Wakefield College

Wakefield College Employee Reviews

Very good management, they are very approachable, the supervisor is always friendly , helpful and knowledgeable , all the staff enjoy working with Wakefield college.
Pros
No lunch
Cons
Less hours
Worked with a sourkraut who’s main aim in their working life was to belittle anyone who worked with them. Used to see tire marks on the backs of a few who this person had thrown under the metaphorical bus. Horrid!
Cons
I enjoy working at Wakefield College cause it's friendly and like a family we all get on Hard work but we're left alone to get on with the job.the job involves cleaning toilet, showers, mopping, hovering using buffer machine's,dusting .we have great holidays, Christmas parties, BBQ party.a great place to work.
Pros
Christmas parties, BBQ party, and great holidays.
Cons
Hard work and early start.
I enjoy the placement I am on very much and would recommend teacher training there. I plan and deliver lessons with my mentors guidance to Level 3 diploma Music Technology students.
Good facilities and resources Good support network Regular staff meetings Standardisation meeting on a regular basis. Uniform provided Good student support
I've worked in nearly every dept of college and apart from a few negative people as you would expect it's like a big team. Good pay, great advancement opportunities.
wakefield collage is a good place to learn new skills and to meet new people, every one is very helpful and friendly when you need any help with and thing
Staff very much undervalued. Lack of support from management , too many chief's & not enough Indians , with flexible goalposts and no protocols in place . If you value your sanity then stay well clear.
There is a good mentoring system in place, where you can learn from more experienced staff.There are clear objectives and expectations are also clear for all staff
Pros
central location
Cons
Everyone is really supportive and welcoming. The nature of FE makes the environment sometimes intense. For example the pressures of Ofsted and results.
Basically, a new course lead was employed who changed the whole team dynamics. 6/12 staff left within 6 months?! That speaks for itself. She was only a course lead who did not have a clue about her role and the management ignored all communication from us as a teaching team to nurture this amazing new starter. Unfortunately, this ‘curriculum manager’ was given ‘gardeners leave’ within 12 months! Too late - lost 6 committed teachers through ignorance
Pros
Salary
Cons
Poor Leadership of Middle Management
Great and welcoming place to work, friendly staff and a great atmosphere. Recently been employed as a apprentice vehicle technician and loving every piece of it.
I support a disabled learner in class, help him with assignments and projects and moving around the campus. It's a challenging and productive workplace and I enjoy helping my learner.
The culture at the Castleford campus is quite different to the main campus in Wakefield. The learners here are mostly on 'trade' vocational courses, and a tiny number are here but don't want to be. The college environment is light, modern and pleasant and the other staff are friendly and hard working. It lacks a central place for all the staff to relax in when on lunch breaks etc or to meet up in, which is a pity. The managers I have met are flexible and approachable, and do not try to micromanage their staff. Pay is not high, but the college is very easy to get to and there is plentiful free parking plus a lot of flexibility over hours. The campus is opposite Asda, which makes up a bit for the serious lack of variety in the onsite cafe. There is generally a lot of interest in jobs there; expect a fair bit of competition, but once you are in there are regular possibilities for moving sideways or on.
The time spent at this college was beneficial in my journey as a lecturer. The management were really good helping me settle into the role. The learners were well looked after to make sure they were on the correct course
The management is an absolute joke. So many people are involved in simple decision making causing absolute chaos when it comes to the simplest of tasks, a perfect example is placing an order, it not only takes multiple amounts of time and effort to find suppliers that can be ordered from, you also need to have government training to be able to locate your manager to sign the order form, which then is passed on to the finance department, who then decide they’re going to put it on hold until they see fit it can be ordered. The option to progress in your career is next to none. You will be promised the world and never receive it
Pros
My campus is across from the asda
Cons
I drive 200 miles a week to earn a thousand pounds a month
I enjoyed working at Wakefield College as an LSA but I was on a zero contract. Friendly staff and felt appreciated by the students. Enjoyed helping without the responsibility of planning, teaching and marking etc.
Pros
18 hours part time which is what I wanted
Cons
Zero contract hours
- Great for family life balance. - Flexible working patterns. - Job Security - Good Pension and Perks - Generous Leave - Opportunities to develop learning. - Poor Leadership, lack of direction. - Low job satisfaction. - Lack of progression opportunities. - Average Salary.
Pros
Benefits and perks
Cons
Poor Leadership
enjoyed all working practices with the college all staff friendly and helpful. away welcome to return if a position or Principle new rules change......
Pros
friendly helpfull staff and manager
Cons
on temp contracts
found wakefield college to be much better than sixth form however not good for those who try to work alongside. Treated like children and college are v disorganised
I found this to be a poor place to work. I felt unsupported by management during a period when I needed to do lots of unpaid overtime, whilst numerous members of staff got to take it easy and sit around chatting for long periods of time.
  1. Employee reviews