Wessex Water

Wessex Water Employee Reviews

On the face of it with the description of the job it would seem like a fantastically interesting job to have, and the first weeks would follow that while your training, however that's where it ends. Water quality inspector is basically driving around constantly tracked to a number of sites and collecting water under the constant scrutiny of the lab scientists, always looking to blame the WQi's for any mistakes even if those mistakes are by the laboratory, your looked at as the bottom feeders of the section of compliance even though your the ones out in all weathers collecting these samples, when your on call it is 24 hours and just an excuse for the scientists to pile unessential work onto you for kicks while thinking their some kind of god's in this industry, and cold calling customers to get random samples every day is just plain awkward. The saving grace are the other workers at your level if you get a good team and a good bunch that make it a good job in that sense, but for just over 20 grand a year works out at 9.75 a hour gross for what is deemed as a key worker in a food industry role boy is it not worth it, added to that the 6 am start 5 days over 7 including bank holidays doesn't make it any better which is a real shame as potentially it could be a fantastic job but it's just worked so wrong, but you do get your van and there is overtime that's well paid,your out in the fresh air and the countryside so there are pluses, but when a customer service adviser role and a meter reader role is payed more per year than you, that's when it hits home the hardest, your not paid - more...
Without a doubt the worst company I have ever worked for.They treat you like dirt,managment are always right even when always wrong and have utter contempt for their employees..I cannot urge you enough.. Avoid at all cost.
Pros
Cons
Atrocious place to work
Job not too bad itself, management can make job a lot harder, there is a lot of managers trying to make names for themselves. You start off as an operator and get made to do other peoples jobs alongside your role for no extra money. Many double standards with management. HR are not very good, don't keep stuff confidential and don't deal with problems.
I’ve been working for Wessex for seven years now. Joined initially as a trainee quantity survey, then became an assistant and now quantity surveyor. The projects are varied and lots of exciting opportunities to really make my mark on the future initiatives. Great team, great manager.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to work on a variety of sites/projects. Career progression is great.
Cons
Can be hard work so not for the faint hearted.
I support the team in testing drinking and waste water and we operate 7 days per week. I work with such a great team here, we all work together to make sure we get the job done. The company have supported me in achieving my professional qualifications and I'm excited about my future career with the company. It's mainly Monday to Friday but when needed we work the odd weekend.
Pros
It has to be the team, we all get on so well.
Cons
Probably ththe odd weekend working.
I was offered a job at Wessex Water in February and joined on 1st April (just after COVID lock-down). I was worried about my initial few weeks but the company were absolutely brilliant. My lap top and phone arrived with really clear instructions to get set up (including a phone call first thing). They made sure I was working in a safe way and payed lots of attention to my workstation. My manager has been amazing. I had a call every day for the first week to make sure I was clear on my priorities and to check I was happy I had everything I needed to get started. Since then I've had a 121 every two weeks and lots of feedback and coaching. I really feel set up for success and very excited about my future career with the company. I'm based in Bath (Claverton) and the offices are so modern and eco friendly. The restaurant area is amazing, going to have to watch those calories! Everyone I've met so far, I would describe as professional, helpful and talented. I've had such a great three months and looking forward to what the future brings.
Pros
My team
Cons
Not always guaranteed a parking space on site
Wessex Water is a fresh and forward thinking company. When I started, I was also interested in progressing my career and knowledge of the finance sector. Qualifications were offered upon getting the role to start my AAT, for which I’m now fully qualified. Our team is great! It makes it so much easier and enjoyable to work when you work with such fantastic people. There are currently four of us in the accounts receivable side and nine in the payments side. It works really well and we work well together. We have good relationships with all areas of the business, so this makes it easier to gain information and provide information to help each other carry out our jobs to the best of our ability.
Pros
Flexible working and friendly people
Working for Wessex Water is such a great place to work. I have worked here for 16 years. Its a very supportive company, they invest in you as a person. I've gained a lot skills and experience .
Pros
Have amazing colleagues
Cons
Very fast pace
I have been at Wessex for nearly five years and can honestly say it is the best company I have ever worked for. Wessex really looks after it's employees and have a great focus on health and wellbeing. There are lots of opportunities to really shine. If you are ambitious and willing to calve your own niche then you will go far here. Our CEO started at Wessex removing false teeth from grid screens at water recycling centres! This shows that if you have the ambition to do so, you can rise to the top.
Pros
Great working culture that promoted excellence
Cons
Some internal systems need improvements
The best job I’ve ever had for so many reasons. I’m empowered by a very trusting and professional manager, I receive regular feedback and coaching, I was set very clear objectives when I started and given full training for the job. I have regular 121s with my manager and lucky enough to work with a very talented, highly engaged team.
Pros
Parking on site, awesome restaurant and coffee shop on site. Loads of lovely break out areas.
Cons
Not always guaranteed a parking space but park and ride/free Wessex bus is brilliant.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wessex Water?
WW have a beautiful head office site. The design really lends itself well to collaborative working. The leadership is dated and still relies on 1990's silo mentality. This does not work well in a modern day integrated world. The staff however are excellent and do everything they can to make this dictat work. A relaxed place to be in. But only as long as you maintain delivery standards and productivity.
Pros
Excellent people to work alongside. Great catering team on site and subsidised food.
Cons
Rather slow paced for organisation level change which also lacks coherency.
The lower management are nice enough but you are a simple number to upper management. Has a very pushy culture very close to bullying from what I have seen.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Poor upermanagment
Life at Wessex Water ranged from busy to exceptionally busy. Like many places the job description didn't always match what an individual actually did. The expectation was that you did what was ever necessary to get the job done. Consequently engineering was only part of my role. I had also become adept in operational, financial, legal and estate matters. When I was made the Manager of the team in 2013 I found my biggest challenges were HR related.
Face-paced company, by nature of the operations business. At times stressful and under pressure. Typical day at work would involve procedure writing and fault diagnosis.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long hours.
Lovely environment and mostly decent and collaborative people who struggle with an overload of work and working through antiquated and over-regulated processes. The Senior Managers of some departments are lacking in motivation and leadership skills and set in their ways. They are managers and paper pushers, not leaders.
Pros
Environment, free bus service from Park and Ride.
Cons
Too much stress; high workload; inadequate leadership; antiquated, over-regulated processes; too much governance.
Go for it you won’t regret it thought I would hate it but but probably here for life takes a bit of time to feel like you fit but the guys you work with make you feel welcome wouldn’t move unless I was offered double pay love most of it
Wessex are what you would expect of a water company. Slow paced, poor management and dreadful renumeration. There are some very good managers but some are truly shocking. If you want a slow paced job with no real challenge then Wessex is a good start. If you have kids then it would be ideal. If you want to get on as an engineer then look elsewhere
Good company for the area. Good career option. Communication was ok, sometimes could be improved from higher management, however my direct manager was good. Good extras such as family fun days and buying holiday.
The ‘old man’ culture is very alive and well at Wessex. Scratch my back I’ll scratch yours attitude. Young fit Women and mates get huge benefits over standard people. Expect to be victimised if you speak up about anything. Avoid
Brilliant company to work for Always there if you need anything management is amazing good benefits, pension bonus each month etc. Company car/ van and mobile
Day's work always varied. Meeting different people on a daily basis. Dealing with the general public. No two days are the same. Hardest part of job is being out in the cold weather repairing leaks. Enjoyable working with a great team.
  1. Employee reviews