Wates

Wates Employee Reviews

Sometimes stressful to get work completed on time, at busy periods. Some lovely people, who were supportive if they had time to help. Respectful to me.
Pros
Free drinks
Some departments are more enjoyable to work than others. Senior management team changed 2 years ago as did the company so a different outlook for all !
Pros
Good package and cafe on site
Cons
Depends on your manager
each day i had to make sure that staff new exactly what they had to do, which was the same every day. make sure that they were on time. dealing with problems if and when they arouse, Like staff off sick or on holidays. and making sure that the cleaning standards were met
Hand tools yes buy hour own , power tools company should provide but dont , company with billions want buy you a drill to do a job they are getting paid for, power tools brake they should pay but dont , calabration of tools which are yours used for company work they should pay but dont .
Pros
Its a jobs
Cons
Not a good job
Unfortunately there is no inclusive culture across the business and the way offices are run vary drastically depending on senior management. It can be a sexist environment to work in.On a plus side hey do offer excellent training and have quite good benefits.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Sexist
I lost my brother during the initial covid 19 sudden death had no support from this company I lost the plot for a short period and couldn't communicate with any one as we could not have a funeral as such. I eventually contacted Wates to explain I had depression and mental health due to sudden bereavement and lock down working from home. I was called into the office on the pretence of looking at my performance during the 4 months I was working for them 3 months at home and was dismissed for breaking sickness procedures despite my situation being very upsetting. Would not recommend you work for them also 42.5 hours pw 30 mins lunch plus your commute mine equated to 50 hrs pw for 20,000 per year disgusting
Pros
Nice work colleagues
Cons
Long hours bullying senior manager
Experiences will vary dependent on which division you are employed within. Projects vary in size and nature, however the work streams are based around different divisions and there are little opportunities to move across divisions to gain experiences of the whole Group
Pros
fair salary / bonus
Cons
Long hours, tough targets
My time at Wates was very productive. I learnt a lot and was pleased with my performance level which was largely thanks to having wonderful trainer and working colleague's who helped me when needed.This was just the type of exprience I needed to progress further in my career.
Pros
Training very good and professional.
Cons
Found that my team leader could have been more polite, however other colleagues were superb and helpful and friendly.
The top people look after themselves and not the people who get the job done if you do not have the right man to do the work The company must look after who Do the work
Pros
A fair to work for
Cons
Wates is a fast paced forward thinking company that prides itself on H&S and delivering for the client needs. Wates strives to look after their personnel and the health and well being.
A positive, busy and respectful working environment. Founded in the best family values but equally modern and imaginative. If you're not familiar with construction and the built environment, please don't be put off - it's a fascinating world, and there's so much more opportunity than just building sites.
I worked as a painter .I like the work I do..I worked, midland decorator''tol .decora ,, I worked at wates in birmingham center .wates is a company the best
They were fantastic very helpful. Staff were very welcoming and I would definitely be recommending them to my friends in the future. Gained a lot of skills.
Wates is more of a management company, where they bring you in and offer 0 guidance, all the senior managers have ego problems, you are offered 0 support, they will throw money at a problem without taking time out to solve any issues pragmatically. You will go out your way for this company and they will just throw you to the side when they feel you are not needed anymore, also senior managers are racist and if you do not fit the bill you will not be liked regardless of how good you are at your job, full time jobs only given to those who suck up to managers regardless if they know 0 about the work, probably stay away if you want something long term.
Corporate and less people orientated than they were. Not interested in the individual. HR is a tick box operation which was little to no help when I was ill. Though there are various assistance groups they were literally offered on a piece of paper.
Pros
Benefit package is good
Cons
Expectations on the individual is too high
Working for wates was fun but challenging. There’s a great team throughout my time and gained valuable management experience and knowledge while working for wates.
A pressured but enjoyable experience where everyone pulls in the same direction. Full support from management and a desire to deliver projects on time and within budget
Working with wates is a lot of fun they are strict on health and safety also on people wearing PPE. However everyone is a laugh and there are some great characters that are subcontracted to wates that you can have fun on site with.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Nights are slow at times
•Would recommend wates as a good company to work •pay reasonable •freindly management •show commitment and you will be looked after and go along way
Wates is a large company specialising is construction, it is a good place to work with the opportunity or progress. team work is very important which helps when challenges are met. Overall a good working environment
While i worked for Wates i had a great manager and foreman(s), shame that a unnamed high placed individual could not tell the difference between brick dust and plaster, part of the job i am afraid,otherwise i believe i would still be working for them.As a plasterer or any other trade you have to be clean, presentable,professional,and one of the key areas, great communication skills. Within in my role as front line staff you would meet very different people indeed. Work could be fast paced and it is always of interest to the management if you are multi-skilled in a few areas, this would certainly help in your interview.Overall i would rate Wates as one of the best companies i have worked for, work hard, keep to the schedule, you could go along way.Health and safety is very important to this firm ,on the job support and training courses are conducted in a great way,cannot fault them in this area.Just trying to be truthful in all ways, if they offered me my role back ( i was never sacked ) i would strongly consider it.
  1. Employee reviews