Wakefield Council

Wakefield Council Employee Reviews

Good pay . Be prepared to be passed around when first start ..But this adds to different experiences you come across .Nice to meet different people . Plenty of courses to do while doing your job.
What an absolutely horrible place to work! The work is easy enough but is compounded by the disorganisation of the council. Management have unrealistic expectations and have an incessant need to change goal posts mid project. They are intent on micromanaging everything to ensure nothing comes back on them, they have no hesitation to throw people to the wolves to save their own skins.There is an atmosphere of distrust among the workforce, a lot of tiny little empires that people constantly trying to get one over on fellow workers .Senior team members do nothing but coast in their daily work and make new members of staff feel unwelcome as they are deemed a threat to their drawing money under the false pretence of work! Management bicker and squabble like children between themselves and team members. The organisation is an absolute disgrace and a shining example of how and why nothing seems to get done by local government. A real shame as there are some really nice and welcoming people within the organisation, unfortunately they are overshadowed by the bad apples.
Pros
non
Cons
everything!
I worked for Wakefield Council for just over a year on the rehabilitation team in knotitngley. I couldn't of asked for a better set of people to work with. Line managers were all supportive and the overall managers were supportive always. Wakefield Council provided excellent training and training days were always accommodating. I was sad when I had to leave, I've never enjoyed a job so much in my life. A great service. You could always speak to management/colleagues in confidence about any issues in or outside of work.
Pros
Staff, service users, pay, training
Cons
Well led and managed, good work life balance and brilliant team work. No nasty office politics, really supportive and productive colleagues and managers.
Pros
Amazing teamwork
Cons
my experience is poor, there was no training as promised, no support, asked to do tasked and no help there when required. Asked to do things against child protection legislation.
Soul Destroying call centre work. Non stop all day. All complaints, no one is ever nice when they call the council as it's always because they need to complain about the shoddy services of Wakefield Council. You will be verbally abused by societies worst on a daily basis. Honestly, don't make yourself this unhappy. Work somewhere else.
I have worked for several different local authorities and statutory bodies and this is one of the best organisations i have ever worked for. There is not a high staff turnover and the staff team in general are quite young and forward thinking.
helpful team members who were supportive given the severe lack of resources experienced by all Councils. Managing volumes of work to try and deal with larger problems where possible could be difficult at times due mainly to limited resources.
There’s a lot of micro-management and no scope for initiative, no prospects and very low comparative pay would not recommend working here as there’s no extra benefits to make up for the low pay
I would not recommend Wakefield as a place to work to other social workers. I worked for Wakefield for five years during this time we had extremely high caseloads with very little support. All staff felt completely unsupported. When this was addressed we was advised by management that it is just the nature of social work, so much so I know people who left the profession and also considered changing profession. I have since joined another LA AND enjoy my job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wakefield Council?
Not very nice place to work, trained me up then as I was agency just let me go, waste of my time and waste of their money I worked hard with little help to learn everything then told me they were fully staffed so I wasn’t needed total waste of my time learning it all for nothing Surely you should know if you are fully staffed or not, said it would be a long term placement
Everyone from the senior management right through to the cleaners who work here were all fantastic. It was a great place to work and gave me the job satisfaction which others jobs have failed to do. In Economic Development, specifically, the team are dynamic in their approach and operate like the private sector. They really do want to make a genuine difference within the locally economy. Thanks for the support whilst in your employ, Wakefield Council.
As with most work places, working for Wakefield Council in a school has it’s pros and cons. Although the wage is low for the hours worked, the job itself is very rewarding.
Working in a school role is an ideal job when you have children of school age. Wakefield Council offer good rates of pay and a good holiday entitlement.
This was a good place to work. I have worked here twice in 2 different IT contracts. Both were for project support supporting desktop and laptop roll out projects.
Wakefield Council are low paid and few benefits are on offer. All extra training has disappeared for HLTA's and TA's. The school I work in very supportive though is heavily resticted by budget cuts. The children make the job enjoyable. The lack of funds makes the job very difficult at times
Cons
long unpaid hours
I've been in and out of employment with Wakefield Council for sometime now. Managers are a disgrace and like to gang up on their employees, never missing a chance to enter a meeting unrelated to them to kill some time. Managers openly discuss employee's at their desks despite the office being open-plan. If you're every sick at Wakefield Council make sure you don't just ring in for one day as they count occurrences not days here. When discussing health problems with your managers or senior manager make sure you keep it confidential, they don't have to know no matter how much they're hounding you. When I was on sick my manager and senior manager would often phone me despite me already ringing in sick, quite clearly because they didn't believe me. They'd request information from my GP making me re-visit GPs despite just going. The phone calls were relentless as if they were trying to catch me out or something despite me genuinely being ill. I had disclosed that I suffer from a number of problems and stated this when joining and had multiple discussions between me and my line manager. Even when I returned to work they'd still request sick notes up until the point I decided to Union involved, then they all of a sudden decided my 3 DAY! sickness was actually legit and stopped asking questions. Had numerous problems when starting up... Work load will never be reduced even if you complain to your manager, managers like to book and attend as many meetings as possible to avoid work. Often was left by myself to answer phones in a team of a dozen.
Pros
Benefits / Apprenticeship System
Cons
Managers group together to bully employees out
we went out to Castleford to engage with youth who were classed as vulnerable and potentially problematic with ASB, we then went back to the Hut to review what we had witnessed and what we spoke about to the youth
Pros
free drinks
Cons
no transport if going out on our own
Great team, very supportive and helpful. Great learning environment for students. Felt appreciated and a part of the team. Lots of learning opportunities.
Team are supportive however the systems/ procedures in place needs much improvements. The current climate is high pressured due to the rapid changes.
Pros
team work
Cons
pressures
Overall a good place to work. Good lifestyle balance. Keep your head down and get on with your work and you will be fine. A good bunch of colleague's to work with and management ok .. had worse. Once you are in with the council, you can apply for internal posts too which come up regular
Pros
Good worklife balance
Cons
Flexi shifts
  1. Employee reviews