Vue Cinemas logo
Vue Cinemas

Vue Cinemas Employee Reviews

Fun place to work

Sometimes quiet, sometimes really busy and stressful. Working with amazing people and a lot of students which was nice. Because the cinema industry runs such tight margins your pay is minimum but the people made up for this and the management staff were good to work with. Site manager obviously felt they owned the cinema which i feel is the best way to run a site, taking ownership of it and actually caring which was nice to see. 0 hours contract, inconsistent shift patterns, an offer for a stable, better paid job were the reasons I left.

Good benefits, bad pay

The only good thing about working for Vue is the 40% discount and free films. The pay is dire, people have hardly any hours yet management are still continuing to hire people and there is no room for progression within the company. You’re expected to do strenuous work for minimum wage.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Rubbish pay and hardly any hours

Amazing place to work but the way you get paid could be better.

I started working half way through a month and won't get paid until the end of the month after. However, I'll only get paid for a month regardless because half way through the month is the cut off point. Instead of getting paid the month and a half I worked, I'll only get a month pay every time.

Pros

Great managers and staff, fun environment, good hours, different each time

Cons

Pay rota

Great staff

Helpful friendly staff. Great training, lovely management team. Can’t fault it, just not enough hours. Holidays always accepted and very well organised company to work for.

Pros

Swap shifts

Cons

Not enough staff to help clean the screens with all new COVID procedures

Not worth it

Benefits are okay you get 40-50% discount on concessions and free unlimited tickets plus 3 for friends and family each week. Be warned this job will give you no social life as your rota will go up mere days before your next shift so impossible to have any sort of social like and make any plans outside of work. Speaking of shifts this is basically a zero hours contract job so your shifts will change from week to week, for example one week you could have 4-5 9 hour shifts and the next you could have 1-2 4-5 hour shifts ridiculous.Management is seriously lacking basically treat you like garbage and an expendable cog in the corporate machine which then in turn gives next to no chance for progression.The stress of the job and lack of work/life balance is in my honest opinion nowhere near worth the meagre payslip at the end of each month

Pros

Discounts, free tickets and Staff Screenings

Cons

Flip flopping shift patterns, Awful management, no work/life balance

Difficult and strenuous

Expect high physical labour, long shifts and going home at 2am (which are mandatory shifts selected by a rota, and sometimes you will get them multiple days in a row). On my first day we were only given a one half-hour break for a 10-hour shift. The site managers were disorganised and multiple coworkers have decided to quit once we opened like I did. Cleaning up other people's food in the cinema rooms is not pleasant. This job might (I stress, might) be for people who have a particularly high fitness level and who are used to long/overnight shifts, but even then I don't think it's worth it.

Pros

Free movie tickets I guess

Cons

Almost everything else

Brilliant place to work

There is many perks of working at the Vue, they are a brilliant team and super friendly. Great place to make friends and be supported. The team treats you as family and just want to help make the job easy as possible for you. I loved working here. My mother died and they was super supportive, they gave me a month of so I could come home and thet said that it was no issue they understood. Really would recommend the job.

Pros

Free cinema tickets for you friends and family, discount on food and drinks. Treated as family

Cons

Just may see spoilers from checking the cinema screens

Fast paced

Job is fast paced, can sometimes be slow.Rota given minimum 2 days before new week starts, if you are flexible and can do anytime or day this will be great for you.Can have lazy staff and team leaders. Be prepared to rushed off your feet.Contracted to 4 hrs but you will do more than 4 hrs.

Pros

Tickets and 40% discount

Cons

No life lazy staff

Great place and socialisable

Great place to work, got to have a great sense of humour otherwise you’d dread to go into work. Management is great once you get to know them and just work with them. To be fair they have banter with the staff and know when they need to be strict some are too nice. Some shifts can be hectic but just need to chill out and won’t need a gym membership if your on floor. The work place culture is amazing and the staff that are there are sound work together and always enough gossip to have conversations all shift even on the longer shifts makes the days go a lot quicker. A lot of the work is just common sense

Pros

30 minute break every 4 hours, great workplace culture, management is good

Cons

Hours can be dreadful on quiet weeks, minimum wage

Shocking

Awful pay, i’m 20 and I was on what? £7 an hour? Having to pay rent and food with that combined with low hours, also the management is awful and the people you work with are extremely hit and miss. Don’t do this unless you really enjoy pain, genuinely.

Pros

Free movies. That’s the only one.

Cons

Shocking pay, minimal hours

Jobs at Vue Cinemas

See more jobs

Hard work but enjoyable

Shifts vary from early mornings to very late nights with no extra money for unsociable hours. There’s a lot to learn for the job with no incentive. Staff are friendly, most managers are helpful. Some are on power trips too much to help. It’s not a bad place to work. Small contract so sometimes only get 4 hours a week.

Pros

Free cinema tickets, discount food

Cons

Unsociable hours

Minimum pay, unreliable hours

Some weeks would have 4 hours others 20 and only got rota a week in advance so no real work life balance, as well on minimum wage. Made to work until 3am on occasions even though only Rota’d in until 12/12.30. Exploit young workers. Given 5 minutes to clean large screens on your own then shouted at when paperwork not completed. 2/4 management staff you’d go out your way to avoid. Not worth your time, effort, or mental health.

Pros

Free cinema tickets

Cons

Unpredictable weekly hours, rubbish pay, expect to do the job of 3 people when busy

Inhumane workplace

Vue Cinemas is the worst place I’ve ever worked, colleagues aren’t supportive and are horrible including managers, highly don’t recommend working at Vue Cinemas

Awful

Felt lost and was bullied at the workplace. Not a nice company to work for at all. Very stressful as no one would help me or try to support me. Would not recommend at all. Save yourself

Pros

Few free films and small discounts on food

Cons

Awful people and managers in Camberely

Poor management and rubbish pay

You are only given a 4 hour contract no matter what the Customer Assistant ad says.Its minimum wage, so don't apply if you want to afford your rent.While everyone (onsite) was perfectly nice there was no communication between management so no one knew what was going on.After the November lockdown, the popcorn was out of date, so we were told to add a day dot, adding 6 weeks to the use by date, this happened with some of the other food too, just for a shorter amount of time.And they will mess up your pay, and refuse to fix it.And the cleaners do not clean the any of the toilets.However the Custiner Assistants were all very good and their hourly checks for cleaning.

Pros

Free tickets

Cons

No planning a personal life, bad pay, poor management, poor hygeine

Wonderful place

I worked at Vue for around 2 years, only leaving due to COVID. I loved this job, mainly for the staff, but the job was nice as well. We were furloughed at the beginning of COVID and was kept well informed throughout. I really didn’t want to leave, however the majority of staff are on 4 hour contracts so I knew when we reopened I wouldn’t be getting the hours needed. We often got early showings of films which comes in handy with the big films such as Marvel and fot free tickets as well. We got 40% discount on food and drink.

Pros

Flexibility, free films, staff

Cons

Sometimes had really late finishes

Avoid

unprofessional enviroment, lack of communication between management team, intimidating verbal behaviour and attitude from the general manager, unpredictable hours and a severe lack of training. GM has made multiple staff cry due to the way he has spoken to them/bullied them including management staff at times. it has been a poor experience working for this company. not worth the stress for minimum wage.

Pros

Free tickets / food discount

Cons

stressful enviroment

Great job! Especially for students

Just recently left here as I’ve started another job but they’ve kept me on furlough which I really appreciate!Really good job especially if your a student or a young adult, management are super friendly and helpful, employees are the best part I met some great people who are always friendly and welcoming. Pay could be a lot better. Hours are very accommodating to yours needs. Can sometimes get a little boring especially during COVID due to less staff and customers but when everything was normal it was great always busy and never bored. Would highly recommend to anyone. Been my best job so far they helped me a lot especially when I was going through mental health issues and during lockdown the company looked after all staff members safe and in a job which is amazing great company!

Pros

Free tickets and % off food, great safe and managers helpful and friendly

Cons

Pay low

Would look forward to shifts I loved the people I worked with

Easy role I was mainly on tills but theres also floor (cleaning) which wasnt too bad. You had to hit targets but they were not strict at all to hit these targets. If youre over 18 then you will work late on closes. Management was good, loved who I worked with literally looked forward to every shift

Pros

My co-workers, Free cinema tickets

Cons

The pay wasnt the best but this was before the new rise, you know the timetable a day or two in advance

Good fun

Good fun, team mates, late nights A good first job or a part time, perhaps for students.Never a dull momentGood employee discount also, and benefits. Wage could be improved, shift patterns generally reasonable

Pros

Free tickets

Poor place to work

Unsociable hours, given shifts that finish at 2am and expect you to get taxis home if you don’t drive. Poor money, no support from management who send you rude emails when you’re off sick too

Pros

Free cinema tickets

Cons

Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vue Cinemas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement