptionist and Animal Care Assistant. Working with animals is enjoyable and they return the love and care you provide them with. You can get stepped on by large dogs, but you learn how to manoeuvre. Situations can be traumatic and stressful but that's life. If you're squeamish or over sensitive the emotional impact can be hard.

Pros

The animals

Cons

Aggressive, ignorant customers

Management are a bunch of bullies!

Absolutely awful place to work. Run by bullies who feel it is ok to treat their staff like absolute rubbish. The place is massively overworked and understaffed. Management have totally unrealistic expectations. Such a shame because clients are lovely.

Pros

Friendly clients

Cons

Bullies

25 January 2021
I am sorry to hear about your experience working for a Vets4pets practice. If you are willing, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns and would be grateful if you could please call 01367 820820, and ask for me directly. Thank you. - Suzie Fox, Area Relationship Manager.

Productive and enjoyable job

Love my job meeting people and animals. Really rewarding seeing them through their journey getting back to full health .The team that work in Stirling are funny, supportive and helpful. We all pull together from our Vets, Nurses and Customer Care Advisors to ensure a happy experience for every animal and their owner.

Pros

Good team

Cons

Sometimes atressful

Patronising/rude management. No appreciation or help

Although I really did enjoy the role in itself, the management team are a disgrace to the Veterinary sector. As a younger individual with no training or idea of how to work in a clinical or animal environment, I was constantly looked down on and patronised by head nurse and management overall. I used to enjoy going to work at first until I realised what I had let myself in for. I was afraid to ever ask for advice or help as I was giving the most sarcastic and spiteful responses as if I should automatically know what to do when they never even provided me with training. When I then went on to do something, if it was wrong I was spoken to like a piece of dirt. Students taken advantage of as they weren’t paid. Nurses constantly working hard with no appreciation (minus the head nurses). Reception team spoken to like trash. Majority of the vets (minus head vet) were the nicest people yet put through so much stress as they never had any help and were seriously over worked with no time to do anything and to make matters worse staff would be overheard consistently mocking and slating us behind our backs. Other team members would approach me and others and inform us that the management had said ‘this and this’ about us when we left the room. Constant false promises from management. I also was not the only one that felt this way as there is constantly new staff being brought in as everybody resigns within a short period. Everyone is always on edge and over run. Not a place for neither the weak or strong minded people as this place will seriously make you question your mental health. A -

Pros

Around animals all day, some lovely vets, breaks are good length

Cons

Long hours, never finish on time, paid wrong, cruel management, low pay compared to hours and obligations that have to be done during shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vets4Pets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement