Wellcome Sanger Institute
Wellcome Sanger Institute Employee Review

Good place to gain experience

10 April 2020
Working for Sanger as a whole was a enjoyable experience. New skills are taught rigorously and the management is supportive of developing skills in line with the role.
2.0Job security/advancement
13 April 2021
Same role
Advanced Research Assistant (Current Employee) - DNA Pipelines
The area is stunning, especially in the summer. Huge back fields and wetlands to wonder/ jog around and escape the lab for an hour. There's an onsite gym and sports hall and huge canteen that serves international food at "reasonable" prices, (can become quite expensive if you buy food every day at work). Three onsite coffee shops (cheap coffee) and an Amazon Locker onsite. There can be a university campus vibe to the site sometimes, with regular research presentations and a Sanger Day each year where there's lots of activities and many labs stop work. There is world leading tech in most labs, but especially in downstream applications labs such as DNA pipelines, which house row after row of cutting-edge short and long read sequencers. I have worked in two teams during my time here and had radically different experiences in both. My first line manager was a great scientist, but never present, so I felt like there was nobody to guide me in my first team as they were the expert in my field, which was frustrating. When I transferred to downstream applications, my manager is honestly one of the best I have ever experienced in my work career. Very caring, supportive and encouraging and there is a brilliant team dynamic where I am; in no short part because of my line manager. There is an unusually large number of employees here that have been at Sanger for 20+ years, which I have never seen in any other place I've worked. So take from that what you will.The benefits at Sanger are just about as good as they get and with a 15% contribution from sanger to match your pension contribution - more...
Pros
Great culture, Campus feel, beautiful surroundings, very good benefits/pension, fast progression if you work hard.
Cons
Tedious work at times, especially for RAs and ARAs, Too many mandatory courses/workshops like bias training, Pay could be better
10 April 2021
Same roleSame location
Research Assistant (Former Employee) - Hinxton, Cambridgeshire
Good place to learn technologies, though treated like a student in primary school at times. Appraisal reflects this and resembles more like a school report rather than being conducted in the correct way.
Pros
Can learn a lot of procedures and SOPs especially good for novices
Cons
Forget this place if you are a good scientist with ambitions
16 December 2019
Same role
Research Assistant (Former Employee) - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Workplace was very relaxed. My line manager was very understanding in helping me learn the daily flow of experiments and getting used to lab work. Excellent place to work (on-site gym & good social activities).