Wessex Water

• Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Enjoyable

As a large company, you get to move around the business. Loved my time here but that depends on which team you work for. Overall best company I have worked for.

Pros

Friendly people, good pension scheme

Cons

Some teams lack good management

Good pay and benefits

Great flexible hours, fair pay and good bonuses, Job can be boring and repetitive, pressured to hit targets, working outside in all weathers, customer facing role

Not worth it.

Felt like factory work. Very repetitive.Long hours on your feet. Low pay.No progression.Under staffed. High staff turnover. Senior scientist were very nice but often expected to stay late.

Glad to move on

Very poor management. New staff aren't given the chance to earn the grades of old staff despite being expected to work harder. Senior techs paid top grades hide away pretending to be busy, even when there is urgent work to be done. Rather than challenging them, management choose to rely on new techs promising to get them a pay rise if they help out. They burn through new techs like they're disposable while the Senior techs watch videos in their phones all day long.

Pros

Lots of training courses

Cons

Management, fairness, salary, collegues.

Fast paced … poor management

Well if you are prepared to work 16hours a day for 7 days solid then Wessex waters the company for you, so customer focused they don’t care for the well-being of their field staff, the money in sewage operations is poor, you have to be a scientist, customer service representative, and be able to clear sewers, personally I would give it a miss.

Pros

Good bunch of guys to work with

Cons

Very long hours / poor management

Supportive environment wit a lot of progression opportunities

Supportive environment wit a lot of progression opportunities. Great place to work everyone how is looking for challenge and who has not fear to be busy :)

Poor

Poor management could not run a bath no Career prospects if your face doesn’t fit you’re out shocking management skills They tend to favouritism certain individuals they don’t show any respect for the work you do

Do not work for wessex water

Without a doubt the worst company I have ever worked for.They treat you like dirt,managment are always right even when always wrong and have utter contempt for their employees..I cannot urge you enough.. Avoid at all cost.

Pros

Cons

Atrocious place to work

Not bad place to work But management are terrible.

Job not too bad itself, management can make job a lot harder, there is a lot of managers trying to make names for themselves. You start off as an operator and get made to do other peoples jobs alongside your role for no extra money. Many double standards with management. HR are not very good, don't keep stuff confidential and don't deal with problems.

First class

I’ve been working for Wessex for seven years now. Joined initially as a trainee quantity survey, then became an assistant and now quantity surveyor. The projects are varied and lots of exciting opportunities to really make my mark on the future initiatives. Great team, great manager.

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on a variety of sites/projects. Career progression is great.

Cons

Can be hard work so not for the faint hearted.

Innovative and professional

I support the team in testing drinking and waste water and we operate 7 days per week. I work with such a great team here, we all work together to make sure we get the job done. The company have supported me in achieving my professional qualifications and I'm excited about my future career with the company. It's mainly Monday to Friday but when needed we work the odd weekend.

Pros

It has to be the team, we all get on so well.

Cons

Probably ththe odd weekend working.

So many positives

I was offered a job at Wessex Water in February and joined on 1st April (just after COVID lock-down). I was worried about my initial few weeks but the company were absolutely brilliant. My lap top and phone arrived with really clear instructions to get set up (including a phone call first thing). They made sure I was working in a safe way and payed lots of attention to my workstation. My manager has been amazing. I had a call every day for the first week to make sure I was clear on my priorities and to check I was happy I had everything I needed to get started. Since then I've had a 121 every two weeks and lots of feedback and coaching. I really feel set up for success and very excited about my future career with the company. I'm based in Bath (Claverton) and the offices are so modern and eco friendly. The restaurant area is amazing, going to have to watch those calories! Everyone I've met so far, I would describe as professional, helpful and talented. I've had such a great three months and looking forward to what the future brings.

Pros

My team

Cons

Not always guaranteed a parking space on site

Like a community. Great people and a lovely place to work

Wessex Water is a fresh and forward thinking company. When I started, I was also interested in progressing my career and knowledge of the finance sector. Qualifications were offered upon getting the role to start my AAT, for which I’m now fully qualified. Our team is great! It makes it so much easier and enjoyable to work when you work with such fantastic people. There are currently four of us in the accounts receivable side and nine in the payments side. It works really well and we work well together. We have good relationships with all areas of the business, so this makes it easier to gain information and provide information to help each other carry out our jobs to the best of our ability.

Pros

Flexible working and friendly people

Working for Wessex Water is such a great place to work. I have worked here for 16 years. Its a very supportive company, they invest in you as a person. I've gained a lot skills and experience .

Pros

Have amazing colleagues

Cons

Very fast pace

Fun and challenging work

I have been at Wessex for nearly five years and can honestly say it is the best company I have ever worked for. Wessex really looks after it's employees and have a great focus on health and wellbeing. There are lots of opportunities to really shine. If you are ambitious and willing to calve your own niche then you will go far here. Our CEO started at Wessex removing false teeth from grid screens at water recycling centres! This shows that if you have the ambition to do so, you can rise to the top.

Pros

Great working culture that promoted excellence

Cons

Some internal systems need improvements

Amazing company to work for

The best job I’ve ever had for so many reasons. I’m empowered by a very trusting and professional manager, I receive regular feedback and coaching, I was set very clear objectives when I started and given full training for the job. I have regular 121s with my manager and lucky enough to work with a very talented, highly engaged team.

Pros

Parking on site, awesome restaurant and coffee shop on site. Loads of lovely break out areas.

Cons

Not always guaranteed a parking space but park and ride/free Wessex bus is brilliant.

WW a great place to be

WW have a beautiful head office site. The design really lends itself well to collaborative working. The leadership is dated and still relies on 1990's silo mentality. This does not work well in a modern day integrated world. The staff however are excellent and do everything they can to make this dictat work. A relaxed place to be in. But only as long as you maintain delivery standards and productivity.

Pros

Excellent people to work alongside. Great catering team on site and subsidised food.

Cons

Rather slow paced for organisation level change which also lacks coherency.

Stressful and no job satisfaction

The lower management are nice enough but you are a simple number to upper management. Has a very pushy culture very close to bullying from what I have seen.

Pros

Company vehicle

Cons

Poor upermanagment

The Potential Is There, But Missed By Along Way

On the face of it with the description of the job it would seem like a fantastically interesting job to have, and the first weeks would follow that while your training, however that's where it ends. Water quality inspector is basically driving around constantly tracked to a number of sites and collecting water under the constant scrutiny of the lab scientists, always looking to blame the WQi's for any mistakes even if those mistakes are by the laboratory, your looked at as the bottom feeders of the section of compliance even though your the ones out in all weathers collecting these samples, when your on call it is 24 hours and just an excuse for the scientists to pile unessential work onto you for kicks while thinking their some kind of god's in this industry, and cold calling customers to get random samples every day is just plain awkward. The saving grace are the other workers at your level if you get a good team and a good bunch that make it a good job in that sense, but for just over 20 grand a year works out at 9.75 a hour gross for what is deemed as a key worker in a food industry role boy is it not worth it, added to that the 6 am start 5 days over 7 including bank holidays doesn't make it any better which is a real shame as potentially it could be a fantastic job but it's just worked so wrong, but you do get your van and there is overtime that's well paid,your out in the fresh air and the countryside so there are pluses, but when a customer service adviser role and a meter reader role is payed more per year than you, that's when it hits home the hardest, your not paid -

Overall a positive experience but not without its peaks and troughs.

Life at Wessex Water ranged from busy to exceptionally busy. Like many places the job description didn't always match what an individual actually did. The expectation was that you did what was ever necessary to get the job done. Consequently engineering was only part of my role. I had also become adept in operational, financial, legal and estate matters. When I was made the Manager of the team in 2013 I found my biggest challenges were HR related.

Good company to work for

Face-paced company, by nature of the operations business. At times stressful and under pressure. Typical day at work would involve procedure writing and fault diagnosis.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Long hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wessex Water. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Wessex Water with

• Wessex Water
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?