Vita Student

Vita Student Employee Reviews

I would only recommend working for this company if you have no family, friends, children or a social life.The amount of work you are expected to do for one person is beyond unrealistic.The management only like yes people who are basically super human. I must say the team I worked with were fantastic, but your all in the same boat, stressed and overworked by management.If you do not agree to the work load or days you work, you will be made to feel like your being bullied into a corner until you do. They offer you all these fantastic schemes or ways of progression but it never happens!You can go above and beyond for this company but you do not get any recognition from those you should.This company did nothing to help me feel less anxious than I already did. I had no option but to seek other employment. I would recommend not applying for any roles within this company, do not be fooled by the hourly pay.
Pros
Excellent team
Cons
All of the above and more
Worked at Vita on a zero hour contract for 5 months and I loved every minute there. I couldn’t fault anything. The management are great and so supporting, they really take an interest in you and care. There were always shifts each week with good flexibility and the management work well with you on what shifts you can and can’t work. The housekeeping team are so friendly and welcoming, even when your working between the two buildings. I would highly recommend working here, I’ll be sad to go and if it came working here again then I definitely would.
Pros
Friendly and supporting
Cons
I was a 'Night Officer' but it was basically a night cleaner with a fancy name. They don't mention the cleaning part in the interview, they sell you a dream job with £10/hour, eg "You'll be interacting with students, sitting in reception putting out breakfasts etc. They give you a very low contract eg something like 16 or 22 but expect you to be fully flexible 7 days a week 24/7. When you try asking for fixed days they refuse, like how does a person live on 16-22hrs a week when they have responsibility, this job is designed for students who want something part time and don't mind being a cleaner.They're number one problem is communication, they never communicate, the communication is so terrible no night officer never know whats going on or how to do certain things then they try tell you off or blame you for things when its management fault.They make you clean the whole building pretty much, hub area where students chill and study, all kitchens, cinema areas, toilets, office/reception desk (after managers or day staff leave it as a mess), all lifts and lift buttons on each floor, bin store, bins inside and out, students rooms, painting and expect you to look after the building at the same time to be vigilant.When they made me clean bins inside and out, the managers made it out like it was a 'Night Offer' job and we had to do it, same with cleaning room because housekeepers weren't in because of pandemic they were on furlough and all student study areas and kitchens were closed they made it seem like it was okay to clean a room and become a housekeeper. Even though you - more...
Pros
Paid full shift including breaks
Cons
Too many cons to list
Worked for Vita thinking I would be undertaking security work as mentioned in their job description however during the interview I was told there would be cleaning but due to desperation I took it. They work you like a donkey basically making you do the work that the day shift staff didn’t complete or just downright couldn’t be bothered to do. You like work which makes getting every task done in one night very narrow. The management were nice enough people but if I’m honest I wouldn’t recommend working here unless it’s temporary.
Pros
Shifts were easy to get.
Cons
Work overload.
Least friendly halls I've ever worked in. The upper management couldn't care less, they run the place to make the most money possible and don't care about their staff/students. This is definitely not a good place for first years/new students in York as it is very segregated and lacks any community spirit. I felt bad having to patronise the students and hit them over the head (figuratively) with huge amounts of rules mostly designed to make their time at this lacklustre halls difficult.
Pros
Cons
Terrible culture and work environment
It is a great company to work for. Everyone is working hard and passionate about what they are doing. Everyone works as a team to help each other and solve problems together. Managers are open to questions and advice. Great environment. Positive and encouraging.
Pros
You can learn from your team and other team members, as everyone is helping each other.
Cons
Sometimes you may need to work overtime, but it is good as the business is growing
Really enjoyed working at Vita in Bristol. Great team and residents are lovely! People that work there have all worked there a long time and are really nice
Pros
Allowed to make your own priorities, speaking to residents
Cons
working at night!
Loved working at Vita Student Only left as I graduated Uni and got a full time job It is fast paced and every day is different but it is a great company to work for and the people you work with are very supportive. Management lead from the front and are always there to help with any situation if required.
Expect to work 12 hour days constantly The management at high level tell you it’s all about team and customer service but in reality it’s about how much you can fleece from the students! Take this on if it’s your last resort, be warned.
I started at Vita York in November, and since then it's been a whirlwind. It can frequently get very busy, and sometimes you don't have a chance to sit down. Don't let that put you off! If you are hard working, willing to be honest and communicative with managers, and try to work well with others, then this is an incredibly good place to work. I can say I definitely feel like I'm earning my money! The manager themselves are incredible. Dedicated, warm and friendly, as managers should be. I never feel frightened of being honest with them, and it drives me to work hard so I don't let them down, or myself, for that matter. Don't get me wrong, the site is massive (and very beautiful), and there's a lot to be done on a daily basis. But if you put your mind to it, and are willing to learn from those around you, then you are sure to fit in well here. I love this job. Probably the best one I've ever had. (Just understand that it's intensive, sometimes).
Done 3 months during the summer turnaround. I was doing everything without any help, long hours, no support from senior management, pay not very good either. Terrible company to work for. Only care about reviews. Glad I left
Pros
Cons
See above
The opportunity for earning is there, it’s just kept behind very difficult targets! Management is questionable at best with some interesting methods on how they conduct themselves and treat their staff Other members of staff are fantastic and have a great attitude towards pulling together as a team as well as individually, but have to motivate each other outside of the demoralising stance of management
I've been working here for almost 1 year and it's been a challenge and a learning curve. Colleagues and student are nice and the environment is really good. Building is new even though it has quite lots of problem. The rate of pay is appropriate. However, there is always so much to do and we are always short in staff. Sometimes they don't hire enough people because they want to make more money using less resources. This lead to over-stress and pressure on people that usually work there full-time. They always have to ask you to do overtime otherwise things do not get done. There are no departments and all the staff need to do everything. If you are supposed to work at the reception, you also have to clean toilets, mop and hoover, clean stairs and deep clean kitchen and bin store, as well as being prepared to run for fire emergencies and help students in their rooms as soon as they call you. Collect and deliver parcels and also try to fix technical issues, cooking for events and so on. Basically during your shift you need to do EVERYTHING and you have no support nor help. You are asked to work alone for 12 hour shift even though they could just give less hours to more people so that everybody is happier and more productive. When someone calls in sick, there is no cover and most of the time they force you to come anyway, saying things that make you feel guilty like "I've already worked 56 hours this week", even though being sick is one of your rights. There is no work-life balance at all. Managers will keep texting you even when you are not at work just to send you lists of - more...
I really love working at vita I felt at home straight away chelsea and jess are so welcoming and go out of there way to help you with any queries or requests you have. I actually look forward to going to work lovely team.
Long hours with ZERO days off. High staff turnovers, rude and lazy management staff that will get you to do everything including their job and low pay.
Last year 1 week before Christmas I was made redundant from this job. The cleaning job paid £9 and you where extremely isolated. You spent your entire shift alone. In silence, with nobody else to talk too. You weren’t aloud music either. The job was extremely physical. Walking across 4 acres and up 6 flights of stairs, hundreds of times a day. Doing this while carrying 2 buckets full of products and cloths. You also had 2 moo buckets and a Hoover. You got a 30 minute break and had to leave the site to smoke. Very lovely t
Worked for two days management Has no clue how to manage Very rude saying I'm the boss your only a cleaner I promptly left . I would never work for someone again that treats there staff the way he did.
Pros
Cons
Bad mannered management
Treated all staff like dogs, apart from the lazy ones. The very few. They have 5 star ideas and 1 star budget. Managers are clueless and lazy. Do not work for this company. Long hours, summer turnaround is a nightmare.
Please don't let the pay attract you to this job. That is literally the only positive about working for VITA and they almost rely on that keeping staff. Expected to to work far above contracted hours. Head office care about their sites in Manchester but are woefully ignorant to other sites. Disorganised. Lacking communication unless it's a pet project. Students pay a lot and expect better value for their money. It is a business however there is lone between profit and service, the former being more important to VITA. If they wish to change conditions of contracts they change job titles to get away with it.
Worst job I have ever had. No recognition for hard work. If your face doesn’t fit they will find any excuse to terminate your contract. Contracted hours 22 and done 60 hours a week because of how short staff they are. They will promise you you will be holding events and doing a lot of stuff with vita but realistically they hold an event and the night staff just have to clean up everything after the day Staff. I would strongly not recommend to go for this job. Because you won’t be there a year from now
In the induction the management act like they are some positive happy people and vita is all about “family and helping one and other” first day they throw you in with NO and I repeat NO training. So when you do a mistake they strike you down with a recorded warning. A colleague got jumped by 3 students whilst being on shift on his own at night time and he got sacked for that. After you seen clearly on footage that he didn’t start nor hit any of them back. I done over 200 hours every month because of short staffed after being on a 22 hour contract and didn’t get any thank you. Turn over is very high and wouldn’t be surprised if you got sacked after 2 months. Management changes hours on rota cloud without informing you and then expecting you to do them shifts. No recognition for hard work as I was a 22 hour contract worker doing over 200 hours a month. Managers will look for the littlest dust in the room and say “you’ve missed a spot” and make you stay. Met a lot of amazing residents and learnt a lot of cultures but vita as a whole.
  1. Employee reviews