Waitrose & Partners
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Waitrose & Partners Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,777 reviews
partnerlewispartnershipsupermarketdiscountjohnwhilstsubsidised

Great to be part of the driving team

Great team work and nice working environment. Nice to be able to do your job and switch off. Zero pressure or stress in the workplace.Pay bang average but comparative with similar organisations. Fairly high turnover of staff in all areas.

Pros

Hours suit

Cons

Stood down at with next to notice and not paid

Minimum wage

Lowest paid supermarket avoid if you can. Don't fall for the partnership hype it's basically lies to make you feel valued. Not treated very well for what it claims to be

Insights into Waitrose & Partners

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energising work tasks

Excellent Workplace

Managers very supportive and helpful. You never get wrong.They don’t take sides.always neutralAlway opportunities to challenge.If you challenge you will get reward’s and your picture will posted on the wall.Always have opportunities to grow your self. Very open trancepearncy culture.More overtime,pay me double Sundays. rewards and bonus always above 5%Highest paid supermarket.30 years experience partner gets £11.50.And newly recruited partner get £11.50 the pay is very fair. 30 years working without Sunday contract only get £11.50 per hours for normal days earn less compare to Who has Sunday contract get £23.00 per hour.The company policy and rules very organised.they treated me very fairly and honestly.One of the best company around the world.Do not miss working here.

Cons

No cons

Understaffed but no hours

Colleagues are lovely but cutting down hours so the shop seems understaffed. Benefits not worth it anymore, some people earning double time/ time and 1/2 on Sundays but anyone who joined now earns nothing extra

Waitrose is a productive workplace. You can meet fun people. It can get repetitive but I mean a jobs a job at the end of the day isn’t it. I would say go for it

Productive and fun place

They have good managers, they help you progress, the company has good benefits, the colleague are collaborators, it is a friendly place to work. Waitrose is a good place to work

Not bad for students

I worked at Waitrose and Partners for a few years. It was a part time job while I studied. The money was good and I had fixed shifts each week to fit within my studies. I didn’t particularly love working there but I tolerated it to get money. Managers lacked communication skills and had huge superiority complexes, colleagues sometimes were petty and it was a mediocre experience in terms of retail etc. The branch manager was super nice and he was great to get along with, just a shame his inferiors were obsessed with authority and power. I personally wouldn’t work there for the rest of my life but if you like getting money and an easy life then go for it. On the plus side, lots of opportunity to do overtime, great pay (for students at least) and staff discount.

Pros

Staff discount for Waitrose and John Lewis, Fair pay for younger people studying, Flexible for students, Easy work (sometimes)

Cons

Incompetent and managers, Pettiness from colleagues, Not much chance for progression

Great team

Great team and great working with lovely people . It is fast paced especially during delivery times but it’s fun. Once you learn the basics it’s easy and there is always someone who will help. You become a family. Plenty of opportunities to further your career if you chose to. The partnership has a lot of benefits.

Pros

Team work

Cons

Cold and customers can be mean

Great

Love it, really great sense of belonging. Work is challenging but you get great support and benefits. Enjoy the work even in the challenging times. I love it

Fun and easy to go back in holidays

Easy to go back in holidays, good fun and decent pay. If you leave you come back on same pay which is good. Can be some early mornings but can be changed if you ask.

Great salary for students

If you a student the salary is amazing. Benefits are also great. Difficult to get hours changed if you need them lowered so work/life balance isn't great. Constant change in branch managers and some of the other manager aren't great and can be rude. Other staff members are great and hardworking.

Pros

Salary, benefits, other staff.

Cons

Staff are friendly but overworked at times

Unfortunately even though working for Waitrose you become a partner but all partners are not equal. Which is why they cannot retain new staff. Due to existing older staff being on far far better contracts for doing the same work. Paid for overtime ,paid time and half for Saturday, double for Sundays paid for breaks etc. All new staff are on a contract that pays them a flat hourly rate for whatever whenever hours worked. Not exactly equal partnership!!

Pros

Discounted purchases

Cons

Flat rate and boring job

Don't believe the hype

Minimum wage, no paid breaks, have to work over Xmas, chaotic management, chaotic in general, lack of support and help...but generalyl staff are nice.

Cons

They expect a lot but give little.. a lot of double standards

Productive but Exhausting

I'll tell you, working nights is ideal for those with families, you can work around them and you end up staying as it just fits in but from the moment you start - you are rushed off your feet until you leave - time really flies! You pretty much do the same thing every night so there are no set challenges and I guess there isn't really room for progression. Management is poor, we don't have any managers to manage us through the night, if we have a query about our pay, our work, training, then you have to call the Managers during the day if they 'could' help! The hardest part of the job would be the workload, it's not for everyone, you are constantly moving and heavy lifting. The most enjoyable part of the job is that time does fly and of course the benefits - there's lots!

Pros

Works around your family, Benefits are great

Cons

Fatigue, Poor Management, Heavy lifting

Some do a lot, some very little...

Depending on who and where you work within Waitrose, there always seems to be 'zombie' employees who somehow know exactly how to play the 'get away with as little as possible game.. and they do, they've been here a long time and know how best to play the Waitrose system. There seems to be little or no reward or recognition for knuckeling down, using your anitiative, and plain getting on with what is sometimes hard physical work, and indeed lengthy constant paperwork. If you do something not to Waitrose liking, could be simple like swapping a scouring pad for a different coloured one because nobody had ordered the right ones, they will come down on you like you have done something criminal to Waitrose, rediculous over reactions, unyet the same zombie people are just 'floating around (or sitting around) in the dining room, getting paid for not much at all.. avoid, the only part of a Waitrose store you want to be on is the customers side-if your rich enough!

Pros

Not much, 20%, but that just makes the price like a normal shop

Cons

Drain you with Waitrosisms, the tules and regs, there are many, and work is mainly long boring, and tedious and obsessive cleaning of some parts of store, whilst other parts stay filthy, or broken for months

Supportive coworkers

Very good to work with and everyone supports one another during the shift. Only downside is once you start working weekends, it's hard to change your shifts to just weekdays.

Pros

Hot lunches, bonuses, supported by managers/staff even with rude customers

Cons

Can't change weekends once contracted, rude customers

Pleasant

Worked here for 18 months and had a pleasant experience working at the company. As a full timer there is a rotating shift pattern of 1 in 2 Saturdays and 1 in 4 Sundays, however you can drop the Sunday with notice. Rest of the shifts consisted of earlies, mids, lates and they could easily be swapped with notice for any out of work arrangements. Job role consisted of learning many areas of the business so you were multi skilled which allowed for variety and flexibility in the shifts. Colleagues were friendly, management was mostly in touch with issues and it was a close nit environment. Progression didn’t particularly have an obvious or clear path however I’m sure if that’s something you were looking for it’s something to work towards.

Pros

Good environment, good colleagues

Cons

Lack of progression

It's as stressful as you make it

It's as stressful as you make it. Often forgotten that it is just putting beans on shelves in a timely manner. Managers tend to sit in judgment in offices drinking tea then question partners on their efficiency whilst oblivious to the chaotic day they've had. Departments don't work together, just fight.

Pros

Cheap lunch

Cons

Poor management

Terrible place to work

Terrible place to work , poor management over performers are constantly belittled and not recognised for what they do. There's no partnership or teamwork avoid at all costs

Lovely people great place to work

I liked working for waitrose friendly people was able to just get on with my work without stress left because of personal issues at home would recommend working for waitrose

Worst company I've ever worked for!

Worst company I've ever worked for! The way they treat their staff is like being in a school playground. You're not a partner here as they like to make out- it's all a con to push more work out of you etc. Extremely bad management and way to many managers too. Not at all flexible with hours or holidays, disciplinary action if unable to attend work due to sickness (even cancer!). Most of the staff are all very 'clicky' a bit like a weird cult. So many staff having affairs with other staff members. Staff discount isn't even worth it. No bonuses. 100% would not recommend!

Pros

None! None at all.

Cons

The list is too long! Avoid! Very stressful, bullying.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose & Partners. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement