Volvo Group

United Kingdom117 reviews

Found 117 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,708 reviews
progressioncartrainingsupportteamlongfriendlyservice

Learned a lot

Training provided by specific college and on the job , overall I learnt a lot on volvo trucks and picked up a lot of knowledge from other fully qualified colleagues

Good place to work if your face fits

The machine shop got treated the worst in the place, welders and maintenance got let away with murder, the assembly line get whatever they want. They're trying to phase out the machine shop a lot of work being sub contracted. Boss seem to think if you aren't on his shift you aren't doing your work.

Insights into Volvo Group

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job

On the whole a great company to work on, pretty good relaxed and down to earth attitude across the board. Im am forever getting emails about offers, schemes and just general stuff that Volvo can do for their employees like cycle to work and car deals. So I’m sure if you are that way inclined you will find loads of benefits. The only downside is I think for such a large company the pay is a little low but I don’t think that it is much less than anyone else in the industry at the moment.

Excellent company and staff

Absolutely brilliant company to work for, valued as a person and looked after very well, training is phenomenal, probably the most experienced garage on marsh Barton

maintenance

was started for a minimum 3 weeks, was there 11.5 years, this was a great place to work not just for the workforce that was there but surrounding businesses'

Pros

canteen was subsidised

Cons

was closing and moving to Poland

Gravy train

Not much to say about North and Scotland without feeling queasy.Terrible pay, hours are dreadful and generally the staff are all unhappy and don’t want to be there!Whilst the obsolete clueless managers all reap the rewards with massive salaries and bonuses, avoid working for this group as it’s a toxic horrible atmosphere.

Pros

Cons

Shifts are terrible and pay is a joke.

Concentration camp

Terrible place to work, false promises of opportunities to move up within the company. You have to be a real lick or else have family in high up places to get anywhere within Volvo. The guys that actually make the company money are treated with total contempt and aren’t appreciated at all. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work here! Volvo as a corporation are a very greedy company, they take take take but don’t give any benefits in return. The chickens are coming home to roost now as everyone I know is abandoning the ship and moving to greener pastures.I don’t know why Volvo have a team of HR representatives within the company as they aren’t doing their job very well, I left, didn’t get a phone call to instruct me what happens with the process. I also never received an exit interview, you would think a blue chip (so called) company would want to find out why there is a mass exodus from the depot, or maybe they don’t have the courtesy to phone the employee!Once again I would stress to anyone, never work for this company as they will suck the life from your body and will take advantage of any good nature to gain maximum profits!

Pros

Cons

Terrible shift pattern and terrible management.

Best place to work - But don't stay too long

No progression unless your face fits, some members have been here for 20 years or more which is good for them but prevents others from progressing. Can get training but you need to be in for the long haul or do a few years and move on. Day to day tends to be very similar which helps with stress etc but not with variety.New MD every four years and very frequent re-orgs. Lost a few people over the last few years without replacements so the work is shared out. You wont be idle.You will get plenty of support from IT, tend to invest there but still have problems.Nice office, small gym, restaurant and coffee bar, good parking. Office hours are good. Good holiday entitlement which increases over time.Pension, sick days etc

Pros

Good office, nice co-workers, facilities good, management have nice cars, wealthy company

Cons

Poor prospects, lack of training

Was a good job and they not on yer back, do yer bit no one bothers you. Decent lads to work with and the gaffers are sound as well. The jobs not bad for welders more or less production welding but your not stuck on same job all time. They change you jobs almost daily. Good on health and safety get you any ppe you need. The pay could be better but pays more than a lot of places around here. Anyone looking for work I would recommend it decent place to work and I’ve been all over place contracting.

Pros

Decent job, good conditions, good equipment, and it’s a quick day

Cons

Can get a bit hot in welding hall when they have heaters on

Parochial, old British management. Difficult to advance. Changes t’s & c’s without discussion.

Set management group. No advancement into senior positions unless someone dies or retires. Lot of politics. Some nepotism. States they follow “The Volvo Way” but only when suits. No Swedish culture here typical old school British management warts and all.

Pros

Free drinks, subsidised canteen, opportunity to travel and work in Sweden.

Cons

If your face doesn’t fit your out. Difficult to move up management. Secretive advancement process

Decent place to work, if you like working in automotive industry

All dealerships are run as they are but for the one, I work at they know how to do a job to load the hours in the board to get enough work in to ensure everyone gets their bonuses. Management is good always going beyond their requirements to support their staff. There is an overall level of stress to complete everything fast as possible while making as much money as can be, which can be fanatic at times and hard to deal with.

Pros

Monthly bonuses, on site parking.

Cons

Stressful environment, normal working past your required hours.

I give them 100 !!

Was the most amazing job in my position being travel between Uk and France and Belgium! Any way in my last 3years and 7 months working with them I can say the best time of my life ! Thx Volvo ❤️👍🏻✊

Productive and fan workplace

Fantastic place to work, sadly I had a temp position, so had to leave after 5 month, had a very good training, managers and team are being so friendly and supportive, I would like to come back.

Pros

good team and managers

Cons

temp job

Great training

I just started the training at Volvo and I am satisfied with the COVID measures they took to enable face to face training. I was welcome with a KIT containing soft Volvo masks which are comfortable to wear, hand disinfectant and wipes. The training is being held in a big conference room with only me and the trainer, there is an IN-OUT circuit and lot's of disinfectant everywhere. The desks are apart from each other and there are signs to flag if the desks have been used by somebody else before so you won't sit. They also provided own keyboard and mouse.

Home based

Home based with self appointed tasks appointed on a daily basis with an umbrella of the role. Supporting stakeholders and colleagues to achieve goals, setting targets and changing behaviours is a daily task

Pros

Flexible and easy to prioritise work

Cons

Covid lockdown reduces inetraction

Vfs

Used by many as a short term CV boost. The young talent generally move on due to lack of advancement and poor salary. Those who stay remain in the same roles for 5+ years. Generally poor lower level management, and approachable upper management. Friendly office environment if you get involved. Good onsite facilities including cafeteria, gym, meeting rooms, and easy parking. Poor communication between departments.Working times of 8.30am - 4.30pm were good to miss what is a very busy road at the heights of rush hours.Didn’t have too much trouble getting holiday or appointments off.Generally have to be in the right place at the right time to meaningfully advance. Their answer is to move sideways for which there are many opportunities in the adjacent divisions.In summary, good as a stop gap, poor if you want more for yourself.

Pros

Onsite facilities.

Cons

Poor salary and progression.

A pleasureable time in my working career

I worked for Volvo and found the best experience very rewarding. I travelled the country collecting and delivering prestigious vehicles. I worked with interesting and efficient people. Overall it was an enjoyable time of my life.

Pros

Easy going

Cons

Don’t know of any

Good company to work for

Good people and environment. Their is pressure but you were left to get on by yourself. Provided good training opportunity's and the facilities were first class. Overall Volvo Bus was a very good place to work. I only left as i had at the time an offer to return to a more convenient place to work.

a great relaxed place to work

Loved working at volvo, I really thought this was it, i can spend the rest of my working days here. But that did not happen, covid-19 :-( was a fun place to work at. All team members were very easy to get along with & friendly.

Excellent company

A varied & interesting job with excellent training & potential for advancing. Both field & workshop based with excellent support network & excellent training when required or asked for.

Pros

Varied interesting work.

Good company to work for

Good company to work for with good benefits. Friendly people. Happy environment. Great management support. Equal opportunities. Great place to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volvo Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Volvo Group with

• Volvo Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?