Wandsworth Borough Council

Wandsworth Borough Council Culture reviews

Clear

Interesting and enjoyable work

I was employed as a parks constable and was sworn in the office of constable by a magistrate, the training was in house and was very intense and had exams to pass at the end of training. The work colleagues were great and helped each other all the time when needed but when you work for a council there are politics involved with the running of the service and that comes at a cost when central government make cuts so I was made redundant in 2012 due to cuts. I loved my job at Wandsworth I enjoyed going to work everyday and would still be there if the cuts did not happen.

Pros

Good pay, leave and conditions

Cons

Politics

Wonderfull job and wonderful people

While doing my role to my utmost there was still time to bond with excellent colleagues. The work at hand may be harrowing at times your colleagues will support you.

Ever changing goal-posts

Constant staff reviews, mean cuts. Poor resources and development opportunities scarce. Hours are fairly standard in office based roles. Culture is fairly mundane and not innovative. Good to work for people that need you.

Hospital Social Work

Wandsworth Borough Council provided a working culture which valued the Continual Professional Development of its employees. Structures and protocols were clear and the leadership team approachable.

Pros

Values its employees

Cons

IT system

Wbc

The job was varied so there was never a typical day at work. I enjoyed the challenges, working with the teams and their great work ethic. The hardest part of the job was the outsourcing to another contractor and watching a great in-house service being decimated unnecessarily.

Pros

Flexible working, good salary, great colleagues and good holiday allowance.

Cons

The reduction of staff numbers

Wonderful Team, Poor Senior Mangement

Working at Wandsworth was a pleasure because of my team. Sad i can not say the same about the Senior Mangers. Each day was different which made the work enjoyable as you are constantly learning.

Ok Place to Work

Overall, I really enjoyed working at WBC, everyone is friendly and I have met some amazing people. I cannot say a bad thing at working for the council.

Very Strong Team Ethics

Very easy going team of people to work with. all of which have a common goal in mind. Organisation and the level of knowlegde held by the members of the team i work within is vast and varied.

Challenging but supportive environment

Wandsworth social services is going through a lot of changes at this time which can be challenging for staff and service users. However there are many committed and hard working staff and some supportive managers in post, I was lucky to have encouraging and dedicated supervisors in my roles. I left my role due to a change in location but would otherwise have stayed.

Pros

Supportive supervisors, commitment to training

Cons

Quick staff turnover

WBC is a good place to work. Great staff benefits!

My tipical days at work are very hectic and unpredictable. This can be very stressful, as well as great fun. Whilst working for WBC I have learnt a lot: it is a place that gives great opportunities for learning and development. My colleagues are very supportive and helpful.

Pros

Staff benefits and discounts. 31 days annual leave.

Cons

No job progression.

Very Interesting

Every day was different and full on; there was always loads to get through so it was dependent on your organisational and time-management skills to get through the various tasks. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was being part of the team that improved the quality of life for so many residents! The hardest part of the job was having to let some people down and/or give them bad news following their enquiry.

Pros

Beautiful Scenery

Cons

Lone working