Wandsworth Borough Council

Wandsworth Borough Council Employee Reviews

Interesting and enjoyable work

I was employed as a parks constable and was sworn in the office of constable by a magistrate, the training was in house and was very intense and had exams to pass at the end of training. The work colleagues were great and helped each other all the time when needed but when you work for a council there are politics involved with the running of the service and that comes at a cost when central government make cuts so I was made redundant in 2012 due to cuts. I loved my job at Wandsworth I enjoyed going to work everyday and would still be there if the cuts did not happen.

Pros

Good pay, leave and conditions

Cons

Politics

Wonderfull job and wonderful people

While doing my role to my utmost there was still time to bond with excellent colleagues. The work at hand may be harrowing at times your colleagues will support you.

Ever changing goal-posts

Constant staff reviews, mean cuts. Poor resources and development opportunities scarce. Hours are fairly standard in office based roles. Culture is fairly mundane and not innovative. Good to work for people that need you.

Job working at Wandsworth Borough Council

The job was one where there was a great deal of variety ranging from drafting letters,answering phones sorting mail, mail merging etc Also had to do invoicing of requisition for payment and recorded delivery.

Fine place to work

Fine place to work. No huge negatives. Some turnover of staff. Difficulties come from problems in local government not in Wandsworth itself. Tough but reasonable.

Hospital Social Work

Wandsworth Borough Council provided a working culture which valued the Continual Professional Development of its employees. Structures and protocols were clear and the leadership team approachable.

Pros

Values its employees

Cons

IT system

employment security

working with tenants with various issues from repairs to rents. organising of empty dwellings for new tenants. it was enjoyable as the workload was always varied. the hardest part was sometimes tenants were not always 100% happy

Pros

employment security and varied roles

Cons

travel

fun atomshere

i really enjoyed my time there. the staff where very encoruaging and made mw feel like i fitted right in. i have some grat memories still am in contact with them.

Wbc

The job was varied so there was never a typical day at work. I enjoyed the challenges, working with the teams and their great work ethic. The hardest part of the job was the outsourcing to another contractor and watching a great in-house service being decimated unnecessarily.

Pros

Flexible working, good salary, great colleagues and good holiday allowance.

Cons

The reduction of staff numbers

Wonderful Team, Poor Senior Mangement

Working at Wandsworth was a pleasure because of my team. Sad i can not say the same about the Senior Mangers. Each day was different which made the work enjoyable as you are constantly learning.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wandsworth Borough Council?

Ok Place to Work

Overall, I really enjoyed working at WBC, everyone is friendly and I have met some amazing people. I cannot say a bad thing at working for the council.

Very Strong Team Ethics

Very easy going team of people to work with. all of which have a common goal in mind. Organisation and the level of knowlegde held by the members of the team i work within is vast and varied.

Good organisation to work for.

Lovely team to work for, remained an employee for many years - good work/life balance. Rewarding experience and excellent employer. Only left employment due to relocation.

Pros

flexible working, company pension scheme

Cons

red tape

Challenging but supportive environment

Wandsworth social services is going through a lot of changes at this time which can be challenging for staff and service users. However there are many committed and hard working staff and some supportive managers in post, I was lucky to have encouraging and dedicated supervisors in my roles. I left my role due to a change in location but would otherwise have stayed.

Pros

Supportive supervisors, commitment to training

Cons

Quick staff turnover

Summer Job

I only worked here during the summer holidays whilst at at school in year 10 temporarily and I thoroughly enjoyed my time here and the vital early experience I gained. The team were always very supportive and helpful.

Pros

Free tea and coffee

Cons

None from me

Advisor

I was first point of contact for Adult Social Services and no 2 days were ever the same. My role involved creating referrals for further support for adults.

Alderbrook Primary

Think twice about applying for teaching positions at this school. It is a single form entry and the work load is horrendous. The management team is unprofessional and can be very vindictive if your face does not fit. Because of the small size of the teaching team, staff are often "bullied" into taking on board additional duties: compulsory after school clubs, prescriptive rules on school displays and an expectation that teachers work weekends. High staff turn over is evidence enough.

Pros

Cpd

Cons

See comments

Productinve and challenging environment

Work starts 8:00 and ends 18:00 with break from 12:00 to 14:00. Learned to manage clients and suppliers; first hand experience of purchasing and stock control. Co-workers responsive and willing. Embedding best practices and new approaches to work were the hardest part of job. The most enjoyable part of job was planning and evaluating operations.

Pros

Experience gained in commercial environment

Cons

Worked half days on Saturdays

WBC is a good place to work. Great staff benefits!

My tipical days at work are very hectic and unpredictable. This can be very stressful, as well as great fun. Whilst working for WBC I have learnt a lot: it is a place that gives great opportunities for learning and development. My colleagues are very supportive and helpful.

Pros

Staff benefits and discounts. 31 days annual leave.

Cons

No job progression.

Good supportive company for progression and personal growth.

A pleasant place to work with regular career reviews with management to progress projects and highlight any issues. Good training and support particularly with MS Office. Hardest part of job was that there were certain 'pinch points' where longer hours were required to perform the job duties to a satisfactory conclusion.

Pros

Flexible working hours for work life balance

Cons

travelling to inner London and no parking

very fun and relaxed work place.

The day at the office would always start of with a cup of coffee, I enjoy catching up with colleagues and finding out how their night/weekend went. Throughout the day my manger would assign me tasks to complete with various customers e.g. swap out broken monitor, and then it would be up to me to arrange times with the customer to complete the task, baring in mind my other calls and arrangements i have made with other customers. My co-workers were very supportive and would always help me out with problems I had, as finding a call i couldn't complete was the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part was participating in Lunchtime football my colleagues arranged, this help bonding and friendship.
  • Wandsworth Borough Council