Wayland Games Limited

Wayland Games Limited Job security & advancement reviews

United Kingdom11 reviews

Clear
2.8Job security & advancement

Challenging at times, but rewarding to work with leaders in the industry

Working at Wayland Games can be challenging at times, but also be extremely rewarding.They are an ambitious company, growing rapidly both financially and in terms of headcount. If you are keen to work in the tabletop gaming industry, they are probably the best up-and-coming company to work for at the moment. Their manufacturing capabilities are pretty much unmatched for a company their size, and they are working on some exciting properties - it's extremely rewarding to be a part of this.The culture within the business is also very good: colleagues are generally united by a shared love of the industry, so there's always something to chat about - and it also means people tend to be more passionate about their work. The management are, in my experience, very supportive: on the (quite numerous!) occasions I encountered challenges during my working day, I could always rely on being able to talk constructively and openly with them, which was a great help.There are some things to watch out for: as a rapidly growing company, some managerial structures still need working out, and communication between departments could be better - but this is being worked on, I believe, and it was already starting improve during my time with them.Salaries can also be pretty low *on the face of it* given the demands placed on staff, but speaking from experience this is not uncommon within the tabletop gaming industry - and if you like tabletop games you might well find that the generous staff discount offsets this. Ultimately, though, talent and hard work are rewarded and if you do a good job you'll -

Pros

Interesting, growing company and a good team

Cons

Challenging targets at times

Underpaid and little career advancement

Lack of communication between departments and managers are often not there for staff. Promises are often made regarding positive changes but are rarely followed through. As a whole, the company is often unorganized with awful pay barely above minimum wage with at times a rude and abrasive CEO. Wouldn't recommend working here.

Pros

Decent hours

Cons

Very low pay, little advancement.

Insights into Wayland Games Limited

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Terrible business run by terrible people

I couldn't recommend applying to work at Wayland Games, mostly because they lie to you in order to get on-board, for example, they may tell you that they will offer you a £20-22k contract, they'll actually offer you less. They say they want your fresh ideas so that you can boost their own sales, but you bring the ideas and they tell you that isn't the "Wayland way", they will tell you that it is a "laid back" environment when in fact it wasthe most stressful job I've taken, one other thing, they might tell you that you'll be replacing a team member that will be leaving soon after you join, that particular team memeber doesn't actually leave, they boss you around to get you to do their job for them for a couple of weeks so that they can be lazy.

Pros

They did give me a company laptop so that I could work from home

Cons

They don't tell you want time you start. They don't tell you when you get paid, They didn't bother sorting an actual contract

Innovative company with great staff and managers

Wayland is a fantastic company to work for, managers listen to staff, everyone works hard and the rewards for doing so are great. The company is very forward thinking, looking at new ways of working and adapting quickly to change and taking into account people's work life balance. There is always something new and loads of opportunity to learn.

The best place I have worked, and will continue to work

I am so thankful for my job(s) at Wayland, I started as a basic operative but I have progressed through multiple departments in a comparatively short space of time, climbing up my career ladder. Each time I have been paid fairly and challenged appropriately. If you work hard, you do get rewarded which is a rare thing to say for most employers these days. The staff and workplace culture they have cultivated is just so nice and it's honestly gotten to the point where I look forward to each new day, and often it doesn't feel like work. I have so much to thank for at Wayland and I highly recommend getting a job here if you want to work hard because you will be rewarded.

Pros

Lovely staff, career progression

Cons

Slightly long hours, can be very hot downstairs in summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wayland Games Limited. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement