Warburtons logo
Warburtons
Happiness score is 54 out of 100Below average

Warburtons Employee Reviews

Hard work

Great company to work with good benefits and a great pension.. uniform comfortable to.wear and the lorries are very good too drive. Serviced well. All very professional

Pros

Good pension scheme

Cons

Early start

A decent place to work.

From my experience this is a decent place to work, well paid and fairly easy going. The job comes with plenty of benefits, well maintained trucks with a decent enough management team!

Pros

Annual profit bonus, life insurance, discount products and early finshes

Cons

Early starts

Enjoyable and rewarding workplace

As a driver you will start your shift at 4am. You will be on a route you are comfortable with and have previously learned. I have very rarely seen a driver go out on a route blind, and if that was the case the driver e-pod system we use has a working, reliable Sat-Nav. The job becomes very familiar. I have always said it feels like a well paid 'Paper round'. In a sense that the route and the people you interact with daily, hardly change. As a new starter you will be 'buddied' up for 3 weeks at least, learning a route in which will be yours for a good few months at least. Until the rota allows you to learn another. Management are very approachable and help new starters as much as they can through the first few weeks of training. The hardest part of the job has to be the picking you are required to do often before you depart the depot. Though this is only a small amount, for a new starter it may be quite daunting. as the weeks progress you get quicker and quicker though. There are many perks to the job, in short these are; the pay, the continuity, the customers and the knowing you are working for one of the biggest brands in the UK.

Pros

Pay, discounted crumpets, regular routes

Cons

Early starts

Management don't care

The management don't care about you, as long as the bread gets delivered. Some drivers will finish at 10am everyday, however others are out til 1pm. Rotas will be changed and they don't even tell you. 4am start but more often than not the bread or paperwork won't be ready so you have to wait around until they are.

Pros

Cheap bread, other drivers are decent

Cons

4am starts, change routes often, heavy workload

Speke depot. Good when you know how to do the job

The job is great once you learn how to do it. When you can pick fast and work fast it is job and knock. When you work hard and fast you get an early finish. I do absolutely maximum 40 hours.for good money. This is not a job for someone who wants to sit on there ….if you work fast your home by 12:00 easy . Don’t be put off by other comments this is a good solid secure job good money and pension.

Pros

Cheap bread .pension. Early finish.

Cons

Rolling rota . 4:00 am starts

Proud to be

Everyone is really friendly, it has been easy to assimilate into the team because of how brilliant the culture is within the business. The work is challenging, but there is plenty of support as well as learning and development tools to use both in the form of managerial help and online help sheets that aid in professional development to get the job done well and right. I find I enjoy my day and that is in equal parts down to the team and the work there is to do.

Awful Speke depot moving to Widnes

During your training they will make out they are a amazing company. They tell you that you will have your own route. You won’t. As soon as your off your training they will send you out on routes you have no idea where your going. Most sat navs are broken. Won’t pay you after 1300 even if it’s not your fault your late. Supposed to be job and knock but they will send you back out. Constant moaning about times you were at shops and how you drove the truck. Low moral everyone rushes around to get out in the morning. A lot of picking to do for your load. Once the bread is loaded you need to strap it to other bread baskets because they squeeze as much on as possible which 9 Times out of 10 the bread basket you strapped the load to snaps and your load ends up all over the back of the truck. Awful shift pattern. It’s mainly 4 on 2 but u get 3 weeks of 5 on 1 every couple of weeks. 1 weekend off in 7. Say good bye to any social life. Avoid this place. Don’t let the money tempt you. It won’t take long till you realise it’s not work it.

Pros

Cons

Pretty my all of it

Official response from Warburtons

14 July 2021
Our Speke depot is a temporary site whilst we await the opening of our newly built Distribution Depot in Widnes, it’s really exciting times for us! Thank you for your review of your time with us, we’d pleased to have the opportunity to answer some of the points you’ve raised about what it’s like to be a Driver at Warburtons.One point we really would like to make clear from your review that this role is NOT "job and knock" this is a full-time Multi-drop delivery driver position employed by Warburtons Distribution team to support in the supply of our products directly to our retail customers.This job isn't for everyone, we're very open and honest about our shift pattern and the role requirements and even before a driver has an interview they will have a minimum of three calls with the Driver recruitment team to ensure they fully understand what the job entails. Our Drivers deliver our freshly-baked products to our Customers early in the morning and are on the road from 4am daily; we manufacture 24/7, 364 days of the year. The mornings are incredibly busy and a distribution centre is a hive of activity. Each driver will be given a route daily, this may change with customer orders or business need. Over the years our Drivers will have built customer relationships and established themselves in the local routes. New drivers will pick up a variety of routes whilst they establish themselves, learn about the business, understand the job, which is to be expected. We make no apology for monitoring driver performance, we are committed to Health & Safety and never compromise on -

Good place to work but regional managers/directors need to keep up with changes

Absolutely loved working here at the start. The team leaders are great and supportive. Look after us well and treat us fair. "part of the family" was always mentioned, and it did feel that way. Since taking on the Co-Op contact, work has increased considerably, since we have to pick the majority of our drops, this has made our days even longer. It was expected the first few weeks to be hard, but it's been a couple months now and although some routes have gotten better, others haven't. The route owners who seem to complain the most seem to have gotten it easier with more drops picked for them whilst other routes have been completely neglected. The driver shortage has resulted in wasting a whole truck load of bread on a daily basis as there is no driver to take the routes out and so many routes are regularly left on the floor. When I asked what the company plans to do to gets drivers, they had no answers apart from waiting for the drivers to come. I suggested increasing the wages to attract drivers, as a lot of companies who use class 2 drivers have increased their driver salaries by 10%-30% within a 15 mile radius of the depot. However, the people who decides the wages believe that a >2% payrise is satisfactory. A lot of drivers are now leaving due to the increase in work with, and other jobs for more money with added benefits of not starting at 3am and not working weekends. This company was one of the best paying wages, considering we have very early starts and working 5 out of 7 weekends, the work wasn't so stressful and the hours were nice. But now there's added -

Pros

Discounted range of breads. Pension scheme

Cons

Wages no longer competitive. Working longer hours too close to the 10 hours WTD

Ok as a stop gap

Warburtons used to be brilliant to work for but sadly the times have changed. Your day consists of starting between 3:15 - 3:30 grabbing keys and papper work then off to do vehicle checks and begin picking then finally loading . Your day used to consist of roughly 7- 9 hours but since they started delivering the coop and one stop bread this is a thing of the past - 14:00 finishes and later are now the norm. The lorries are now filled front to back with bread leaving you little room to pick on the road . Depending on route, you will be picking 10+ shops which takes ages when they normally have a stack of bread minimum each . Trunkers are often late in with bread meaning you're always going out late and getting back late with no overtime being payed. Management seem disinterested with helping with the excessive work loads and general act like your lazy or slow if you come back past midday.The work involved is back breaking having to lift 100s of trays a day whilst needing to be an octopus to stand any chance of picking shops orders quickly enough to get back before 14:00.There's seems to be a favouritism culture going on as well with certain individuals been given 15 drop route to do whilst others consistently been given 25-35 drop routes . It's depressing knowing we all get payed the same but some blokes are barely doing 35 hours a week whilst others are doing 50 !The rota needs addressing , at the moment you get 2 weekends off in 7. You also get a single day off in the week twice in the 7 weeks Which isn't enough to recover from the onslaught of stress on your body lifting -

Pros

50p bread

Cons

Work is easy when you start as you are doubled up, then you are thrown in and expected to deliver and get on with it.

Middle and senior managers leave alot to be desired. Some been with the company to long are never going to progress and take great delight in targeting individuals they take a dislike to and endeavour to work them out of the business.

Pros

When you finish you go home

Cons

Long hours on some routes

Jobs at Warburtons

See more jobs

Good workplace

I would still be working here if it wasn’t for the shift patterns. We got 1 weekend off in 7 which was the only reason I moved on . The management team were good and the rest of the guys were good lads

Pros

Early start early finish

Cons

Shift patterns

Driver

Great company very understanding and helpful when needed time off. easy to get on with other staff and office staff very helpful and can have good laugh. Rota not best but easily finishes

Pros

Weekly paid job and finish

Cons

Work patterns

Avoid like the plague

The job itself is easy. The management, who are promoted through length of service and not merit, are awful. Family bakers my a***. You’re just a number. They hire family over people who can do the job. Even 1 of the managers dads chucked it because it was so bad. Don’t bother. You’ll only regret it.

Pros

Cons

Working for thieves

Good.

I don't like write to much.Nothing to add. Good placegood People, good managers, not old vehicles, single and double decker.I will try come I. again when the Depot Manager change.

Draining

One of the worst company's I worked for most people put you down.Workers are fed up an negative they don't want to help you but watch you fail.If you don't fit in they want you out.

Pros

Wages

Cons

Nights

Good company.

Salaried job and finish.not so good now new contact.with Coop.almost 12 hour days paid for 8.5.big turnover of staff..moral low.hard work lots of manual picking of orders .management some helpful some not.

Pros

Cheap bread.bonus at Christmas.

Cons

Long hours salaried.

Good Family Values

Traditional family run business with excellent values, very pro training and structured with insights into all areas of the business.If they had a suitable job available, I would love to work there again!

Pros

Discount on products

Cons

Unsocial hours at times

A great company to work for

Warburtons is a great company to work for , easy job and easy money , But the only thing I can say is If your not one for getting out of bed really early this isn’t the job for you , but on the plus side it’s job and knock , once you finish your round you go home and have the afternoon and evening

Pros

Good pay, easy job

Cons

Early mornings

A work with such a well structured professionalism exhibited. With WARBURTONS you can explore and experience different areas or environment to work and learn.

Pros

Pay less for a loaf

Cons

Work here if you have no life outside of work

Typical day would start at 4am get keys and lines for shop orders, go find the route your on make some orders and head out. Dont belive the 5over 7 there working week is a sunday to saturday so youll do 6 days and 1 day off then maybe anther 5days for 1 day off then 3 or 4 days working for 2 days off, place is going to kill someone management dont care, it is job and finish so some guys start at 4 and finished by 9am others its more like 11-12before you finish, its not all as great as its made out to be, 6 weeks training not a chance if you get 3 weeks youll be doing well. Hoildays can only take full weeks, cant take single days, just look up the accidents in the last 6 months, but long as the bread is delivered. They are always needing drivers to work overtime move shifts about if drivers call in sick vans are taking off the road, if you do overtime which is on whennon your hoildays its time and a half ONLY THING FAMILY ABOUT WARBURTONS IS THE NAME OTHER THAN THAT IT MEANS NOTHING

Pros

Cheap bread

Cons

Longs ours, just a number, they havent got a clue

Very relaxed and good place to work

Really enjoyed my time at warburtons and will be sad to go but couldn’t turn down a new opportunity. All management are very good and easy to speak to about anything. All drivers are helpful. It’s very early mornings but you finish around dinner time and the pay is excellent.

Pros

Excellent pay, management are great, co-workers are helpful, early finish

Cons

Very early start, lots of weekends in

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Warburtons. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement