Vets4Pets

Vets4Pets Employee Reviews

Such a fabulous place to work, you can get involved with all aspects of the company. These are franchise businesses so the team want to make it work. Loved working here.
Pros
Too many cute animals
Cons
Too many cute animals
Management are bullies who enjoy picking on the small fry, other colleagues can be hit and miss because they’re always stressed about management. If you value your mental health, please avoid.
Pros
Puppy cuddles
8 June 2021
Reply from Gordon Dunn, People Director - I was concerned to read this review and thank you for sharing your insights. Please email me directly at Gordon.dunn@vets4pets.com to discuss this further.
Very toxic environment, salary based on how close you are to JVP, qualifications do not make a difference. Overworked and undervalued. Staff discount of 20% given to most JVP’s friends and family - no extra benefits. All treatment charged as full price (-20%). Days overbooked so usually no full lunch. JVP tells you what you want to hear rather than the truth, not trustworthy at all. A lot of issues brought up get swept under the carpet by the management as well as head office. Overall feels like head office is there for the employer than than the employee. Personal issues discussed with other team members. Constant messages, emails etc sent by JVP outside of working hours. How you get treated depends on your relationship with JVP. Mistakes get pointed out on group chats rather than face to face and you are threatened someone will have to lose their job as you are costing practice money. Letters of concern being thrown left right and centre so usual disciplinary steps can be skipped. On interview told it’s a “family” environment but no care is given to your mental or physical well-being. As long as money is made the JVP is happy. Many occasions the employer doesn’t back the employees, also overuses her power to make clients feel she is the vet and goes against what you say even though has no clinical qualifications.
Pros
Lovely team other than management, team work is amazing, head nurse is very supportive. Stayed so long because of the lovely nursing team.
Cons
Long hours, being underpaid, undervalued, unfairly treated.
25 May 2021
Dear Colleague, thank you for your feedback. Our practices are all very individual and we work hard in each one to try and create a positive working environment. I am sorry if you currently feel that is not your experience. Please do feel free to call me on 07825 596813 to discuss your concerns further so we can work together to resolve the concerns that you have.Ian Rose - Area Relationship Manager – Vets4Pets
Minimum wage and long hours, the only thing that made it worth it was the interaction with the animals. Working a weekend and just being you on reception is ridiculous for the customers and the staff. Run as cheaply as possible.
Pros
Contact with the animals
Cons
Management/ head office
Great work life balance. Lovely finance team members.Project was busy and quite challenging but managers were very supportive.Not a long project.Fantastic annual leave and pension
26 March 2021
Reply from - Jason Marshall, Finance Director - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The last year has obviously been very challenging for so many of our colleagues and in so many different ways, so it’s great to hear that your experience is consistent with what we’re trying our very best to achieve. We do want our teams to feel challenged to enhance their own development, but we also know that the best results come with the corresponding support and that includes the ability to work flexibly and ensuring that there is time to focus on your own wellbeing. It’s also great to be part of a happy and engaged team who look out for each other of course. If you’d like to provide further feedback please email me us peopleservices@vets4pets.com.
Management are judgemental and don't give you the support you need. You never get any appreciation or positive feedback you only ever get told what you are doing wrong. There are issues in the team including bullying. It's not a nice place to work. Pay is terrible, hours are long. Communication is terrible.
Pros
Pets at home discount, most of the team are nice
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay, bad communication, no support, judgment, no positive feedback or appreciation.
This company is dependant on your individual JVP, personally I found there to be a heavy blame culture on a head office that has no say in order to treat staff poorly. The wages for staff tends to be based on who is closest to the management rather than experience and skill. Hours are set and great on paper however overtime is essential to keep up with the heavy workload, out of hours is covered elsewhere during the week meaning you get to relax in the evenings if you manage to leave on time however, social media platforms mean people will contact you at all hours making it difficult to physically switch off Progression is mixed as educational advancement in certificates and training is encouraged however it will do very little for your position on practice or salary
Pros
Schedule 3 procedures utilised, OOH cover on weekdays
Cons
Unreliable salary grading, toxic environment, blame culture, nurses stuck in old ways rather than evidence based medicine
5 March 2021
Reply from - Zoe Armes, Area Relationship Manager – Thank you for your feedback. Our practices are all very individual and we work hard in each one to try and create a positive working environment. I am sorry if you currently feel that is not your experience. Please do feel free to call me on 07484 932891 to discuss your concerns further so we can work together to resolve the concerns that you have.
Having worked in the veterinary industry for 10 years I have worked in 3 branches of Vets4pets. I have always felt so supported in all three practices. I have worked in some practices prior and questioned my mental health and whether to stay in the veterinary field! At Vets4pets Scunthorpe we are like a little family and although I have been there since it opened staff turnover is incredibly low but any that have joined have always been welcomed and have stayed. I really couldn’t work anywhere else
Pros
Supportive team, good salary, clients, pets, CPD budget
9 March 2021
Reply from - Jenny Bosman, Vets4Pets - Thank you so much for such lovely positive feedback about our group and working in our practices. Its fantastic to hear how much you enjoy working at our practice in Scunthorpe. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Toxic work environmentBlame CultureManagement talks down to everyone and berate staff for everythingAppointments are not properly managedDatabase and OS are outdated and slowNo life/work balanceToo many responsabilities for minimum wage
Pros
Free Coffee and Tea. That's it.
Cons
Listed Above
Not a nice place to work, no support from members of staff, made to feel stupid and was told that I hadn’t picked the job up quickly enough, I think in total I’d worked only 9 days.I couldn’t ask for help as I didn’t feel the staff were approachable. Felt nervous when I was there incase I did something wrong, it was not a nice branch and I’m pleased I got the chance to leave.
Pros
Meeting the animals
Cons
Co workers
10 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time working with us. I’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve, please send us an email to peopleservices@vets4pets.com Thank you. Angela, Area Relationship Manager.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a Receptionist and Animal Care Assistant. Working with animals is enjoyable and they return the love and care you provide them with. You can get stepped on by large dogs, but you learn how to manoeuvre. Situations can be traumatic and stressful but that's life. If you're squeamish or over sensitive the emotional impact can be hard.
Pros
The animals
Cons
Aggressive, ignorant customers
Absolutely awful place to work. Run by bullies who feel it is ok to treat their staff like absolute rubbish. The place is massively overworked and understaffed. Management have totally unrealistic expectations. Such a shame because clients are lovely.
Pros
Friendly clients
Cons
Bullies
25 January 2021
I am sorry to hear about your experience working for a Vets4pets practice. If you are willing, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns and would be grateful if you could please call 01367 820820, and ask for me directly. Thank you. - Suzie Fox, Area Relationship Manager.
Love my job meeting people and animals. Really rewarding seeing them through their journey getting back to full health .The team that work in Stirling are funny, supportive and helpful. We all pull together from our Vets, Nurses and Customer Care Advisors to ensure a happy experience for every animal and their owner.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Sometimes atressful
Although I really did enjoy the role in itself, the management team are a disgrace to the Veterinary sector. As a younger individual with no training or idea of how to work in a clinical or animal environment, I was constantly looked down on and patronised by head nurse and management overall. I used to enjoy going to work at first until I realised what I had let myself in for. I was afraid to ever ask for advice or help as I was giving the most sarcastic and spiteful responses as if I should automatically know what to do when they never even provided me with training. When I then went on to do something, if it was wrong I was spoken to like a piece of dirt. Students taken advantage of as they weren’t paid. Nurses constantly working hard with no appreciation (minus the head nurses). Reception team spoken to like trash. Majority of the vets (minus head vet) were the nicest people yet put through so much stress as they never had any help and were seriously over worked with no time to do anything and to make matters worse staff would be overheard consistently mocking and slating us behind our backs. Other team members would approach me and others and inform us that the management had said ‘this and this’ about us when we left the room. Constant false promises from management. I also was not the only one that felt this way as there is constantly new staff being brought in as everybody resigns within a short period. Everyone is always on edge and over run. Not a place for neither the weak or strong minded people as this place will seriously make you question your mental health. A - more...
Pros
Around animals all day, some lovely vets, breaks are good length
Cons
Long hours, never finish on time, paid wrong, cruel management, low pay compared to hours and obligations that have to be done during shift
Management is hard to deal with and sometimes hard to work alongside. The people are lovely and everyone works together very well most of the time. As a hard and sad job at times, I loved it and only left because of money.
Pros
Lots
Cons
A few - management
Very stressful dissatisfying corporate working environment. I've been working in numerous v4p practices and can tell it is very difficult to adapt in v4p culture, because everybody are talking behind your back some false stuff to your boss at the same time being all sweet and nice into your face. Support via weekly-monthly meetings where you are mainly critisiced - adds to overall disappointment in yourself and makes you not trust your colleagues, also reflects very poor management skills. Consults every 10-15 minutes which drives you crazy when patients need extra diagnostics/treatment. Working weekends always sole charge and very short on staff (because of this in many cases you can't provide patients with hospitalisation, even xrays or US or IVFT which makes you send them away to very expensive referral hospital) - being not helpful gives you a massive conflict with yourself and makes you feel useless. Very high staff turnover - always someone is leaving/newly hired in the team - I guess I wasn't the only one who couldn't find happiness there. "Reach the target" culture. Cruelly demanding from newly graduates. Clients are complaining and arguing over small stuff all the time because they feel that something isn't right about this company. At the same time it looks like they have no clue how bad v4p environemnt is for mental health. If you are particularly unlucky you could get all the worst things a job/colleagues/boss can give you.
Pros
Good CPD for nee grads, realised how lucky I am at my job outside vets4pets, don't recommend for new grads especially overseas
Cons
Talking behind your back culture, corporate, feeling useless, poor management, bussiness target orineted, fake culture makes it a miserable experience
Each branch is its own individual practice (if joint owned by a JVP - if they don’t have a JVP stay away as it will be a shambles!) Therefore it’s difficult to rate the company as a whole as my ratings would be 5/5 if referring to my JVP and my team, but more like 1-2/5 if referring to ‘support office’. Mostly they seem to exist to make everyone’s life difficult and of course to make money - tho to be fair, they are still probably one of the least controlling corporate vet outfits. Individual practices have a fair bit of freedom to choose which food and drug brands they want to sell and they don’t interfere with how you run your day BUT head office continually send out vouchers to clients without telling us what they’re for or why or if we even want to offer them. They also ignore most requests for changes or updates and are generally working from an entirely different business model than my JVP. They also change JVP contract details at a whim without consultation or care for the consequences. This is what happens when people who’ve never actually worked in a vet practice are steering the ship. Worth interviewing at individual practices however if you can meet the JVP and the team, since if you’re a good fit you can work together to make the practice your own and have a great time.
Pros
Clinical freedom
Cons
Interfering, unhelpful head office.
Horrendous place to work! Management are a joke and complete bullies. Regulations are terrible and quality of care is even worse. Patients are not cared for or treated in the manner they should be. I do not recommend Vets4pets Crewe at all and I defintly would NOT have my animals treated by them!
Pros
Non!
Cons
To many to mention
Please avoid this clinic, it will tear you apart. It broke my self esteem, my standards and my mental health. Been lied to, shouted at, not supported clinically, bullied, overworked so many times. Head office can't and won't do anything to help you, as it's a franchise and they have no real power. The manager there has all the power and she abuses it all the time.The hygiene is disgusting, tried many times to implement standards but the owners did not like high standards due to money loss! No real help, I was pushed into the deep end from the start. They would hire anyone, on any level, and expect the world from you. I cried so many times at home because of the treatment I got. Management only cares about money.Usually a multi vet work place, but often left alone, overworked, shouted at, mood swings, no real lunch break and terrible treatment from management.. Please avoid if you have a trace of respect for yourself or any mental health issues!
Pros
No work email access from home, not much overtime, usually friendly staff
Cons
Bullying, bad hygiene, bad management, guilt mentality, not changing, money oriented practice, no morals. Overworked, underpaid and most of all treated horribly.
Comment – 27 August 2020
Reply from From Simon Jackson, Area Relationship Manager, Vets4Pets: I am very disappointed to hear that this was your experience working for a Vets4Pets practice. If you are willing, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns and would be grateful if you could please call 01367 820820, and ask for me directly. Thank you.
What a mediocre place to work for. No one stays and the owner refuses to understand he is the one that needs to change. Controls vets through nurses, interrupts consults and embarrasses you in front of the clients and thinks he is the only one’s medical opinion that matters. If I can reach to you on time, don’t ever take a job here or in Tunbridge Wells. You’re welcome.
Comment – 10 July 2020
Reply from Emma Blackman, Area Relationship Manager, Vets4PetsI was very sorry to hear of your experience whilst working for a Vets4Pets practice and that you chose to raise your concerns anonymously through social media. Our culture is one of open and honest conversation so we always prefer to deal with issues as they arise through our internal channels. We do take all feedback very seriously, and if you are willing, I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your experiences so we can fix things for the future. If you could contact the Support Office on 01367 820820, and ask for me directly, I would be most grateful.
Great place to work. Very busy, fast pace and lots of multitasking. Need to be flexible with overtime. Must be able to work as a team. Deal with complaints and defuse them.
  1. Employee reviews