Welsh Water

Welsh Water Employee Reviews

Low wages, but relatively good job security. Great team members at the lower level, but management very cliquey and not very professional at times. Company image is not the reality.
Pros
Pension.
Cons
Have to work overtime to make up your wages.
Having worked for welsh water for years i have seen many changes over the yrs all for the worse tho. Sewerage operatives are THE ONLY ONE'S in the company who work a 40hrs contract every one else in company works 37hr! But we work long hrs on call out in all weathers working as single man. Lifting numerous heavy manholes day in day out. Pressure is put on us about banging jobs out do as many as you can. All changes they put on us but no extra money. Unrealistic targets figures numbers from management, mirco managed they Preach about health and safety etc but if you work the way they want you will get nothing done a day. You can try and apply for job in different departments but wont get any where unless ur face fits. Interview process is just a formality they all ready know whos got job before you attend interview. They will tell you that you didnt get job because no experience in that role. But then they give job to family members external candidates, contractors! However welsh water motto is we promote from within 🤣. There is so much stress and pressure with the role peoples mental health are suffering. You pass this info on to your supervisor and they couldnt care less. Family friendly shifts they say. Colleagues not having family time or life with kids cause of hours we work. You mention this to managment and they say speak to union. Only way you will progress within welsh water is if your useless at your current role or lazy or up managment bum holey
Pros
Decent pension and yearly bonus
Cons
No family time or life, long hours, no support from management, just a number and your always easly replaced
Overall great company to work for, loads of different departments to work at, at various locations throughout Wales . Great benefits of working for dcww/Welsh water. Bonuses, holiday entitlements, good pension scheme
Pros
Fuel cards, bonus
Cons
On call some times
Welsh Water look after their staff and offer a range of benefits and support.Great company to work for :-)Room to progress within and a clear diverse culture
Pros
Employee benefits and support
Cons
Bullied as a hereford customer service inspector. Had to leave the company. Management did nothing. No planning on daily work. All very snide people and i had a good job before coming here for what i would hope would be progression. Would not recommend. Management still do not deal with bullying as so little people on the ground they cannot follow the procedures they have in place in the wider company.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
No training provided. Poor management, Almost non existent and didn’t even ask how I was getting on. Staff seemed over worked, underpaid with a very heavy workload. Did not enjoy my time due to the disorganisation, lack of communication and ignorance of management staff.
Pros
Shift pattern
Cons
Heavy work load, disorganised management
There are lots of reviews on here reporting the virtues of working for dcww..of course I saw these before I accepted the job offer, I thought it cannot be that bad?! Surely its only the few unhappy ones spicing up their reviews a bit......WRONG!! If you are reading this, then you and I have a chance to save you...do not accept that offer!! No seriously...dont!But then maybe you're like me or other people with a modicum of faith in humanity, or you really need this job? Let's take a look at what you can 'win' by rolling this dice on dcww call centre shall we?No consistent shift pattern (even though that is what is promised at day 1). 'Training' conducted in a sterile environment by idiots which sets the bar extremely low and does not prepare you for the real job in any way. Of course then when you come out of training everything you 'know' is wrong..and of course that is your own fault.Assuming you get past all this you will then be micromanaged to the second (seriously the second). Your calls will be listened in on nit picking to a degree you cannot possibly fathom now...but you will. The good news is you are not scripted....however, they do tell you what to say, in what way, when, and how...but you're not scripted lol!!!Things you will do in the contact centre will be asking for money from the relatives of the recently deceased. Asking for card payments on every call...and I do mean every call!!!Debt investigation, complex case work, advanced billing maths, outbound calling, only going on breaks at the appointed hour and minute....not before, or after (on pain of death!!) - more...
Pros
The shift will end...i promise
Cons
Too numerous
Was with the company for 5yrs. In that time i saw people being bullied, staff being treating like children.No progression chances unless management like you or they bring in young people with no life skills who then treat long time employees poorly.Most people try to get away from the retail side of the business due to the attitude, click of managers, and back stabbing.Managers being well overpaid for not knowing what they are talking about.Pay is rubbish on retail unless you work downstairs for waste side.Staff on the whole are great and some lovely people there which I think is why people end up staying.
Pros
Free parking and home time
Cons
Management & pay
would work there again if they stopped using agency as it made me feel unsure of job security. Enjoyed the work & felt it was a safe steady job
My time at welsh water came to an abrupt end due to bullies, I found myself the victim of a setup along with other colleagues. Unfortunately the HR department are totally incompetent and failed miserably in dealing with the issues and instead took the easy way out. Anyone thinking about working here be very careful and watch your back.
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Bullies, HR department in dire need of modernisation
Welsh water has got to be the worse place I've worked for back stabbing in departments especially emergency logistics team in clydach . Hr will do nothing for a employee but constantly lie to your face .management are a waste of time got to be the worse place I've worked in .
Pros
Non
Cons
Backstabbing
Avoid at all costs. Recently left my position here. The management are clueless, childish and arrogant. Only speak to you when you have done something wrong or made a mistake. The majority of the teams here are nice people, however some are childish , arrogant and are up managements behinds to progress further. Hours are perfect for work/life balance and pay pretty good
Pros
Hours
Cons
Management, regulations, other staff
Management poor and lazy very clicky, stressful avoid avoid avoid.long calls no support, long shifts teams always split up, no consideration for staff
Cons
I believe welsh water to be one of the best companies i have worked for. Everyone I met was friendly and helpful. You are aways learning and there’s always opportunity to improve oneself! Just a great company!
Fantastic place to work and a great overall job. Good wages but I had a manager who didn't keep me on after 2 temp contracts 2x12 month contracts! I loved working here and loved it!!! Horrible cretin!
Pros
Cons
Specific manager!
DCWW is a great place to work, friendly and supportive. They really put the customer and employees first. My average day was not average as an IT project manager, I did get to speak to lots of people who really had love for their own role and this was consistent throughout the business.
- High pressured environment - Never enough support for colleagues from coaches and then managers not usually there or mostly busy - Never enough staff employed (and can't retain them either) - Facade of being concerned about mental health, giving out biscuits but Resource Managers are shouting across the call centre asking people to pick up more work Seconds in between.
DCWW work toward achieving the best experience for their customers. In all the time that I have worked in a customer service environment, I have never worked somewhere so dedicated to improving to become the best. As a not for profit, everything they do is for the good of customers or the environment. I was always proud to work there
Welsh Water is an old-fashioned organisation in so many ways. The processes and policies are out of date. There is no consideration of work life balance. Worst of all, it is extremely hierarchical - when you reach a certain level you are untouchable and can do whatever you want, while those lower down have to take the blame for mistakes made. The HR team is no exception. Working in HR is fine if you are happy to do as you’re told by people who don’t know what they are doing themselves. It would be devastating to your career to attempt to raise any questions or stand up for what’s right - the culture doesn’t allow for this. I learned a lot at Welsh Water, both from a career and personal perspective, but it was through sheer perseverance during many difficult times. I could never recommend it to a friend. This is the place to work if you just want to get ahead and are prepared to turn a blind eye, stab people in the back and beat any competition down to get there. Fortunately I am not that kind of person, so I had to leave.
Cons
Narcissism is rife, employees are seen as numbers in a team rather than actual people, complete disregard for wellbeing and mental health, total inflexibility, subservience is valued more than actual skills and knowledge.
Management only look after themselves. No consideration for any staff. Management lie and give false promises. Lost my job then was told to re-apply for the same job just under a different name...I was then told I was not successful. They want knowledgeable people out of the company to get new people in on low salaries. They sell you the dream of a pay increase but you start and stay on the lowest, your pay only goes up with the cost of living. Welsh Water is a terrible company to work for. They are a profitable company and not a not for profit company. The CEO gets a big bonus every year and the staff get ÂŁ1k bonus each also, don't let this fool you to join. Use the company as a temporary job. It is not a career unless you shag the management. Don't be fooled!!
Pros
Pays a wage
Cons
Liars, pathetic management, time wasters, ruin lives
HR is poor. Job satisfaction non existent. Surveys rigged. Bad Management, unsociable hours, not worth the salary. No career. Dead end job. High staff turnaround. Too many impossible targets and excessive workloads. A lot of travelling without compensation. Will demoralised you and lead to YOUR Health suffering. They'll then spit you out without batting an eyelid. AVOID.
  1. Employee reviews