Wandsworth Borough Council

Wandsworth Borough Council Employee Reviews

I was employed as a parks constable and was sworn in the office of constable by a magistrate, the training was in house and was very intense and had exams to pass at the end of training. The work colleagues were great and helped each other all the time when needed but when you work for a council there are politics involved with the running of the service and that comes at a cost when central government make cuts so I was made redundant in 2012 due to cuts. I loved my job at Wandsworth I enjoyed going to work everyday and would still be there if the cuts did not happen.
Pros
Good pay, leave and conditions
Cons
Politics
While doing my role to my utmost there was still time to bond with excellent colleagues. The work at hand may be harrowing at times your colleagues will support you.
Constant staff reviews, mean cuts. Poor resources and development opportunities scarce. Hours are fairly standard in office based roles. Culture is fairly mundane and not innovative. Good to work for people that need you.
The job was one where there was a great deal of variety ranging from drafting letters,answering phones sorting mail, mail merging etc Also had to do invoicing of requisition for payment and recorded delivery.
Fine place to work. No huge negatives. Some turnover of staff. Difficulties come from problems in local government not in Wandsworth itself. Tough but reasonable.
Wandsworth Borough Council provided a working culture which valued the Continual Professional Development of its employees. Structures and protocols were clear and the leadership team approachable.
Pros
Values its employees
Cons
IT system
working with tenants with various issues from repairs to rents. organising of empty dwellings for new tenants. it was enjoyable as the workload was always varied. the hardest part was sometimes tenants were not always 100% happy
Pros
employment security and varied roles
Cons
travel
i really enjoyed my time there. the staff where very encoruaging and made mw feel like i fitted right in. i have some grat memories still am in contact with them.
The job was varied so there was never a typical day at work. I enjoyed the challenges, working with the teams and their great work ethic. The hardest part of the job was the outsourcing to another contractor and watching a great in-house service being decimated unnecessarily.
Pros
Flexible working, good salary, great colleagues and good holiday allowance.
Cons
The reduction of staff numbers
Working at Wandsworth was a pleasure because of my team. Sad i can not say the same about the Senior Mangers. Each day was different which made the work enjoyable as you are constantly learning.
Overall, I really enjoyed working at WBC, everyone is friendly and I have met some amazing people. I cannot say a bad thing at working for the council.
Very easy going team of people to work with. all of which have a common goal in mind. Organisation and the level of knowlegde held by the members of the team i work within is vast and varied.
Lovely team to work for, remained an employee for many years - good work/life balance. Rewarding experience and excellent employer. Only left employment due to relocation.
Pros
flexible working, company pension scheme
Cons
red tape
Wandsworth social services is going through a lot of changes at this time which can be challenging for staff and service users. However there are many committed and hard working staff and some supportive managers in post, I was lucky to have encouraging and dedicated supervisors in my roles. I left my role due to a change in location but would otherwise have stayed.
Pros
Supportive supervisors, commitment to training
Cons
Quick staff turnover
I only worked here during the summer holidays whilst at at school in year 10 temporarily and I thoroughly enjoyed my time here and the vital early experience I gained. The team were always very supportive and helpful.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
None from me
I was first point of contact for Adult Social Services and no 2 days were ever the same. My role involved creating referrals for further support for adults.
Think twice about applying for teaching positions at this school. It is a single form entry and the work load is horrendous. The management team is unprofessional and can be very vindictive if your face does not fit. Because of the small size of the teaching team, staff are often "bullied" into taking on board additional duties: compulsory after school clubs, prescriptive rules on school displays and an expectation that teachers work weekends. High staff turn over is evidence enough.
Pros
Cpd
Cons
See comments
Work starts 8:00 and ends 18:00 with break from 12:00 to 14:00. Learned to manage clients and suppliers; first hand experience of purchasing and stock control. Co-workers responsive and willing. Embedding best practices and new approaches to work were the hardest part of job. The most enjoyable part of job was planning and evaluating operations.
Pros
Experience gained in commercial environment
Cons
Worked half days on Saturdays
My tipical days at work are very hectic and unpredictable. This can be very stressful, as well as great fun. Whilst working for WBC I have learnt a lot: it is a place that gives great opportunities for learning and development. My colleagues are very supportive and helpful.
Pros
Staff benefits and discounts. 31 days annual leave.
Cons
No job progression.
A pleasant place to work with regular career reviews with management to progress projects and highlight any issues. Good training and support particularly with MS Office. Hardest part of job was that there were certain 'pinch points' where longer hours were required to perform the job duties to a satisfactory conclusion.
Pros
Flexible working hours for work life balance
Cons
travelling to inner London and no parking
The day at the office would always start of with a cup of coffee, I enjoy catching up with colleagues and finding out how their night/weekend went. Throughout the day my manger would assign me tasks to complete with various customers e.g. swap out broken monitor, and then it would be up to me to arrange times with the customer to complete the task, baring in mind my other calls and arrangements i have made with other customers. My co-workers were very supportive and would always help me out with problems I had, as finding a call i couldn't complete was the hardest part of my job. The most enjoyable part was participating in Lunchtime football my colleagues arranged, this help bonding and friendship.