wagamama
Happiness score is 69 out of 100

wagamama Employee Reviews

Very busy place to work, you need to learn very quickly. During when I was working there management needed improvement for sure. Hope now it’s better.
Pros
Staff meal Tips
Cons
Long hours Split shift Short notice with rota
It was good at the beginning but after 5 years in the job you realise how toxic it can really be. Manager's are childish/obnoxious, will talk about you behind your back but in person will tell you what you want to hear. You can get promoted quicky although favouritism is more desirable than actuality being skilled at the job. If you're a hard worker you may feel demoralised. You will be belittled, bullied and slandered constantly even though the company has a "strong mental health" policy. They have an off-site management team that are oblivious to what happens in the restaurants but are always pushing for a positive work environment. Most bad practices are swept under the rug because money is more important than a workers well being. I've worked in multiple wagamama sites throughout greater Manchester and around England. Most of them operate very similar.Don't get me wrong I've met some amazing people throughout my time in the company, sadly though these people are usually pushed to one side. They will inevitably quit or be forgotten about. Seriously consider before applying. I work boh but foh can just be as toxic.
Pros
Free food. boh tips. Flexible working hours depending on head chef
Cons
Bullies. Close opens. Fake people. Poor wage for the workload
Wagamama execs and hq speak a lot about the positive culture, but the strain put on the people working in the restaurants does not allow for this. Very stressful working environment.Good comms from head office.GMs get away with murder!
Pros
Fast paced, good comms
Cons
Work life balance, stress
Felt like I got driven out of the place. Management can do a lot better at their jobs and take into consideration of staffs needs and actually help out the team. They say it’s like a family but it’s actually people glaring and talking about you behind your back. I felt very uncomfortable working there by how everyone made me feel. Feel like you're running around like a headless chicken doing so much and you get no gratitude for it, no thanks or anything. Feels like a downer to go in. Really long hours that are mentally and physically draining with no actual LEGAL break! They give you a split shift that has an hour or so gap in between but you can be doing 3h then an hour “break” (more like gap) and go back for 6h and have no 20min break or anything!!!! As well as that, they give you back to back double shifts which even if asked to be less they won’t approve and let you carry on struggling. Disgrace and wouldn't recommend anyone to work for wagamamas.
Pros
Free food (depending how long you work), vegan / GF options, decent pay for younger people, weekly pay
Cons
Long hours, rubbish management, no respect, so many double shifts next to each other, lack of empathy, either boiling hot or really cold in there, bad customer communication, very bad work-life routine
Ottima esperienza belle persone .mi sono trovato veramente bene
Pros
Ottimo lavoro di gruppo
Cons
Nessuno
Top of the high street in terms of how a restaurant is run from top head office to servers and kitchen staff. You won't find better.Of course it comes with its usual corporate annoyances the further up you go, however the progression, recognition and opportunities are very good.Health and safety, hygiene etc are top quality as well.This company is always advancing and keeping itself at the top and this filters down to the food and service and culture
Pros
Staff food, flexibility on days off, progression and recognition, food quality, standards, relaxed atmosphere, tattoos and piercings allowed
Cons
Split shifts, long hours, work most weekends
Como todo trabajo de hotelería en horas puntas hay mucho trabajo de golpe. Ambiente de trabajo bueno, buen sueldo basado sobretodo en las propinas. Estuve en Moorgate, Londres.
I was given a chance to start my career in food at a wagamamas which also meant I was able to move in with my girlfriend! Unfortunately I became very ill with some type of food poisoning which meant I had to remain off work as I had symptoms of sickness etc, I was on probation and following exactly what Out of Hours and 111 told me to which was remain away for 48hours since last symptoms so I did.In summary I got told I was going to have a disciplinary thing against me when I returned to work I took it on the chin and accepted the fact I haven't been able to work thats fair then a day later I messaged my head chef asking if my contract was terminated to my actual suprise it had been which is a massive shame as I never really got a chance to apply the skills I was given in a short time working there.Ps: I believe I followed the right method and didn't return to work due to my illness and followed correct procedure by remaining away for 48hours+ incase my illness was passed on.Anyways I did love the job and opportunity I was given it's a shame of how it came to an end so quickly.
Pros
Free Food on shift, Mostly great staff
Cons
Short breaks, Sometimes rushed training
The reason I left this job is because one of the floor managers was bullying me. The floor managers seemed to think that just because they had to run the floor, they were above the front of house and back of house team. Like we were peasants.
Pros
Free lunch, good co workers
Cons
Horrible managers.
i loved working at wagamama. they really make you feel welcome when you first start and working there for 2 years they moulded me into a better person and really made me into one of them. wagamama will always be my favourite ever company to work for. its just a shame i live in an area where there isnt a chain closer enough for me to travel
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at wagamama?
Great team + management overall! (Not you, head office). Food on shift is massively appreciated, as is an incredibly efficient tips system. Hours and advancement are where Wagamama loses a considerable amount of points for me. I was contracted for a certain amount of hours, a number that was consistently never reached - except during the height of summer/Christmas, when the company would work me to the bone. During the quieter months, hours would be cut left right and centre, predominantly due to the never-ending mounting pressure from head office, leading to many a time when managers would be forced to make hard calls relating to hours and holiday. For a company that claims to champion mental health, head office couldn't give a toss about any of us on the restaurant floor.
Pros
Free food on shift, tronc, great management, wonderful team, flexible hours
Cons
Worked to the bone, hours cut mercilessly, 'stand-by' shifts, head office/area manager
Good working environment but always busy, good chances to grow within the brand. occasionally cost cut which can lead to lack of hours and wages, you do go home smelling of oil.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Smell of oil
Working in Wagamama was fun and challenging at the same time. Friendly people and helpful managers. love the culture.You will also get to work in a bar ,work as a host not only table service.
Wagamama is just a great place to work, from day one you get all the support and understanding that you need, even if you dont have any experience at all. The tips are fair and really good. The managers and co-workers are amazing, and helpfull at all times. The company gives you a lots of chances for progressing and gaining many usefull skills.
Cons
I don't think that I was treated fairly, this is the reason why I left the company, I did apply for manager position, turns out that the position was already taken, somehow I was the only applicant and I finished on 2nd place,the position was given to someone else who came in company as a team member and didn't had probation period finished.,however no feedback whatsoever was given
Cons
Very bad management
Once your on board with Wagamama you are in one big new family. Management and Gental Manager very easy to talk to, help in every way they can. They work around you as in what hours, days your able to do. They give you plenty support, encourage you to try new work stations once you've mastered one. Room to progress career higher up.
Is very good company to work with, the management not just look for the development of the company but also for the human force. Is a fun place to work, relax, but at the same time attentive to the business part.
Pros
Got atmoshpere
Cons
Salary
Worst place to work and I worked there twice , I went back for the pay which was good when you’re on tips ( after 2 weeks) but gosh management are proper jobsworths
Pros
Tips
Cons
Everything else
Long hours for BOH, from 7:30am till close, finishing times vary. Usually 12am - 2am. Never enough staff to do all prep. No help with prep or Line if you cannot start at their suggested times.
Pros
Free meals, good pay, good company benefits.
Cons
Long hours, not enough staff FOH & BOH. Company allows big parties to arrive without booking beforehand.
Busy shifts, difficult customers, however, the management is supportive, not always qualified to be on certain position though. Possibility of quick progression especially in big cities. The most enjoyable part of the job is the possibility of having conversations with customers and meeting plenty of new people (colleagues) and making friends as in this industry people come and goes.
Very,very poor management, working like a horse, tips charing and most of the tips managers taking 😒 I would never,ever recomend my friends work in Wagamama.
  1. Employee reviews