Waitrose & Partners

Shop Assistant157 reviews
United Kingdom157 reviews

Found 157 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,777 reviews
partnerlewispartnershipsupermarketdiscountjohnwhilstsubsidised

It's as stressful as you make it

It's as stressful as you make it. Often forgotten that it is just putting beans on shelves in a timely manner. Managers tend to sit in judgment in offices drinking tea then question partners on their efficiency whilst oblivious to the chaotic day they've had. Departments don't work together, just fight.

Pros

Cheap lunch

Cons

Poor management

Great team

Great team and great working with lovely people . It is fast paced especially during delivery times but it’s fun. Once you learn the basics it’s easy and there is always someone who will help. You become a family. Plenty of opportunities to further your career if you chose to. The partnership has a lot of benefits.

Pros

Team work

Cons

Cold and customers can be mean

Insights into Waitrose & Partners

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energising work tasks

Very mixed experiences

A decent company to work for but the way many managers speak to you and bark orders is depressing and counter productive. If your face doesn't fit, you do get treated differently. There is a lack of planning ahead and often inept communication from the top down, including across the staff. Many partners are great to work with though, but overall it's not the mutually respectful teamwork I am used to, as a professional person.

Some great colleagues, mixed management standards, hard work, enjoyable if you like physical work

Can be unfair salary pay in relation to experience.Good support within the organisation; private support line for workers.Flexibility expected from you to cover shifts.Hard line when it comes to sickness, car accidents that can really affect morale.Managers generally good at responding to issues.Many report feeling like a number and not an individual.

Waitrose

Took ages to get a start date after emailing number of time eventually got a start date and contract. Job just wasn’t for me. Team work hard and are mostly friendly .

Great pay, nice staff- can be a bit patronising and times, expecting you to know stuff without fully showing you how to do it. Variety of jobs you can do.

Pros

Lovely staff

Cons

Sat on till for 9 hours

Under staffed

High turnover of staff, work load placed on remaining team if short staffed. So unorganised unbelievable. More chiefs than Indians running a ship they haven’t got a clue

Fits around my life

Started as a Christmas temp but decided to stay as was a job I found easy to do that fit around my family nicely. It's not exciting and hours are antisocial.

Pros

Company discounts

Cons

Antisocial hours

It’s okay I’m some ways

You have such a good time normally can be sociable but gets quiet repetitive it’s a good job for the most part only some managers aren’t the best at what they do

Pros

Discount and lunch food

Okay place to work

It’s an okay place to work I stayed there for a year and a half, however the management and work load got too much for me. Would have stayed for long if it was not for the poor managers.

Pros

Good discounts and lovely people to work with

Cons

A lot of difficulty with customers and also management

Great for part-time and temporary work.

Waitrose is a great place to work if you enjoy menial and mindless work, you're basically getting paid to be bored out of your mind. The salary is decent if you're working a part-time job, however it could be better for full-time. Management is decent at Waitrose, however, they practically never grant holiday requests unless they are basically 6 months or more in advance. Waitrose teaches you how to work well in a team, you can expect a daily shift to include shelf stacking, till working, date checking/swapping, and facing out aisles if you're a shop assistant.

Pros

Decent part-time work and discount for Waitrose & John Lewis

Cons

Terrible for holidays and boring work

Good salary but can be stressful

Waitrose has many benefits and is worth the salary and becoming a ‘partner’. However, can be stressful/early shifts and management is not the most reliable

Pros

Good lunches

Unfair work environment.

The managers play favourites with partners. These partners tend to receive gifts and recognition as well as a good work review even though a lot of them put in minimum effort.Hard working partners who put the hours in but who aren't lucky enough to be a mangers favourite will receive little thanks for going that extra mile for the business. There also seems to be a massive bully culture in the partnership. I haven't heard of one so bad in other businesses. I have seen Partners quit all because they couldn't stand the toxic environment they were forced to work in.

Pros

Discount at John Lewis

Cons

Managers favouritism and bully culture.

Fast paced, busy and can be very cold

You will be busy all the time, managers can have favourites but overall is a nice place to work most staff nice and friendly.Main problem is we are always short of staff, lots of people leave due to this, staff are rarely replaced so the problem just got biggerThey once reward their staff with bonus and better pay according to staff performance from this year it has changed which is a big kick in the teeth of the very hard working partners

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Work can be boring

One of the better Supermarkets to work at

Thorough training and induction. Relatively straight forward tasks. Managers at the branch I worked were all ok. A lot of the younger staff progressed quickly to managerial roles.

Pros

Discounted lunch and Waitrose card.

Cons

Pay could be better

Fun workplace and excellent employee benefits!

I love working in waitrose. The team is brilliant. We all work well together and respect each other. There is always opportunity to learn new skills. The management encourage you to do so. It's a fast pace environment but very rewarding after a shift has finished.

Highly recommend it. Very good place to work. Offers great benefits such as discounts and activities in the UK.Offers great training.Discounts with John Lewis.You're a partner and your voice matters.Great quality food and goods.

slow paced, often working alone

Lonely environment as often working alone for the day. Some managers were reasonable however some of them were unfair and would try act as a dictator not a supermarket manager .

a day at work

A lot of customer involvement, meaning you have to be very polite, understanding and efficient while working. The working day can be very busy, but you are not pressured, you are able to work at your own pace, it’s a very friendly environment to work in, and everyone works as one big team

Very poor salary for extremely busy shifts full time on your legs

I was so disappointed that the salaries are so low nowadays and unacceptable for the really hard physical work required. A few years ago it was better paied and more people working on the shop floor but nowadays it is too much pressure mentally and physically for a very poor paied job (£1,240 per month)

Pros

Few advantages like going for a break in one of John Lewis estate

Cons

Very poor salary, very pressurised work and very bad middle management

Waitrose

I love the people who I work with and the management support us with a variety of things partners struggle with. I feel like I am in a small family and am well supported. I enjoy working on various departments while also helping to train others on equipment such as the baler.

Pros

Discount, feels like a family, parties, supported

Cons

Some shift patterns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waitrose & Partners. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement