Wellcome Sanger Institute

Wellcome Sanger Institute Employee Reviews for Animal Technician

Found 1 review matching the searchSee all 19 reviews

Great team, odd hierarchies

I was a temporary worker, I've worked at many other facilties so I feel I can provide a good insight. The work place is excellent, I loved working with the team of animal technicians at Sanger. They were all very kind and enthusiastic about their work. As a trainee you will be expected to complete an IAT level 2 course within 1 Yr of employment although I will point out that there were lots of older animal care technicians still without a license and still completing low level IAT courses despite having years of industry experience, with that being said, the company needs to encourage it's care technicians to upskill as a natural progression for an animal care technician is to go on to be a licensee. You will work directly in tandem with researchers and students working on their PhDs, so it is important to maintain a high level of professionalism. Animal Technicians are divided by a grading system (level 1-7) if you are a 1-3 your job will consist of husbandry and assisting licensees while completing the IAT courses that are on offer.Due to the lack of availability to become a licensed tech, an air of self-importance has been bred among the senior licensed animal technicians, if you are a level 1-3 you are seen as an assistant. You will be working with mice in IVCs.

Pros

They have cleaners for their facility.

Cons

Unusual hierarchy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wellcome Sanger Institute. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement