Waitrose & Partners
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Waitrose & Partners Employee Reviews

Found 2,224 reviews matching the search
I enjoyed my time here and the tasks are relatively easy but if you are not part of their clique you won’t have any chance of advancing. Pay is a massive issue, the system does not pay higher for more experienced staff like it should do and you regularly have to pull people up for it for them to notice the mistakes. Managers are on the most part lovely and helpful but the odd few are difficult and rude. Especially branch managers.One who once told me that certain minor simple tasks were below his pay grade and would rather get people off their breaks than do it themselves. The job in itself is extremely reliable and flexible to help with maternity leave, coming back to work from extended time away and changing shifts to fit your lifestyle especially new parents - if you have decent line managers. Booking holiday can be a nightmare and you have to check your overtime regularly as they always forget to pay it On the whole though it was a good place to work if you just want to earn your money and go home - but if you plan to work your way up I wouldn’t recommend here. Start rate where I worked was £8.77 as of dec 2020 probably one of the worse paying supermarkets out of them all just a heads up
Pros
Flexible, parent friendly
Cons
Cliquey, pay system is ridiculous
Never been happier. Fantastic Manager and Supervisors. The people I work with are all friendly and helpful, never feel like an outsider. The company have excellent benefits and will do all they can to accommodate changes in your circumstances.
Pros
Financial help with things like podiatrist fees, occasional "gift" of free spend up to a limit.
Cons
Hard physical work on nights.
I couldn't rate this role highly enough. I loved working for Waitrose, team was great, management were great and the customers made the long shifts worth it.
Pros
Discounted lunch, employee discount card
Not a great job for long term. Every day is the same stacking shelves often the same same isle. Little opportunity to progress and develop due to the many layers of overpaid managers. Small pay increments of 20p per year possibly but before 5 years most likely constructive dismissal. There is no longer a bonus scheme and workers are treated poorly. New contracts are offered where you will be paid less than longer serving partners who will be doing less work than you and you will miss out on benefits such as time and a half for Sunday’s and overtime. If you are Physically injured at work you will be poorly looked after. Only good thing about the job is discount on shopping.If you like working for overseers (waitrose managers) who will be earning twice or three times as much as you for watching you work and hiding in offices go for it.
Pros
Discount
When I worked at Waitrose in altrincham I worked there for about a year and a half and I was a student, staff were amazing and got to know so many amazing people, on the other hand in my time at Waitrose some managers in particular my line manager didn’t like me to learn how to do other job that weren’t approved by them even though my supervisor believed I was more than capable to do so and would let me work up the ladder and become a supervisor on the check-outs, this stopped me from being trained on certain sections such as front desk due to them not wanting me too. Also I found out in the early stages of my Waitrose career that the same manager (my line manager) was talking about me behind my back to my supervisor, but as I befriended my supervisor they told me about the conversation and I was extremely discouraged as the stated that they didn’t like me as they thought I was too nice and they didn’t like me because of it and other things they stated, (they also made it very clear that they didn’t like me by avoiding me at all costs or when I was trying to be nice and speak to them they would be very dismissive and rude) this made me feel extremely uncomfortable but as this was my first job and I was between the age of 17-18 I didn’t have the confidence to do anything about it and I believe this was bullying behaviour which I wouldn’t allow now from this experienced as it made me dread coming to work and I felt completely discouraged as the reason as to why they wouldn’t allow me to train and move up was simply because the didn’t like me which I find unfair as all I tried - more...
Pros
Discount, Staff, pay
Cons
Managers, bullying behaviour, giving you more work then you can handle!
Never hated a job so much. Staff are all stuck up and so two faced. The most toxic environment and what a dull job. Pay was rubbish too! Minimum wage for Waitrose, don't bother unless you're desperate and have a plan B lined up!
Cons
Long hours, rubbish breaks, full of snobs
Poor management, awful working conditions, lack of PPE, no respect for workforce, workload totally unrealistic, total lack of communication, unsafe and dirty working enviroment, lack of moral amongst staff, lied to on numerous occasions. Quite simply the worst place I have ever worked in. Best avoided!
Failed to pay me correctly throughout my time with them. Poor work practices. Poor management practices. Poor all round experience. Anyone with responsibility just seemed out of their depth. Couldn't wait to leave.
The management leaves a lot to be desired,when they weren't around it wasn't too bad but they seemed to panic at the slightest thing and didn't care about anything or anyone except how they would look to the bosses.
Pros
Cons
Treated like animals
Easy mindless work, but the Meanwood store has awful nighttime management. Often found myself at my wits end with the 'young' managers who refused to grow up and do simple tasks. Spent 2 months unpaid due to silly errors made by my manager. The team is great overall, just has terrible management and team leaders.
Pros
Gopd pay
Cons
Long hours, laughable management
It is a tough regime but this is necessary in retail but if you work hard, are flexible and a team player you can have a great career. Also, your pay is reviewed annually and there is an excellent pension scheme.
Pros
You have proper workers rights
Cons
Some managers could learn to do their jobs and treat people with respect, firm but fair is best.
I actually enjoyed working nights at Waitrose but it n the Crewkerne branch the management is awful. They neglect the night team and blame us for everything, everytime you tried to book holiday they would wait till that week is fully booked then denie your request, prioritising the day team.
Pros
Friendly partners
Cons
Head Management, Holiday
My branch was very unorganised, I came in for training and nobody knew I was meant to be there half the time and I had nobody to report to. Stuck me in front of a computer for hours with nobody to ask questions to. Applied for a customer service role but for some reason they’re teaching me how to use the deli and meat counter. I’m all for being flexible and learning new things, but it’s not the job I applied for. They had my cleaning chicken grease out of the oven on my 3rd day. Very messy and unorganised so I left that same day
Cons
Unorganised, no staff discount
Ended up being a horrible place to work. Managers take everything so personally and have uncomfortable relationships with partners. Work load is easy unless managers set unrealistic goals typically due to selfish reasons.
Pros
Discount and paid sick days
Cons
Horrible management values, you will cry
The shop I worked at was loved by the shoppers ,as staff we would go out of our way to help customers, the food was very good quality and customer service was the best there is in my opinion. It was an enjoyable place to work and staff were more like a family .
Pros
Canteen was cheap and great value .
Cons
Too much overtime and felt compelled to help out .
Good canteen nice management and good layout of work very welcoming team and brilliant benefits including free breakfast sometimes and refreshments also the management encourage you to progress learn get stuck in etc
Pros
Vending machines
Cons
Bad communications within team
Staff treated very roughly n management only want care about profits not stafe n when ur ill they do not care bad place to work for at all mistreated
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Do not pay over time
The type of work is very repetitive, at least in my department. If you are looking for something creative and exciting Waitrose isn't the place for you. If you enjoy doing similar work tasks daily, then this will be the perfect company to work for. Managers general give a lot of support and encouragement, but relationships amongst partners seems to be lacking, partners seemed very anti social, and most of the time I felt lonely and would like someone to acknowledge the work I'm doing.
Pros
Free lunch, good shift pattern
Cons
Partner Culture
Great people to work with Rotas don’t give much work life balance. Single rest days aren’t good. Management lack experience and some have a bullying culture. No Respect at all .
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No work life balance.. Bad communication throughout.
The cleaning rooms were in a disgusting state as were the tools used to clean. The floor cleaner needed hot water (not coldwater as was used) & some detergent added to clean the floor & make it smell nice.
Pros
Local.
Cons
Useless cleaning materials.
Working at Waitrose for this past year has been very eye opening and a great kickstart before going off to university. I would highly recommend working for the company to anyone of any age group as it tailors well to everyone’s needs and outside commitments. The management is, for the most part, good and collaborative. The pay is also very fair and generous.