Wellcome Sanger Institute

• Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Relaxed and positive work environment

Featured review

Wellcome Sanger Institute selected this as a representative review
Workplace was very relaxed. My line manager was very understanding in helping me learn the daily flow of experiments and getting used to lab work. Excellent place to work (on-site gym & good social activities).

No career progression. Good for those early in career.

The campus is far but nice. Free bus service mainly from Cambridge.A good place if you are early in your career or about to retire. If you have even a bit of ambition, go somewhere else. Unless you are a PI, chances are very low for advancement, also there is no transparency of this as well. If you are skilled and have experience, go somewhere else, even to the companies or the tax free haven that is EBI located on the same site.However if you just want a job, stable average pay, friendly environment (depends on team), maybe if are lucky get your name in a paper than Sanger institute is for you.Some teams/dept act like and think they are in industry, others like an academic lab...there is no synergy.Sanger is just leveraging their strong brand to recruit, but underneath there are better employers elsewhere.

Pros

Free bus service

Cons

No advancement

Great team, odd hierarchies

I was a temporary worker, I've worked at many other facilties so I feel I can provide a good insight. The work place is excellent, I loved working with the team of animal technicians at Sanger. They were all very kind and enthusiastic about their work. As a trainee you will be expected to complete an IAT level 2 course within 1 Yr of employment although I will point out that there were lots of older animal care technicians still without a license and still completing low level IAT courses despite having years of industry experience, with that being said, the company needs to encourage it's care technicians to upskill as a natural progression for an animal care technician is to go on to be a licensee. You will work directly in tandem with researchers and students working on their PhDs, so it is important to maintain a high level of professionalism. Animal Technicians are divided by a grading system (level 1-7) if you are a 1-3 your job will consist of husbandry and assisting licensees while completing the IAT courses that are on offer.Due to the lack of availability to become a licensed tech, an air of self-importance has been bred among the senior licensed animal technicians, if you are a level 1-3 you are seen as an assistant. You will be working with mice in IVCs.

Pros

They have cleaners for their facility.

Cons

Unusual hierarchy

Great Campus, great benefits/pension, pay could be better for Cambs expenses

The area is stunning, especially in the summer. Huge back fields and wetlands to wonder/ jog around and escape the lab for an hour. There's an onsite gym and sports hall and huge canteen that serves international food at "reasonable" prices, (can become quite expensive if you buy food every day at work). Three onsite coffee shops (cheap coffee) and an Amazon Locker onsite. There can be a university campus vibe to the site sometimes, with regular research presentations and a Sanger Day each year where there's lots of activities and many labs stop work. There is world leading tech in most labs, but especially in downstream applications labs such as DNA pipelines, which house row after row of cutting-edge short and long read sequencers. I have worked in two teams during my time here and had radically different experiences in both. My first line manager was a great scientist, but never present, so I felt like there was nobody to guide me in my first team as they were the expert in my field, which was frustrating. When I transferred to downstream applications, my manager is honestly one of the best I have ever experienced in my work career. Very caring, supportive and encouraging and there is a brilliant team dynamic where I am; in no short part because of my line manager. There is an unusually large number of employees here that have been at Sanger for 20+ years, which I have never seen in any other place I've worked. So take from that what you will.The benefits at Sanger are just about as good as they get and with a 15% contribution from sanger to match your pension contribution -

Pros

Great culture, Campus feel, beautiful surroundings, very good benefits/pension, fast progression if you work hard.

Cons

Tedious work at times, especially for RAs and ARAs, Too many mandatory courses/workshops like bias training, Pay could be better

Incompetent management

Good place to learn technologies, though treated like a student in primary school at times. Appraisal reflects this and resembles more like a school report rather than being conducted in the correct way.

Pros

Can learn a lot of procedures and SOPs especially good for novices

Cons

Forget this place if you are a good scientist with ambitions

Good place to gain experience

Working for Sanger as a whole was a enjoyable experience. New skills are taught rigorously and the management is supportive of developing skills in line with the role.

Good company benefits, terrible pay, management is not the best.

Nice environment, beautiful grounds, good pension and beneifits at work such as paid holidays. However, the pay is low compared to other institutes, lack of ability to voice opinion to managment, managment seem to 'work' from home often or rock in half way through the day and chat instead of do any productive work.

Do not work here!!!

This place is full of management that are some of the most unprofessional and just out right bullies. this workplace has just gone downhill used to be a fairly good place to work now I wouldn't even wish my worst enemys to work there.

Nice place, shame about the senior management

great place to work if science is your thing, you do however need to make a lot of personal effort to advance your career (such as move internally). The management operations side of things is not great either, and senior figures tend to lack in people skills somewhat.

Pros

science, facilities, work/life balance

Cons

career progression, pointless emails

Not my happiest work experience.

This job did not last long and was not my most recent employment. I can only assume that the request to review it is a random selection from my CV. The Sanger Institute is an incredible organisation that does the most amazing work, but is perhaps not the most comfortable place for people without a very strong scientific background.

Pros

Beautiful environment

Cons

Not the best place for non-scientists

Good employer

Good employer lots of on site facilities available to all staff members including full restaurant, gym and library also a nursery. friendly staff and lovely campus.

Environnement de travail extraordinaire

Un endroit pour exprimer pleinement son potentiel.

Great centre for research

Excellent campus and equipment in the laboratories. Broad range of scientific disciplines but with a focus around genomics. Great benefits in regards to childcare and pensions, but uncompetitive salaries.

World leader in genomic research

World leader in genomic research. Outstanding personnela and fantastic opportunities to engage in different areas of research. Great place to study or start a cereer in research.

horario flexible, posibilidad de trabajo remoto

Un lugar excelente para crearse un currículum en el mundo de la Ciencia.

Pros

seguro médico y pensión privados. facilidades para estudiar y promoción, horario flexible, ambiente cordial

Cons

no se encuentra en mi pais

Interesting work, poor management

While the work that goes on here is interesting (that's why most people are here to start with), the institution is let down by management that takes a very short-term view. There is little in the way of job security, and unless you are an academic researcher, nothing in the way of prospects for advancement.

Very nice environment

I am part of a small and productive team and we work closely together, bouncing off ideas and solving problems for the scientific teams. Our job is to support the scientists concentrate on their research, by taking everyday problems away from them, giving them advice and putting them in touch with the right people. My remit is varied, which makes my job interesting. I particularly enjoy planning for a big job, such as a relocation or a building project. I have learned a lot about working in a lab, from working in one myself and being involved in lab refurbishments. The Institute has been very good for me and I have been able to progress during my time here. However, I am not enjoying the current rate of growth of the Institute, as I feel I am losing the close relationships I was able to build when there was less people.

Nice group to work with

Group does interesting work and very driven colleagues. WTSI is a nice campus and there are many opportunites to meet new people and form collaboration

Pros

Interesting science

Cons

Salary

Cooperative environment

Good science and good people. I enjoyed my time there, the people are very nice and the science they do is really good. They are quite cooperative and there is a good cantine, they have an internal Gym.

Pros

Good science, at the cutting edge.

Cons

9 miles out of Cambridge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wellcome Sanger Institute. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement