Virgin Active
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Virgin Active Employee Reviews

Could be a nice place to work if the staff were paid appropriately. Unfortunately the pay is extremely poor. There is a feeling of no security witjin the job and career progression is difficult. There is also a high turnover of staff as a result of poor pay.
Pros
Good for networking
Cons
Very poor pay structure
Management do not care about customer safety, will treat you poorly if you don't brown nose them. They put you on a low contract hours with promise of increased been there over a year and told I'm not allowed a contract increase even tho I work 40 hours a week this is so they don't have to give us holiday. I work 5 days a week to get 4 days holiday its q horrific place to work avoid unless you have no other option
Cons
I worked in an Essex club for over 10 years and always worked extra hard to build and maintain my client base whilst other trainers just befriended people in Sales or PT management in order to get client referrals. There was a lack of professionalism and fairness which made it a very frustrating environment to work in. I only stayed so long because of my lovely clients.
Pros
Up to date equipment
Cons
Bullying
Really enjoyed working at Virginia active. All the employees are very friendly, helpful and there is a good culture within the business from management down to engineers. Recommend anyone to work there .
Pros
Workout and swim
Cons
Fast paced environment
I loved working for Virgin Active. We became family. The team and management were all supportive and engaging. My confidence grew immensely and I was excited to go to work and get involved in all the activities. Only down side was the pay was not great for the hours worked. But to gain experience and get your foot in the market, well worth it.
Pros
Fun, family environment, great experience, courses and support.
Cons
Long hours, pay not great.
The overall job is what is expected and then some. Your job roll will never be as stated on the description and your treated like the help by management... awful. They do not really care about their employees just want the most out of you for minimum wage. With no regards to your life outside work. The in house management is like playing a game of chess so much back stabbing and completely unfair to working mums and Women... never again!
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Never leave on time, hard to trust or colleagues as everyone is out for themselves. Pay didn’t fit the job roll
VA is a great pace for a newly qualified PT to gain valuable experience training clients however the expectations to give a lot of unpaid time generating new leads is high, which often feels like it is for the benefit of the company rather than the trainer. Pay per session is relatively low, especially if you don’t meet the required delivery hours to get higher levels of pay each month.However there is a lot of learning to be had and if you can sell yourself well then it can work for you. Starting out, it can be a great option as there is no need to have rent money for working there.
Pros
Flexible working hours, valuable experience
Cons
Unpaid lead generation and high pressure to meet targets
I enjoyed working there. Everyone was very supportive and kind. I got alot of support from my Operations manager at the time. The location of the centre was good (close to alot of restaurants and shops) and the centre is very beautiful. Their training modules were fun and not boring like most companies I've worked for.
Pros
Cafe in the centre and good looking uniforms
Cons
Apart from the back stabbing, cut throat sales environment it was a lovely place to work. Be prepared for dog eat dog among your sales reps. Management was excellent and most staff friendly.
Pros
use of the gym equipment
Cons
Sales force can be selfish
I worked here as the senior maintenance manager, I loved the job and most of the employees. I was fired as I ‘failed my probation’!! I had a cerebral anurism out of work one weekend and died twice to leave hospital in the middle of the COVID melt down and then my wife asked me for a divorce I received no support what so ever and because I was not moving at a speed the manager wanted he’s used the easy get out sack him on his probation and the fact they would save £30k odd each year especially in COVID meltdown there all about saving money but don’t want to invest any in order for you to do the maintenance! As I said I died twice got all clear from occupational health todo with Virgin I was already able to return to work two weeks prior but the messed about that much I lost out on pay, your birthday off don’t make me laugh apparently one of bransons wishes I spent the whole day of my birthday running up and 4x to the club and to another building they pawned off in me to look after! No extra pay for that btw I spent nearly a whole day in that building and didn’t get so much as a thanks just the alarm is going off again!! The company is good and most staff is good and the pay is ok it’s the management that lets it down with a power tripping boss who talks to people like cr*p and dousnt even look at you when talking to you I love how managers thinks everything is a ten minute job!! I loved how I was classed as unorganised yet solved more issues when I was there then they did in the last 7 years! I would really like to sit down with someone from virgin and reel off all the problems - more...
Lots of changes often for no reason and never thought through. Employees are not cared for especially as Covid happened. No transparency regarding Covid cases in clubs.
This job was a fast-paced job which kept you nicely busy. Gained Costa qualification and learnt the importance of inventory counts. It's a fun place to work at within own and other departments.
Very diverse work in a great location with great benefits. Steady workload. Plenty of support. Very fair management. Able to carve your career and reviews are taken seriously.
Pros
People and Teams A working family.
Cons
No cons
Good place to work. High culture of work. Nice people, relaxing atmosphere. Clear information about my work duties. In this difficult time I am well informed about the situation
Pros
Free gym pass
Cons
16 hours contract
working here was okay but not very enjoyable or stimulating - I would not recommend this job to anyone who is not comfortable with doing mainly nothing for hours on end
They do not protect or care about their staff and it is impossible to be a happy. Management get no support and burn out quickly they can work 60+ hours a week with no training. Staff who aren't in a managment role are dismissed easily and take the brunt of under trained and under appricated managers. After 10 years of working for VA i would not recommend this company if you want to be happy in your workplace. Be prepared to be over worked and underpiad.
Pros
free buddy membership
Cons
everything else
My overall experience was great, I really enjoyed working there. I disliked the lack of opportunity I was given to change my job position within the company for exactly what I preferred to be occupied in.
Pros
Free Membership, Opportunity to meet people
Cons
the hypocrisy of my line manager, he did not want to recommend me for being promoted for another job position, after I have had a successful full year of experience as a FMC.
Ok place to with , management changed a lot during my time here , staff are pretty good people , needs money spent on the place generally. Wages were always an Issue as had us on a tire system which means when you start it's low pay.
I worked here for 20 years and gained tons of knowledge as a manager and the people are fun to work with. Expectations are high, but it’s a challenge which I like.
Working at Virgin active had a fun, bubbly environment and the team really made our time their worth while as every one got along so well and we worked together as a team. It is a fast paced environment and every day was sure a new day at Walbrooks Virgin active.
All of the staff are fantastic & work well together. It can be challenging during busy times, however everyone pulls together well. The best part of the job is working with great colleagues & the opportunity to build a rapport with the customers (who are also great). The staff at Virgin Active's central office are also very supportive & there are a lot of training opportunities within the company. Overall I highly recommend Virgin Active as an employer!
  1. Employee reviews