Wakefield Council logo

Wakefield Council Management reviews

Clear
Work-life balance

Review

helpful team members who were supportive given the severe lack of resources experienced by all Councils. Managing volumes of work to try and deal with larger problems where possible could be difficult at times due mainly to limited resources.

Avoid like the plague

What an absolutely horrible place to work! The work is easy enough but is compounded by the disorganisation of the council. Management have unrealistic expectations and have an incessant need to change goal posts mid project. They are intent on micromanaging everything to ensure nothing comes back on them, they have no hesitation to throw people to the wolves to save their own skins.There is an atmosphere of distrust among the workforce, a lot of tiny little empires that people constantly trying to get one over on fellow workers .Senior team members do nothing but coast in their daily work and make new members of staff feel unwelcome as they are deemed a threat to their drawing money under the false pretence of work! Management bicker and squabble like children between themselves and team members. The organisation is an absolute disgrace and a shining example of how and why nothing seems to get done by local government. A real shame as there are some really nice and welcoming people within the organisation, unfortunately they are overshadowed by the bad apples.

Pros

non

Cons

everything!

Best council to work for

I worked for Wakefield Council for just over a year on the rehabilitation team in knotitngley. I couldn't of asked for a better set of people to work with. Line managers were all supportive and the overall managers were supportive always. Wakefield Council provided excellent training and training days were always accommodating. I was sad when I had to leave, I've never enjoyed a job so much in my life. A great service. You could always speak to management/colleagues in confidence about any issues in or outside of work.

Pros

Staff, service users, pay, training

Soul Destroying Work

Soul Destroying call centre work. Non stop all day. All complaints, no one is ever nice when they call the council as it's always because they need to complain about the shoddy services of Wakefield Council. You will be verbally abused by societies worst on a daily basis. Honestly, don't make yourself this unhappy. Work somewhere else.

Do not value staff

There’s a lot of micro-management and no scope for initiative, no prospects and very low comparative pay would not recommend working here as there’s no extra benefits to make up for the low pay

Social worker child protection

I would not recommend Wakefield as a place to work to other social workers. I worked for Wakefield for five years during this time we had extremely high caseloads with very little support. All staff felt completely unsupported. When this was addressed we was advised by management that it is just the nature of social work, so much so I know people who left the profession and also considered changing profession. I have since joined another LA AND enjoy my job.

Great department to work in - Economic Development!

Everyone from the senior management right through to the cleaners who work here were all fantastic. It was a great place to work and gave me the job satisfaction which others jobs have failed to do. In Economic Development, specifically, the team are dynamic in their approach and operate like the private sector. They really do want to make a genuine difference within the locally economy. Thanks for the support whilst in your employ, Wakefield Council.

One rule for one another for everyone else

I've been in and out of employment with Wakefield Council for sometime now. Managers are a disgrace and like to gang up on their employees, never missing a chance to enter a meeting unrelated to them to kill some time. Managers openly discuss employee's at their desks despite the office being open-plan. If you're every sick at Wakefield Council make sure you don't just ring in for one day as they count occurrences not days here. When discussing health problems with your managers or senior manager make sure you keep it confidential, they don't have to know no matter how much they're hounding you. When I was on sick my manager and senior manager would often phone me despite me already ringing in sick, quite clearly because they didn't believe me. They'd request information from my GP making me re-visit GPs despite just going. The phone calls were relentless as if they were trying to catch me out or something despite me genuinely being ill. I had disclosed that I suffer from a number of problems and stated this when joining and had multiple discussions between me and my line manager. Even when I returned to work they'd still request sick notes up until the point I decided to Union involved, then they all of a sudden decided my 3 DAY! sickness was actually legit and stopped asking questions. Had numerous problems when starting up... Work load will never be reduced even if you complain to your manager, managers like to book and attend as many meetings as possible to avoid work. Often was left by myself to answer phones in a team of a dozen.

Pros

Benefits / Apprenticeship System

Cons

Managers group together to bully employees out

Some great teams but systems need improving

Team are supportive however the systems/ procedures in place needs much improvements. The current climate is high pressured due to the rapid changes.

Pros

team work

Cons

pressures

Good work place

Overall a good place to work. Good lifestyle balance. Keep your head down and get on with your work and you will be fine. A good bunch of colleague's to work with and management ok .. had worse. Once you are in with the council, you can apply for internal posts too which come up regular

Pros

Good worklife balance

Cons

Flexi shifts

Worked for Wakefield Cuncil for 3 years, 1 as an apprentice and 2 for Health Improvement.

When I first joined Wakefield Council I joined as an Apprentice in the Public Health team, this was a really rewarding experience and I enjoyed my time at Wakefield Council up until the point I switched teams to Health Improvement. There were constant problems including problems with recording sickness, pay & poor communication between staff and management. Most of their employees are nice and well educated people however there is a lot of discussion about Employees between Management. Felt like my problems were never between me and my line management as other colleagues unrelated to our team knew about personal issues. Never accept a role within this department if they off you "Career Graded Pay" this is something they do to young new comers that allows them to pay you less for the work you do up until they decide you deserve more, I was waiting around 2 years for this. I was on career grade because I wasn't qualified enough for my role, despite passing my Apprenticeship. They did not further my education whilst there or even keep record of when upcoming Career Graded Pay meetings were due. Management is okay but has various problems internally, the most senior manager suffers a weight problem however likes to publicly bully/educate others on what they're eating. Team is very talkative and doesn't work well together. Often felt isolated at work as Management wouldn't interact with me, waited 6 months before I complained about this... This was some how my fault even though the same manager had other 1:1's with Employees during this time. In summary: Do not work -

Pros

Leaving Work

Cons

Too much communication when on Sick.

Too many chiefs not enough indians

Lovely team of hardworking people,very helpful towards each other,in fact if it wasn't for the team helping each other then customer service would collapse because they employ team leaders that can't answer a question you ask because they don't know the system!!what a joke!!they have been there that long that they think it's ok to talk to people like trash! They don't have a training program in place it's a case of what shall we cover today!my advice would be to get rid of the team leaders that are literally getting paid for nothing (not all of them are bad),and look after the team they've got.Lucky escape I reckon when I jumped ship.

Pros

Can't think of one

Cons

Rubbish shifts

Good place to work, very secure job and good management. Flexi working is very good for the work / life balance. Enjoyed the team and the job that I was doing.

Great place to work but short on funding

Supporting and monitoring over 350 servers in the infrastructure. Good training opportunities Excellent team members and management team Good work life balance

Good staff but senior management are a disgrace

Enjoyed working with my fellow colleagues but the HR and senior management are all bully boys hiding behind policies and have no respect for staff members

Lack of communication

Working within Wakefield Council has a lot of good points, however there is a severe lack of communication between management. Also if on agency contract you can struggle to get feedback and secure interviews. Some management can be quite trying and are hard to communicate with. The staff I have worked with in the offices have been brilliant and very friendly and welcoming.

Pros

Set contracted hours

Cons

Lack of communication, uncertainty

Senior management team awful

Senior staff so clicky. If your face fits or you agree with whatever they say you will be fine. They don't do nothing to help people who are bullied and pushed out by senior management and god help you if you speak out.Dont bother applying as it's like old boys network. Bunch of backstabbers

Pros

Decent wage

Cons

Senior management team. To many of them being paid to be useless

Senior Technical Clerical Officer

Good working environment, great work/life balance including great holiday entitlement and flexi time working provision. Management are also fairly accommodating as long as you're not daft about it.

Pros

hour long lunch times

Cons

Hard to fire people so you always get the bad apples that are hard to get rid of.

great job - management and hr are bullies

I worked for wakey council for a short while, whilst the job was fantastic, management where weak (carried out hr's bully boy tactics), hr are a set of pen pushers who do nothing but bully people for committing minor errors Loved the job - hated the organisation - they still cant fill my old position

Pros

job varity

Cons

everything else

Very "clicky" but if the face fits it's enjoyable place to work

The council looks after the wrong people I'm afraid. Management varies from one department to another, lack of communication from officers and departmental directors. I left as the job insecurity was the main issue due to budget cuts and fed up of seeing the deadwood still in a job.

Pros

Good pay and pension.

Cons

Lack of job security these days

good place to work

I worked for Wakefield council for 21 years and overall it was a good place to be good work colleagues good management many years of job security obviously not all tasks were to our liking but you have to put up with the good and bad but in comparison to other companies cannot fault.

Pros

job security good work collegues

Cons

dirty jobs sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wakefield Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement