Wakefield Council logo

Wakefield Council Work-life balance reviews

Clear
Work-life balance
Pay & benefits

Enjoy my job but communication needs working on .

Good pay . Be prepared to be passed around when first start ..But this adds to different experiences you come across .Nice to meet different people . Plenty of courses to do while doing your job.

Lovely place to work

Well led and managed, good work life balance and brilliant team work. No nasty office politics, really supportive and productive colleagues and managers.

Pros

Amazing teamwork

Good work place

Overall a good place to work. Good lifestyle balance. Keep your head down and get on with your work and you will be fine. A good bunch of colleague's to work with and management ok .. had worse. Once you are in with the council, you can apply for internal posts too which come up regular

Pros

Good worklife balance

Cons

Flexi shifts

Electrical Engineering

Excellent Job, I met all my deadlines and tasks got completed to a high standard. overall the company was happy with the electrical work I had done for them.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Long Hours

Good place to work, very secure job and good management. Flexi working is very good for the work / life balance. Enjoyed the team and the job that I was doing.

Great place to work but short on funding

Supporting and monitoring over 350 servers in the infrastructure. Good training opportunities Excellent team members and management team Good work life balance

Leisure attendant

If you’re face fits you will do great. Mostly family that are there get priority. If you have an issue can’t report it bullies get promoted! Way to go! Wage is good but not worth the hassle and lack of progression of not in the in crowd

Pros

Pension

Cons

Long hours short breaks

Enjoyed my time here but fancy a change

Wakefield council has always been good to me. Just fancy a change. Childcare has always been an issue with me. Working long hours have meant that it's been difficult for me to pick my child up. My daughter is older now so it's not an issue anymore.

Pros

Sickness paid

Cons

Long hours, so made it hard with childcare for me

Senior Technical Clerical Officer

Good working environment, great work/life balance including great holiday entitlement and flexi time working provision. Management are also fairly accommodating as long as you're not daft about it.

Pros

hour long lunch times

Cons

Hard to fire people so you always get the bad apples that are hard to get rid of.

Teaching - no work life balance

Some schools managed brilliantly well and staff are well supported, whilst others are managed terribly with no consideration to staff and very little support given. Great working with the children, if teaching was about teaching children - the job would be brilliant, but too much in the way of politics, box ticking and paperwork has now ruined what should be a fantastic profession. No longer about teaching children, it is more about wanting children to fit into boxes and ticking boxes for the government. Ridiculous workload often 60 hr wks make the pay not very good.

Pros

Great to work with children

Cons

Very long hours

Not Good

The wakefield council doesnt offer a lot of work at all. I did a lifeguard qualification last year and only have worked a handful of times, bearing in mind the couse costed £250.

Pros

Working with nice people

Cons

Not enough work

Great employer

Good company to work for shame about job security. Good day to day responsibilities and great people to work with. I enjoyed my time working here.

Colleagues are good work with

Each day is different and you learn as you go along in this team. Enjoy the work I do which is quite varied and keeps you motivated.

Pros

Flexi

Cons

No promotion within the Council

productive

working hours 6-2 2-10 monday to friday i was a team leader not a bad place to work every weekend of packing yorkshire puddings

Delivering excellent services within limited budgets

Delivering excellent services within limited budgets. Good work life balance and staff benefits Helping the most vulnerable in our society to lead a normal life

Local Government Authority

A pay freeze has been in effect since 2008 and will last another 5 or 6 years. I have lost at least £3,008 from below inflation pay rises in the last four years and am set to lose another £506 this year. Whilst working for the employer has been basically good the job and pay no longer sustain me and there is no Job satisfaction anymore. Which is a shame as i have been with the company for ten years. This is the hardest part of the job.

Pros

Good work life/balance

Cons

Inadequate salary

Productive fun workplace

A typical session would entail one hour of five aside football followed by another hour of roller skating for the young people, from being apart of Wakefield Councils youth service I have been able to build my communication skills to a standard where I feel comfortable working with anyone. The co-workers are second to none and I can always rely on them to show me guidance or point me in the right direction, The hardest part of the job has to be managing the behaviour of the young people.

Pros

Good work environment

Was sad to leave

Worked on a variety of systems, hard part was lack of documentation on some of the smaller older systems. Being able to talk to end users and make a real difference to their day to day working life was the best.

A great place to work. What was my dream job at the gae of 16

A great place to work, unfortunately government cut backs have impacted on many council services, leisure being one of them. Redeployment within the council produced little or no opportunity to remain with the authority, early retirement and a change of employer and possible career direction being my best option. I worked at Minsthorpe Pool for over 40 years from the age of 16. I believe that sums up my commitment and loyalty to both my employer and my work colleagues.

Reliable employer

The council was a very stable job which I was happy to have been a part of.

Pros

good working hours

Cons

council downsizing