Virgin Active

United Kingdom481 reviews

Found 481 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,143 reviews

Fun workplace

Featured review

Virgin Active selected this as a representative review
Really enjoyed working at Virginia active. All the employees are very friendly, helpful and there is a good culture within the business from management down to engineers. Recommend anyone to work there .

Pros

Workout and swim

Cons

Fast paced environment

Confusing working environment

It's a great place at first then after your first two weeks you know how bad it is more so when it comes to management the GM is like jackal and hide and all other managers come and go within the first six months.

Insights into Virgin Active

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

terrible experience as an intructor at virgin active chelmsford

Managers are bullies and look down on employees, they think they are far superior in comparision to other stuff. I am so glad I have other work too so I wont be ever seeing any of them again

Very low pay

If you pay the front of house staff then you will get clients other then that terrible company , zero hours so flexible but no future here , Big Company but zero respect.

Fun workplace

Friendly and fun place to work, lots of training and progressive possibilities. Customers and colleagues great to be around. Sometimes shift hours could be awkward.

okay place to work benefits were good

okay place to work benefits were good, the company decided to streamline and aim to offer more high end club so closed down and made half of the staff redundant

Pros

discounts and free gym membership for you and a friend

It’s not bad place to work.

The staff, managers and facilities are quite good. Some of the classes are quite big, however, the management team tries to shorten them accurately…..

Pros

Supportive colleagues, free membership

Cons

Freaking bad payroll system. Missing hours at the timesheet.

One big professional family

Working at Virgin Active brings opportunities for honing your own skills; chatting to and building rapports with customers; and a welcoming team environment.

Pros

Free membership to the club

Cons

Can feel strict

Productive and fun place to work

I started working with Virgin Active in 2009. Started as cleaner and now working as operations manager. Management in all level is really helpful and

Pros

Good training structure Support from managers Pay

Relaxed, good gym

Serving customers, talking to guests. Cleaning, food preparation. Management took themselves extremely seriously at times, and often belittled colleages.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Long day

Competitive atmosphere, big PT team

Good team, new equipment. But you can have a good rate if you are doing PT target (25+ Session per week for 3 months). Don’t have any shirts and guaranteed pay.

Pros

Free gym

Cons

Salary mistakes

Worst place to work for.

In the interview the managers will tell you that you are going to be paid for anything you do (inductions, PT sessions, reboots, classes etc.). When in fact you’ll get underpaid and get paid only tor 4 PT sessions when you have 4 clients for 2 sessions a week. Plus they expect you to spend your whole time there for free. You can’t even check if you have any bookings when you’re at home, and they never tell you when they book you in for an induction or anything. You’re expected to have 20 clients by the end of your probation, and for me personally it’s about the quality of service, rather than the quantity. Personal trainers and other staff comes and goes in this company. You’re promised a lot, but you end up getting none of it.

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Poor management, no structure, you’re expected to meet your targets without any support

Don’t bother

Will always do more than you job and work more hours than expected staff not appreciated and always a issue with staffing and people being paid correctly on pay day always looking for new staff and a high staff turnover

Pros

Free membership and buddy membership

Cons

No staff

Fast paced environment & poor structure

I started working in Virgin Active several months ago. I heard from people working here bad reviews regarding my role and the lifeguard team to manage: the most difficult department.Under staff in my department and in others. Consistently in emergency and stressful situations due to lack of staff and workload. When on duty during unsociable hours, weekends or bank holidays, I have to cover several roles at the same time. Good company to work I hope for career progression.

Pros

Free membership and discount

Cons

Long hours, unsociable hours, workload

Relaxed and professional

At the club I work for the management is brilliant and help you work around your hours , they also train you extremely well and prepare you for the job situation you fill out. The team are so friendly at my club and it makes working less repetitive

Pros

Relaxed, gym memberships, family feeling

Cons

Job is repetitive in nature

Virgin Active Strand

VA has a tier system in place for there PTs so if your a good sales person you are considered a better PT. We have to market ourselves there is no compensation. Now since the pandemic it’s become even worse the cooperate bosses expect high numbers with low gym volume. VA does not care about the quality of a session but more of the quick turnaround. If you are a serious trainer I would not even look twice at VA as an employer especially in the Strand weight equipment is much lacking the bench press is a joke literally.

Unappreciated

No manager cared if you went above and beyond in any role. All the staff members gossiped behind your back. Unsupportive in anything, they pretend to care but they would disclose your personal life to other members of staff. You have to be best buds with the manager to get a slight chance of promotion. They have double standards, and when you comment on the issue, it’s ignored.

Pros

Cons

Everthing

Great for Student Work

Part time is all you need as a lifeguard otherwise it's mind numbing work. Great facilties, location and staff. Management can be a bit of a boys club. If you ask there is opportunity to move departments. They will expect you to drop any free time to help them out which isn't always recognised.

Pros

Free membership + buddy membership

Cons

Management can be a bit of a boys club

Official response from Virgin Active

11 August 2021
Hi there, Thanks for spending the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear that the Lifeguard role worked around your studies, and that you had a good experience of other team members when you were with us. I am disappointed to hear that you felt you weren't recognized for additional help. We are currently working on a team member recognition project, particularly after the hard work and commitment our team members have given us over this difficult pandemic year. Best wishes, and best of luck with your studies,Emma

Vile and degrading

Management do not care about customer safety, will treat you poorly if you don't brown nose them. They put you on a low contract hours with promise of increased been there over a year and told I'm not allowed a contract increase even tho I work 40 hours a week this is so they don't have to give us holiday. I work 5 days a week to get 4 days holiday its q horrific place to work avoid unless you have no other option

Official response from Virgin Active

11 August 2021
Hi there,Thank you for spending your time on leaving a review for us. I am disappointed to hear of the issues you are having with your contracted hours, and have sent a copy of this to one of our People Partners who will investigate this straight away. Please could you contact peopleoperations@virginactive.co.uk so we can get some further information from you, with a view to getting this resolved as soon as possible. Best wishesEmma

Poorly paid as a personal trainer, nice staff and friendly environment but not good for longterm career

Could be a nice place to work if the staff were paid appropriately. Unfortunately the pay is extremely poor. There is a feeling of no security witjin the job and career progression is difficult. There is also a high turnover of staff as a result of poor pay.

Pros

Good for networking

Cons

Very poor pay structure

Lack of professionalism, favouritism & bullying

I worked in an Essex club for over 10 years and always worked extra hard to build and maintain my client base whilst other trainers just befriended people in Sales or PT management in order to get client referrals. There was a lack of professionalism and fairness which made it a very frustrating environment to work in. I only stayed so long because of my lovely clients.

Pros

Up to date equipment

Cons

Bullying

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Virgin Active. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Virgin Active with

• Virgin Active
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?