Wakefield Council logo

Wakefield Council Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
Work-life balance
Job security & advancement

Great place to work but short on funding

Supporting and monitoring over 350 servers in the infrastructure. Good training opportunities Excellent team members and management team Good work life balance

poor

my experience is poor, there was no training as promised, no support, asked to do tasked and no help there when required. Asked to do things against child protection legislation.

Staff very clicks and unhelpful

Not very nice place to work, trained me up then as I was agency just let me go, waste of my time and waste of their money I worked hard with little help to learn everything then told me they were fully staffed so I wasn’t needed total waste of my time learning it all for nothing Surely you should know if you are fully staffed or not, said it would be a long term placement

Productive & great workplace culture

Great team, very supportive and helpful. Great learning environment for students. Felt appreciated and a part of the team. Lots of learning opportunities.

Good work place

Overall a good place to work. Good lifestyle balance. Keep your head down and get on with your work and you will be fine. A good bunch of colleague's to work with and management ok .. had worse. Once you are in with the council, you can apply for internal posts too which come up regular

Pros

Good worklife balance

Cons

Flexi shifts

Worked for Wakefield Cuncil for 3 years, 1 as an apprentice and 2 for Health Improvement.

When I first joined Wakefield Council I joined as an Apprentice in the Public Health team, this was a really rewarding experience and I enjoyed my time at Wakefield Council up until the point I switched teams to Health Improvement. There were constant problems including problems with recording sickness, pay & poor communication between staff and management. Most of their employees are nice and well educated people however there is a lot of discussion about Employees between Management. Felt like my problems were never between me and my line management as other colleagues unrelated to our team knew about personal issues. Never accept a role within this department if they off you "Career Graded Pay" this is something they do to young new comers that allows them to pay you less for the work you do up until they decide you deserve more, I was waiting around 2 years for this. I was on career grade because I wasn't qualified enough for my role, despite passing my Apprenticeship. They did not further my education whilst there or even keep record of when upcoming Career Graded Pay meetings were due. Management is okay but has various problems internally, the most senior manager suffers a weight problem however likes to publicly bully/educate others on what they're eating. Team is very talkative and doesn't work well together. Often felt isolated at work as Management wouldn't interact with me, waited 6 months before I complained about this... This was some how my fault even though the same manager had other 1:1's with Employees during this time. In summary: Do not work -

Pros

Leaving Work

Cons

Too much communication when on Sick.

Good place to work, very secure job and good management. Flexi working is very good for the work / life balance. Enjoyed the team and the job that I was doing.

Very "clicky" but if the face fits it's enjoyable place to work

The council looks after the wrong people I'm afraid. Management varies from one department to another, lack of communication from officers and departmental directors. I left as the job insecurity was the main issue due to budget cuts and fed up of seeing the deadwood still in a job.

Pros

Good pay and pension.

Cons

Lack of job security these days

good place to work

I worked for Wakefield council for 21 years and overall it was a good place to be good work colleagues good management many years of job security obviously not all tasks were to our liking but you have to put up with the good and bad but in comparison to other companies cannot fault.

Pros

job security good work collegues

Cons

dirty jobs sometimes

Great employer

Good company to work for shame about job security. Good day to day responsibilities and great people to work with. I enjoyed my time working here.

amazing helpful friendly management

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Very quick at getting you signed up to there company and getting you into work. Over all the experience I had with its itn was brilliant ,

Pros

consistant work

Cons

not always in the same place

To be discussed upon potential interest if necessary.

To be discussed upon interest of application if necessary. Information regarding clients, staff and overall current employment is not allowed under my current contract of employment.

Colleagues are good work with

Each day is different and you learn as you go along in this team. Enjoy the work I do which is quite varied and keeps you motivated.

Pros

Flexi

Cons

No promotion within the Council

Delivering excellent services within limited budgets

Delivering excellent services within limited budgets. Good work life balance and staff benefits Helping the most vulnerable in our society to lead a normal life

Excellent

Fantstic council to work for. Always help you acheive your goals. Company which is wide open for future oppurtunities. I would definetly reccomend.

Stable environment and room to progress

The apprenticeship I undertook through the Council gave me significant experience within Local Government and qualifications significant to administration and customer service roles. Though the Council was making cut-backs upon completion of my apprenticeship, I was found short-term positions within the Council, until I ultimately found a permanent position externally.

Pros

Flexi time, incremental pay scheme

Cons

few opportunities upon apprenticeship completion in my experience

Great Work Experience

A very beneficial week spent in different departments within the Legal Services Team. Staff were very knowledgable and welcoming. Gained a deep insight into what the Legal Services Team do within the Council.

A great place to work. What was my dream job at the gae of 16

A great place to work, unfortunately government cut backs have impacted on many council services, leisure being one of them. Redeployment within the council produced little or no opportunity to remain with the authority, early retirement and a change of employer and possible career direction being my best option. I worked at Minsthorpe Pool for over 40 years from the age of 16. I believe that sums up my commitment and loyalty to both my employer and my work colleagues.

excellent workplace

nice to place to work overall enjoyable and would love to work there again

Pros

gained qualifications

Cons

small salary

Good To Work For

Good pay , good to work for, teamwork .learning new skills. how to deal with children .

Cons

no pay during hols

Reliable employer

The council was a very stable job which I was happy to have been a part of.

Pros

good working hours

Cons

council downsizing